Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Wireless Charger Not Working After 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Taptes Wireless Charger has been working fine for a couple months, but as soon as I installed 2019.8.3, I just get a flashing orange light on the charger now. This causes the phone to cycle between charging and not every 5 seconds or so. Tried both sides of the charging mat and both USB ports. I can plug my phone directly into the usb port and it works fine which leads me to think it's the wireless charger. However, after checking other USB ports and 12 volt to USB adapters, it works fine. It appears to be specific to the wireless charging mat on the front two USB ports. Only thing I can think is that the power has been reduced to those ports, causing the charger to cycle instead of providing constant power. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Love
Reactions: arcanexvi
My Taptes Wireless Charger has been working fine for a couple months, but as soon as I installed 2019.8.3, I just get a flashing orange light on the charger now. This causes the phone to cycle between charging and not every 5 seconds or so. Tried both sides of the charging mat and both USB ports. I can plug my phone directly into the usb port and it works fine which leads me to think it's the wireless charger. However, after checking other USB ports and 12 volt to USB adapters, it works fine. It appears to be specific to the wireless charging mat on the front two USB ports. Only thing I can think is that the power has been reduced to those ports, causing the charger to cycle instead of providing constant power. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a Jeda charger, and I've experienced the same behavior as you. In particular the "cycling" from charging to not charging. I managed to fix this issue by modding the USB cables so that they're now power only, instead of power / data.

There's a thread on the Jeda charger not working after 2019.8.3 too, you can probably find some ideas there if modding the USB cables doesn't appeal to you.

Same on mine. Not sure why passenger side would work. Has anyone contacted Taptes?
I contacted them last night via their website and got the following email response.
... Have you tried to connect the wireless charger to other USB ports instead of the car's USB ports? Such as power bank, Such as power bank, use your mobile charger, or connect to your computer's USB port.

After the 2019.8.2 update, my Taptes Qi charger stopped working on the driver's side (flashing orange LED); passenger side works correctly, but it is going through an el cheapo USB hub with a 64 Gb SSD (TeslaCam) and 128 Gb flash drive (music) attached.

After reading these posts above, I attached an Anker 4 port Slim USB hub to the driver's side USB port and plugged-in the Taptes driver's side USB cable, and violà! Functioning correctly.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-28_22-8-3.png
    upload_2019-3-28_22-8-3.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 371
I received the following response from taptes:

Our Engineer Team has figured out another solution. Cut two wires in the charger and the issue will be solved. But that side will not support fast charging.
I see the page mentions this approach, but I can't find the video that would show how to do it. I think i'll go the USB splitter route instead.

I received the following response from taptes:

Our Engineer Team has figured out another solution. Cut two wires in the charger and the issue will be solved. But that side will not support fast charging.
I see the page mentions this approach, but I can't find the video that would show how to do it. I think i'll go the USB splitter route instead.

Glad I didn't just cut my wires :D Initially I thought this is some kind of joke

so... has anyone thought to just wait for a new software update?

I mean... before we go and spend money on a splitter... or permanently damage our chargers. Perhaps the prudent course of action would be to wait a bit...

idk.. maybe it's just me...

I agree. Meanwhile, a less intrusive solution would be to apply a piece of electrical tape to cover the middle two contacts in the USB connector. I haven't tried it myself because my car is in the Service Center. But it should work.

so... has anyone thought to just wait for a new software update?

I mean... before we go and spend money on a splitter... or permanently damage our chargers. Perhaps the prudent course of action would be to wait a bit...

idk.. maybe it's just me...

I just bought splitters (2). I dont want Tesla to ruin my setup in future by these updates. It's $10 for 2 spliters and will come handy for other devices.

How do people not already have a splitter or USB Hub if they are using a wireless charger and dashcam? You need three ports. I originally had taptes connected to Tesla USB on driver side and taptes and USB for dashcam plugged into my USB hub on passenger side. It quite working on the driver's side, so I simply plugged both taptes into the USB hub and move the USB for dashcam to the Tesla USB. Both sided work fine now.