Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes wireless charger tripping out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a wireless charger for my M3 and use it with a Samsung SSD. It’s fine when I just charge my iPhone but if someone puts their phone next to it to charge they both stop charging and I need to reboot the car before it will charge my phone again. Anyone else have that? Anything I can do? Thanks!

It sounds as if the charger may be overloading the USB 2.0 port on the car. It may be that Taptes haven't included proper power management in their charger, perhaps they have assumed that the car can support USB 3.0/3.1 power levels, when I believe that cars with the USB A ports can only support USB 2.0, for both data and power.

It sounds as if the charger may be overloading the USB 2.0 port on the car. It may be that Taptes haven't included proper power management in their charger, perhaps they have assumed that the car can support USB 3.0/3.1 power levels, when I believe that cars with the USB A ports can only support USB 2.0, for both data and power.

Maybe OP can let us know what version of the charger he has.

I have the USB C version and have tried charging with two phones no issues. Phone does say Fast wireless charging when I put it on so more power than their standard I presume and seems fine.

Maybe OP can let us know what version of the charger he has.

I have the USB C version and have tried charging with two phones no issues. Phone does say Fast wireless charging when I put it on so more power than their standard I presume and seems fine.

Someone's done a tear down of the latest Model 3 USB-C ports, and that seems to show that they are capable of supporting the higher power modes in the USB-C spec. All we seem to know about the older USB-A ports is that they are only USB 2.0 as far as data transfer is concerned - the ports don't have the additional 5 connections that USB 3.0/3.1 uses.

USB 2.0 current could be limited to anything from the original 500 mA spec, up to the maximum USB 2.0 supported, which was 1.5 A, IIRC. The car USB power ports should signal the available current to the device, by biasing the voltage on the data pins, but it may be that the Taptes charger isn't actually reading the available current this way, and just trying to draw as much as it needs. The chances are that doing this may drag the +5 VDC rail down low enough to cause the USB drive circuitry in the car to just shut down.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElRey
I bought a wireless charger for my M3 and use it with a Samsung SSD. It’s fine when I just charge my iPhone but if someone puts their phone next to it to charge they both stop charging and I need to reboot the car before it will charge my phone again. Anyone else have that? Anything I can do? Thanks!
Does it have 2 cables? one for each side? and have you routed them both into one USB port? if so that may be a bad idea

Does it have 2 cables? one for each side? and have you routed them both into one USB port? if so that may be a bad idea
It came with splitter wires, so the left one splits into 2 and 1 goes to the Samsung SSD for sentry and the other into the left wireless charging side. The right one just goes into the right wireless side and this is the side I charge my iphone.

So should I just buy a Tesla one then?

i’ve been lurking.
Now that we own two phones that can charge wirelessly I was interested in seeing your outcome.
I checked out Tesla’s wireless pad. It uses both type A ports and if you want to use a sentry recorder, unplug one of the charger bays.
Not exactly a good solution. The type A ports are clearly minimally powered.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Does anyone have an issue where you can't use a wireless charger with the first two (from the left hand side) charge ports and an SSD at the same time?

I got TapTes to send me a replacement, thinking I had a faulty unit, but the new one operates exactly the same.

If I use it with the wireless charger in 1 and 3 for example, then it all works fine! I've got the official Tesla charging pad if that makes any difference.

Is your wireless charger one USB-C cable or two USB-A cables? I read that the only port that supports high power USB on the Taptes hub is the first (left) USB-C port. My Sept 2020 car came with the single USB-C charger pad and I have no problems using the hub.

Is your wireless charger one USB-C cable or two USB-A cables? I read that the only port that supports high power USB on the Taptes hub is the first (left) USB-C port. My Sept 2020 car came with the single USB-C charger pad and I have no problems using the hub.

Mines an earlier car with two USB A, the Hub Pro I’ve got has power and data to all ports, so in theory should be OK, but sadly doesn’t work properly with this hub if I don’t space out the connections