Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tar remover & washing machines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are not a good combination!

I gave Starbug a thorough clean this afternoon including using some Gtechniq W7 Tar and Glue Remover to get rid of the black spots before applying a "ceramic" spray wax (Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic)

As always I threw the used wash mitt and cloths into a bucket ready to go in the washer not thinking that I should probably exclude the one used for the tar - mistake 1. Into the washer they go and then after about a minute, just long enough for the drum to fill and the door to lock, the smell fills the kitchen. Too late now, I think, might as well just leave it in for the detergent to clean out - mistake 2.
Queue the wife hitting the roof about the smell gassing us all and destroying her washing machine while I "just wander off" to finish tidying up.
Hey Google! What's in tar remover? White spirit
Hey Google! How do I get white spirit out of a washing machine before my wife beheads me and uses my blood to clean it instead? If you're in trouble you I can't call the emergency services....

Comparing what the internet said with what's in my kitchen I dumped half a bag of soda crystals into the machine and set it away at 90 degrees... twice. That's two 2.5hour cycles.
It still smells a bit so I figured that while the heat would help evaporate the spirits, letting it cool back down while spinning was likely to be unhelpful so I set it away a third time with a load of laundry detergent then stopped the cycle and set it to drain after it had finished heating. This seems to have done the trick as the cloths don't smell after hand rinsing them so I've left the washing machine door open and the kitchen window ajar (during the worst storm since 2013 apparently).

Fingers crossed it's all back to normal by tomorrow, has anyone made a similar mistake?

Oh yeah and my consumer mind paid £8 for 500ml of tar remover whereas white spirit is something £2/litre at WIlkos et al.

I tried and it seemed to work well but I was concerned about its effects on the paintwork which in hindsight is probably silly given the alternatives.
I have heard similar concerns voiced but never heard anyone actually sight a problem. At the end of the day it's a petroleum spirit derivative and if those were a problem for brief exposure to paint every ICE car would have most of the paint missing around their fuel filler after a few years so I guess its probably OK though I haven't actually tried it myself yet

Most importantly, did it work on your car? ;)
I hope this bottle will last a long time but I'll keep the dodo juice in mind!
Yeah it worked really well. It was quite windy and my neighbours cars are in close proximity so I was spraying the cloth then rubbing a spot at a time. I could see it being easier if I could just spray an entire panel and leave it for 2 mins.
I then gave treated panels a rinse and another wash with a soapy mitt to take the residue off.

I note that the plastic bottle says not to use on plastic but the bumpers are covered in the same clearcoat as the rest of the paint so I went ahead. I know petrol will some plastics. Last year in Malaysia I stopped to help someone that had run out of fuel, so he grabbed a drinks bottle from the boot of this car and off we went. I was borrowing a relative's car so paranoid that the bottle would disintegrate but fortunately it was only 1km back to his car.

Rubbish Life Pro Tip: tar remover has great beading properties so can be used in place of wax :D

Reactions: DJP31