Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Target to Install 600 Charging Stations at More Than 100 Stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Target said this week it has partnered with Tesla, ChargePoint and Electrify America to install more than 600 charging stations at more than 100 stores.

The retailer has already deployed chargers at 18 stores in five states. The full plan will expand the program across 20 states.

Target began investing in electric vehicle charging stations in its parking lots back in 2012 by partnering with ChargePoint. In 2017, Target teamed up with Tesla to pilot its Superchargers and plans to expand the partnership in 2018.

“Accelerating our efforts to install new charging stations at Target stores across the country is one way we’re building on our commitment to investing in solutions that leave our communities better for future families,” said John Leisen, vice president, Property Management at Target. “And it’s an opportunity to work with industry-leading partners to bring a more convenient shopping experience to guests as we look to design lower-carbon solutions throughout our entire operation.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this list of states if you want a better idea of where they will be installing them.

Number of Target Stores in the US by State

While I hope the 20 states don't match the top 20 on this list as my state isn't in the top 20, I expect it will. Turns out TN is tied for 21st.
Same here! I am in Middle TN (Nashville area) and I would love to see some Tesla Super Chargers at maybe a Target store that is located nearer to me than the only one in the Brentwood/Cool Springs area. I live in Hendersonville.

How about a list of the 100 stores where Target is planning to install the Tesla Super Chargers. If they know they're putting in 600 Super Chargers in 100 stores, surely they know which stores they're putting them in. Let's see that list, before I get too excited about it, how about it?:p

I believe you accidentally misread the article. Electrify America (VW DieselGate settlement $$$) are installing ChargePoint vehicle chargers at Targets, not Tesla Superchargers... :(

Reactions: doghousePVD
Reactions: CBPfromTN
I welcome this initiative. Tesla itself cannot electrify the country, so to achieve a real tipping point where EVs matter, every help is appreciated.

My personal experience with ChargePoint has always been positive (and no, I don't have any affiliation with them).

One cannot underestimate the relentlessness of ladies hitting a shopping mall or an outlet mall. It never is a quick 5 minutes stop for the necessities. I'd rather take on re-staining a fence or a siding (and watch the paint dry in the process) than coming along on a shopping excursion. Grabbing a good piece to read and letting the car to sip the electrons in slowly wins every time. It might not make much sense when you are living nearby and can reach back home comfortably to do a proper charge. While on the road though, even these extra 20-25 miles of range can make a difference.

• Funny
How about a list of the 100 stores where Target is planning to install the Tesla Super Chargers. If they know they're putting in 600 Super Chargers in 100 stores, surely they know which stores they're putting them in. Let's see that list, before I get too excited about it, how about it?:p

I think at least some have shown up in the supercharger rumor threads. I saw one posted for San Diego in a target parking lot, it has been permitted but nothing added to the Tesla sc map as future location yet. It has me wondering if they were holding off adding some of these to the map until the press release.

• Informative
I think at least some have shown up in the supercharger rumor threads. I saw one posted for San Diego in a target parking lot, it has been permitted but nothing added to the Tesla sc map as future location yet. It has me wondering if they were holding off adding some of these to the map until the press release.

Or maybe they're waiting for the VW DieselGate "Electrify America" money...

Or maybe they're waiting for the VW DieselGate "Electrify America" money...
That wouldn’t make sense. The process is already underway. I merely meant Tesla has not updated the map of superchargers to show the new potential location. Either they are slow to update the map, or they had reason not to list it yet. Your guess is as good as mine which it is, but I don’t see how waiting to add it to the map would have anything g to do with electrify America money.

public level 2 chargers are junk, you charge for 30minutes while you are at the store and you get like 4 miles of charge?

Do you drive 150 mph everywhere you go?

wait scratch that, I just read https://www.chargepoint.com/files/datasheets/ds-ct4000.pdf OMG I had no idea they actually make public L2s that go as low as 1.9KW on 240V.

chargpoint.PNG

I guess you must have been on one of those gutless wonders.

I don't see the purpose of putting a low KW charger at a retail store where you might not be there for 30 minutes.

Definitely better than nothing but I hope Target doesn't low ball the install like that.

Last edited:
I believe you accidentally misread the article. Electrify America (VW DieselGate settlement $$$) are installing ChargePoint vehicle chargers at Targets, not Tesla Superchargers... :(
Oh....Well, the article I read clearly said Tesla Super Chargers were going to be installed at Target stores, maybe they won't ALL be Tesla Super Chargers but maybe you accidentally read a different report than I did. I am sure my Target stores won't have them regardless :confused:

Reactions: BrokerDon
Oh....Well, the article I read clearly said Tesla Super Chargers were going to be installed at Target stores, maybe they won't ALL be Tesla Super Chargers but maybe you accidentally read a different report than I did. I am sure my Target stores won't have them regardless :confused:
Actually there is a Tesla Supercharger coming to San Rafael and since that Target store has 20 level 2 chargers it would not surprise me to see the supercharger at that location.

It seems like you are more correct based on every article I have seen. Walmart is just doing electrify america as far as I have seen, but every article about Target says they are doing Electrify america, tesla, and chargepoint. direct quote from Aljohn's link above.:

Target announced its own plans with Electrify America, as well as with Tesla and ChargePoint, to deploy “more than 600 chargers” at “over 100 stores.”

The Fremont Hub Target Supercharger just went live. 12 SC stalls and 4 Chargepoint ones. Probably a pilot for the larger effort?
Out of curiosity, where is it in relation to the store? I may be giving them too much credit for being consistent across sites, but I'm hoping they focus on going on the side of the building or out in the lot rather than right up front to reduce chances of getting ICEd so often.

Out of curiosity, where is it in relation to the store? I may be giving them too much credit for being consistent across sites, but I'm hoping they focus on going on the side of the building or out in the lot rather than right up front to reduce chances of getting ICEd so often.
They’re on the far side of the parking lot along the road. ICEing shouldn’t be a problem unless the person is just being an a-hole and wants to walk all the way across the parking lot to get to Target. Plus this site will be so busy with charging once it appears on the map that a gas car wouldn’t be able to get in there if they wanted to.

Reactions: edlin303