Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tarting up the 18" alloys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I've been running my 3 LR with the aero covers on for most of the time I've had it. I briefly pulled the covers off, but really didn't like the dark paint on them. So, I'm thinking of getting them stripped and powder coated in silver. It seems some others have done it, as below:

image-jpg.498069

Any opinions? My 3 is white, but I reckon it'll still look OK.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
I like them, I am not a fan of black wheels. When I was growing up any cars that were worse for wear had manky old dirty steel wheels, then came wheel trims and more affordable alloys. Try as I might I can’t shake the association. I do recognise there are some fab black polished alloys though but in other than pristine condition I still look on them less fondly.

It’s all a personal choice I’m just explaining my historical and somewhat irrational bias. I’ve gone for the 19” sports as they fill the space better but you’re getting the benefit of silver and a more comfortable ride. Win win in my book.

I thought of taking off the wheel covers untill all the young guys and kids on my road said I love the wheels they look realy cool. I'm 69 and the young on my street think my car looks cool so the covers are staying :) It just goes to show how the young generations outlook is totally different to us older guys who see alloy wheels as an upgrade. I must admit I was going to remove the wheel covers untill I saw the red car with them on and they go with it very well.

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Beatjammer
These are my silver rims with winter tyres. I run them without aeros unless on a long run. That way I can see when I need to reduce regeneration and clean up the discs.

Attachments

• IMG-20211024-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211024-WA0001.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: pdk42
If you prefer the silver then do It. IMO the silver makes them look like every Ford and similar mundane cars.
If I’m honest I’d prefer the 19” rims in silver, ideally on a red car. I should have ordered it that way, but red cars and 19” wheels at the time were an almost immediate 2-3 month added delay.

PS - I’m guessing you’re the teaston from f30post? Welcome! How are you liking the Tesla after the f31? Personally, I still love the look of the f31, and the straight six in my 335i occasionally evokes wistful thoughts! But overall, I’m still pretty happy with my move to an EV.

Reactions: teaston
If I’m honest I’d prefer the 19” rims in silver, ideally on a red car. I should have ordered it that way, but red cars and 19” wheels at the time were an almost immediate 2-3 month added delay.

PS - I’m guessing you’re the teaston from f30post? Welcome! How are you liking the Tesla after the f31? Personally, I still love the look of the f31, and the straight six in my 335i occasionally evokes wistful thoughts! But overall, I’m still pretty happy with my move to an EV.
Yes, that’s me!

After 6 BMWs in a row I have no regrets at al moving to the Tesla. Only thing I miss is the birds eye view parking camera, but then the Tesla has so many features that the BMW didn’t!