Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmania to get EV stamp duty waiver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the Liberals election promises - quietly published on their website last week - was:

Provide a two-year stamp duty waiver for all new and second-hand Electric Vehicles

Tasmania is ideally suited to benefit from the transition to electric vehicles with our clean, low cost and reliable renewable energy, while at the same time reduce our dependence on imported fuels.

However the higher upfront cost has been identified as one of the main barriers for those wishing to make the switch to an Electric Vehicle (EV).

To assist Tasmanians to purchase an EV, a re-elected Majority Government will provide a stamp duty waiver for all new and second-hand EVs purchased in Tasmania for the next two years.

For a new mid-range EV, this will reduce initial purchase costs by around $2,000, providing a significant boost to encourage interested Tasmanians to make the switch to an EV and support this growing market in Tasmania.

This works out to $2650 for a Model 3 SR+ and about $3200 for a Model 3 LR.

My personal issue is that I have a Model 3 on order and want to put it on hold (if necessary) - I don't know when this will take effect!

Reactions: AussieOwner
Write to Treasury. It won't take effect until it's officially gazetted.
I already wrote to them on Thursday night, asking a general question about the process required. They said they couldn't comment on "hypothetical changes to legislation".

I would ask them again tomorrow but they probably would just brush me off until after the new MPs and cabinet are sworn in.

I have it in writing from the leader of the Tas government that this legislation...not drawn up yet... is scheduled for the 2nd half of this year.
Also a public policy statement:

Provide a two-year stamp duty waiver for all new and second-hand Electric Vehicles

Tasmania is ideally suited to benefit from the transition to electric vehicles with our clean, low cost and reliable renewable energy, while at the same time reduce our dependence on imported fuels.

However the higher upfront cost has been identified as one of the main barriers for those wishing to make the switch to an Electric Vehicle (EV).

To assist Tasmanians to purchase an EV, a re-elected Majority Government will provide a stamp duty waiver for all new and second-hand EVs purchased in Tasmania for the next two years.

For a new mid-range EV, this will reduce initial purchase costs by around $2,000, providing a significant boost to encourage interested Tasmanians to make the switch to an EV and support this growing market in Tasmania. END

Reactions: Nickdp