Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmanian Fast / Ultra Fast chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What most people don't realise (and luckily for Model 3 owners), is that you don't need the industry-standard 22kW

Cheaper from other places at around $265 for 5m 22kW from JetCharge and EVSE.
The problem with the 11kW cables however is they are only rated to 16A, so if you find a single phase point you are limited to 3.8kW. They are a bit lighter though.

Was definitely an accessory on my shopping list. Doesn't take up too much space in the frunk curled around the edges.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
if you find a single phase point you are limited to 3.8kW
Agreed - the 22kW version would cover for all contingencies, for a few $$'s more, definitely worth the peace of mind.
When you said "I don't want to spend all that money" I got the impression that cost was an important determining factor hence the pointer to the 11kW cable.
FWIW I have the 11kW onboard charger and carry the Mennekes 22kW cable bought from the Tesla shop for $305 when the car was delivered.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
When I bought my Model S in 2016 there were 4 destination chargers in Tasmania. This had increased to about 10 when I did a road trip of the state about 6 months later, but it was still a white-knuckle drive from Hobart to Strahan, 315km over the mountains into a cold headwind, with no hope of anything more than a friendly stranger’s power plug if we were caught short.
Now just 3 years later it’s hard to believe the progress! DC charging all over the place. 350kW charging in Campbelltown! Incredible.
Once the “rona” is gone it might be time for another lap of the island :)

Reactions: Hairyman and moa999
Electric Highway Tasmania has just launched their website! Electric Highway Tasmania - Home

Eventually all sites will have a DC 50 kW fast charger, a 22 kW AC charger, and a credit card reader so you can pay with just a credit card (or via the Chargefox app)
  • Sites fully commissioned: Devonport, Burnie
  • Sites partially commissioned (just the 50 kW charger installed so far, the rest coming): Queenstown, Derwent Bridge
  • Sites under construction: St Helens, Swansea

Well it's been a long time since I updated this thread, but we now have all EHT sites (6x as mentioned in the previous post) active.

There were certainly enough for the Tas Government to hold an event in February announcing the network as "complete" - that is, there are enough DC fast chargers at a close enough gap that any *new* EV can get between them.

(Note, a bit of confusion by the writer of that article between "the Tasmanian electric vehicle fast charging network" which is what the Tas Government calls the collection of all fast chargers (14 at the time), most of which were funded by them, and "Electric Highway Tasmania" who is the company that operates 6 of the stations.)

We've also had Evie complete their second 350 kW site (Brighton) with construction imminent at their third site (Westbury). So that will be 16 sites.

There were also a couple of unexpected extras - the VW dealer in Launceston and Audi dealer in Hobart both installed 50 kW units! Notionally open to all but you know how dealerships can be so I don't count them as part of the network.

Of course it's great having all these, but it's even better that they're being well used - which means traffic jams!

Swansea:
1621164548362.png

Brighton:
1621164887088.png

Campbell Town:
1621165046830.png

Or sometimes chargers being unavailable... recently the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery took over the part of the car park with the sole Hobart 50 kW charger in it for a week. The Kempton Mood Food unit was removed completely while the site undergoes renovations. An owner was told there would be 3x units coming to the site later in the year!

So, obviously we need MORE!

The next batch will come courtesy of the ARENA Future Fuels Fund. This is happening all over the country, but in Tassie there is a region surrounding Hobart that is covered and the expectation is that there will be 4-5 sites as a result of this funding. The expectation is that Sorell and Kingston will be among the sites covered. We should find out who, where and when within the next month or so.

We've also just had a state election, and the sitting government was re-elected - and their EV policy promised another 600k in funding for charging stations. The wording of the policy actually gave examples of locations that could be covered:

To get more Tasmanians behind the wheel of an EV and driving in our regions, a re-elected Majority Liberal Government will provide a further $600,000 in grants towards fast-charging and destination stations in regional Tasmanian locations and key tourism destinations not currently well serviced with charging infrastructure.

Possible locations for EV charging infrastructure could include Bicheno, Cygnet, Dunalley, Dover, Miena (Central Plateau), Ouse, Oatlands, Port Arthur, Smithton, Southport, Strahan, Tullah, and Triabunna.

I don't know why they would specifically list locations, perhaps they wanted to get picked up by local news outlets. Anyway, I'm guessing the method will be similar to before, with grants per site, which would mean another 10-12 locations. Expect this to take place some time in the current term (four years)!

Previous post was too long for the forum to accept..

And of course, we have a whole thread about the first Tesla supercharger in the state, at East Devonport! They have also added Hobart to their map for 2022 (but my observations of other locations on that map over the years has set my expectations at a more realistic level!)

So that makes it 16 sites now (plus two "dealership chargers"), another 4-5 coming in the next year, another 10-12 coming after that, PLUS Tesla superchargers. And that's only what has been announced so far!

So, that's a bit of a wrap up of the "state of the state". Perhaps if I update the thread more often I won't need to make each post as long!

Long time between updates to this thread...

The ARENA grants are covered in another thread.

The Chargesmart (state government) second round successful applicants have just been announced!

Successful grant applicants​

OrganisationLocationRegionAmount
Central Highlands TasmaniaMienaCentral$50,000
Dorset CouncilDerbyNorth-East$25,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaDunalleyEast$45,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaTriabunnaEast$20,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaOuseCentral$20,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaFingalEast$25,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaExeterNorth$50,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaCradle MountainNorth-West$40,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaSmithtonNorth-West$50,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaWaratahNorth-West$20,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaMaydenaSouth-West$25,000
Electric Highway TasmaniaTullahWest$25,000
Electrona Pty LtdBichenoEast$50,000
Energy ROIGeorge TownNorth$32,500
Energy ROIStrahanWest$50,000
Huon Valley CouncilCygnetSouth$30,000
Kentish CouncilSheffieldNorth-West$20,000
Southern Midlands CouncilOatlandsCentral$45,000
University of TasmaniaBurnieNorth$50,000
Westminster 1257 Pty LtdBruny IslandSouth$38,000
Total$710,500

Now.. I'm not sure if all these are 50 kW... I believe some may be 25 kW. Or maybe 75 kW? Yet to be confirmed.

But that's a great result!

(Green dotted circles on map includes 4 out of the 10 ARENA locations near Hobart, and 20 Chargesmart locations)

1636548602736.png

That's an amazing map. What kind of time period do we think these will be installed over?

Either way it makes it 100% more likely we will take the EV over the ICE on our next trip down south. Especially, for my usual trip, those up around Smithton, Cradle Mountain, Sheffield. (Not that the distance to Burnie/Devonport was huge).

I do wonder about Stanley though. Being such a tourist destination, still surprised to see nothing on plugshare. Again, not a huge distance to Burnie, but it doesn't allow a lot of flexibility for exploring with a shorter range car.

That's an amazing map. What kind of time period do we think these will be installed over?

Either way it makes it 100% more likely we will take the EV over the ICE on our next trip down south. Especially, for my usual trip, those up around Smithton, Cradle Mountain, Sheffield. (Not that the distance to Burnie/Devonport was huge).

I do wonder about Stanley though. Being such a tourist destination, still surprised to see nothing on plugshare. Again, not a huge distance to Burnie, but it doesn't allow a lot of flexibility for exploring with a shorter range car.
I would guess most of them by the end of next year. The last ones took about 18 months and that was over the height of Covid - plus those were some of the first ones in the state, and in some cases for any of the organisations involved.

I think Stanley used to have something on Plugshare (something basic, like a recreation ground power outlet?) but the owner wanted it removed.

Funny that after looking at this I also started to look for the areas that were missing coverage. I feel bad because I feel like I'm being ungrateful! The west coast from Smithton down through Arthur River/Corinna to Zeehan/Strahan is 259 km. But it also includes a river crossing with a barge that only operates during daylight/business hours so I don't think it is classified as a universally accessible route.

But apart from that, I don't think there is anywhere that could be deemed out of range for any new EVs, and most older/range reduced ones as well.

So EHT, a bunch of councils/ universities (who will presumably outsource to EHT or Chargefox/Evie), then the Bruny Hotel (seems to link to Westminster 1257).

And then Energy ROI (seem to be a Longford based energy management consultancy) and Electrona Pty Ltd (itself a town name) winning in Bicheno.

Reactions: Chuq
Yes - wouldn't fit on the map. I only included 4 of the 10 ARENA locations for Hobart as well. I might need to do another version of the map with an inset for Hobart!
Thanks for keeping us updated Chuq. Can’t wait to travel around TAS on renewable energy! Just need a 7 seat Y to fit the family if it ever comes to Aus.

Reactions: Chuq
So EHT, a bunch of councils/ universities (who will presumably outsource to EHT or Chargefox/Evie), then the Bruny Hotel (seems to link to Westminster 1257).

And then Energy ROI (seem to be a Longford based energy management consultancy) and Electrona Pty Ltd (itself a town name) winning in Bicheno.
Yep, I did the same investigation into the other businesses :)

I think a lot of the councils were already working with EHT, but were submitted under the council name. It probably wouldn't have looked good if more than half of the successful grants went to one business! EHT use Chargefox as a billing partner. An arrangement that will no doubt continue, since it seems Marty Andrews, CEO of Chargefox, is now an EHT director!

EnergyROI installed the Scottsdale charger in the first round. They used Chargefox as a billing partner, so hopefully will continue.

I have no idea about Electrona Pty Ltd - the business was only registered in August this year!

The other one you didn't mention was Central Highlands Tasmania. Note this isn't the council (Central Highlands Council) but a business Central Highlands Tasmania Pty Ltd. This is the business that owns the Great Lake Hotel ... and pretty much every commercial premise in the town!

Can’t imagine too much range anxiety in Tassie with that kind of coverage?!
Definitely not! To be honest, there mostly isn't really any now, but it's nice that this allows people to be able to more easily stop and charge where it suits them, rather than have stops dictated by the charging station locations. It also provides owners of old Leafs, etc. a bit more confidence. And for longer range EVs, if a site is busy or unavailable, you can just keep going until the next one.

Reactions: Vostok and nigwil

The NRMA has today announced a minority investment into Electric Highway Tasmania (EHT) to fast track the charging infrastructure needed to connect Tasmania.

The investment will empower motorists to feel confident in making the transition to electric vehicles sooner by opening up EV tourism in the island state boasting some of the country’s most spectacular mountains, lakes and coastal scenery.

EHT is a Tasmanian-based small business created by electric vehicle enthusiasts to begin the process of building fast-charging infrastructure. The organisation was established in 2017 and will extend the current network of six sites to at least 27 charging locations providing full coverage of the island by mid-2023.

It has critically acquired funding support from both the State Government ChargeSmart Grants and the Commonwealth Government Future Fuels Fund through ARENA. NRMA’s investment will boost those funding levels.

Note this appears to just be funding. It doesn't appear to impact their arrangement with Chargefox for activating/billing.

Speaking of EHT, an EHT rep recently said they're using Kempower equipment for at least some of their newer sites. Makes sense since Chargefox will be using them in South Australia too.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999