Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit and deduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused and hoping someone here and help clear up. We are looking into the Model X, and we own a S Corp. We would like to take advantage of the $7500 federal credit and also the hummer credit. Does the car has to be under the company's in order to take advantage of the hummer credit? Since S Corp does not pay any taxes, and everything flows through to the owner's personal return, how does the $7500 credit work when the car is under the business's name? I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly putting the car either under personal or business name and avoid any surprises only comes tax time. Thanks in advance!!

I am also interested in the answer. I am in a similar situation although I have an LLC in which the concepts are the same. My limited research has determined that the tax credit will pass through to my personal return, presumably on my K-1. As far as the Hummer credit is concerned, it simply allows the corp or llc to accelerate depreciation for the Model X which reduces the income of the entity that reports. I don't expect to get my Model X until early summer so I intend to talk with my tax accountant about structure after I file last years return.

I am also interested in the answer. I am in a similar situation although I have an LLC in which the concepts are the same. My limited research has determined that the tax credit will pass through to my personal return, presumably on my K-1. As far as the Hummer credit is concerned, it simply allows the corp or llc to accelerate depreciation for the Model X which reduces the income of the entity that reports. I don't expect to get my Model X until early summer so I intend to talk with my tax accountant about structure after I file last years return.

Ampster, that is the absolute best advice. Consult with your tax professional in advance to determine how to effect your purchase. The Internal Revenue Code should be your slave, and not your master. Regrettably too many people have this backwards.