Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit and Model Y delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the following in an article:

“For some vehicles, the credit might only be partial. “I’m thinking that maybe the Tesla Model 3 and Y would qualify for half of the $7,500 credit under the battery components requirement but not likely the minerals requirement,” says Loren McDonald of EV Adoption, an electric vehicle research, analysis, and marketing firm.”

Read the following in an article:

“For some vehicles, the credit might only be partial. “I’m thinking that maybe the Tesla Model 3 and Y would qualify for half of the $7,500 credit under the battery components requirement but not likely the minerals requirement,” says Loren McDonald of EV Adoption, an electric vehicle research, analysis, and marketing firm.”
I was wondering about that. I was reading through the bill and came across the battery and mineral requirements. I have no idea how Tesla is positioned in this area. I would imagine all of the other companies would be facing the same issues. We will have to wait and see how this plays out.

I ordered in January when the price was $59k and today my config would be $66k. That basically makes it a wash with the new $7.5k tax credit
If the MY qualifies for the new credit I suspect more price increase will come…. Until EVs are more widely and readily available for purchase the tax credits will mostly benefit qualifying EV manufacturers who will then be able to further raise prices. This situation is insane….

I have an order in for a Long Range Model Y, and would qualify for the credit, but my EDD is November 13 - December 25. Will I be able to delay delivery in order to get the credit? What's the process for doing that? Thanks!
Most likely your car will be ready much sooner than your current EDD. They are running about 2-4 months ahead so I wouldn’t be surprised if your car comes in the next month or so. As of last week, I was told you can reject the first VIN assigned, then you’ll have to take the second VIN or they cancel. The second VIN could happen pretty fast.

Also, Tesla might change the current policy at any time. So you may not even be able to reject the first VIN. Who knows?

I have an order in for a Long Range Model Y, and would qualify for the credit, but my EDD is November 13 - December 25. Will I be able to delay delivery in order to get the credit? What's the process for doing that? Thanks!
There are many different opinions/thoughts on delaying your MY. There are also personal accounts of TMC members being able to delay until the original EDD. I'm not sure how it will play out for individuals. When I first asked this question RoboRaT proded me to actually read my Order Agreement (thank you!).
It says:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

It looks like, by the Order Agreement, you would have 30 days after Tesla's first attempt to notify you. Of course, the EDD is a flexable date so you may receive notice earlier than your EDD or later than your EDD. With your EDD, you may not be able to delay into the next year but that would depend on Tesla's ability to make the EDD. Best of luck!!

Most likely your car will be ready much sooner than your current EDD. They are running about 2-4 months ahead so I wouldn’t be surprised if your car comes in the next month or so. As of last week, I was told you can reject the first VIN assigned, then you’ll have to take the second VIN or they cancel. The second VIN could happen pretty fast.

Also, Tesla might change the current policy at any time. So you may not even be able to reject the first VIN. Who knows?
I dont think so I have a basic MYLR ordered last November and the date kept getting pushed out from March to October at one point. I finally got a two week window at the end of July and even got called from Tesla. The next day they pushed it to a 6 week September window. Right now its a 4 week window late August. They have a big backlog.

I dont think so I have a basic MYLR ordered last November and the date kept getting pushed out from March to October at one point. I finally got a two week window at the end of July and even got called from Tesla. The next day they pushed it to a 6 week September window. Right now its a 4 week window late August. They have a big backlog.
Anybody who will be eligible for the tax credit and placed an order after the first big price increase in March would be better off financially to wait until 2023. Prices are now $6,000 higher than when I ordered in March. I really hope my delivery gets accelerated- I would try to sell it for a profit and then reorder for 2023 to take advantage of the credit. My ICE vehicle will continue to serve me well until this situation settles down.

Reactions: FFCars
Anybody who will be eligible for the tax credit and placed an order after the first big price increase in March would be better off financially to wait until 2023. Prices are now $6,000 higher than when I ordered in March. I really hope my delivery gets accelerated- I would try to sell it for a profit and then reorder for 2023 to take advantage of the credit. My ICE vehicle will continue to serve me well until this situation settles down.
How does sales tax work here? Do you pay sales tax on the price before the discount. As a result your benefit May be less than you think.

Reactions: cdub
What if Tesla raises the prices again? I ordered MYP in July. So I have the higher rate. I do have a ICE car as my backup daily right now which I can continue to use. I could probably update my order to a MYLR configuration which puts the EDD into next year. And then once January rolls around I’d go back and change the order back to my desired configuration. Would that work?
Also I’m assuming that between all the order changes I would continue to be priced per my OD and not any other price should it change in the future

What if Tesla raises the prices again? I ordered MYP in July. So I have the higher rate. I do have a ICE car as my backup daily right now which I can continue to use. I could probably update my order to a MYLR configuration which puts the EDD into next year. And then once January rolls around I’d go back and change the order back to my desired configuration. Would that work?
Also I’m assuming that between all the order changes I would continue to be priced per my OD and not any other price should it change in the future
Even with a change based on your location you will get either car this year.

How does sales tax work here? Do you pay sales tax on the price before the discount. As a result your benefit May be less than you think.
Sales tax definitely comes into play….the credit applies after tax. The net difference for me would only be $1,000. (Lower price vs higher price less credit) A bigger gain would come if I was able to sell my current order for a profit…which appears probable based on KBB values.

Tesla my indeed raise prices again…but they are close to pricing themselves out of the market. I would bet a good number of people buying a MY won’t receive the credit because of income limitations.

I heard that you can only switch from MP to MLR only once and vice versa to avoid people from doing that..And now with this possible tax credit, Tesla will be more strict with modifying orders. I would not take the chance of switching it then getting stuck with the long range if you don't want it and or having them cancel your order. The house always wins...Either way, I hope people decline orders so I can get my MYLR earlier!!!

Reactions: Yelobird
I heard that you can only switch from MP to MLR only once and vice versa to avoid people from doing that..And now with this possible tax credit, Tesla will be more strict with modifying orders. I would not take the chance of switching it then getting stuck with the long range if you don't want it and or having them cancel your order. The house always wins...Either way, I hope people decline orders so I can get my MYLR earlier!!!

Nah, I switched back and forth a few weeks ago before getting my vin. Didn’t have any issues.