Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit and Model Y delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when is the President signing the bill? and what is the hold up since the house and senate have passed?
Once it is passed we would have a clearer understanding of what it means in terms of savings for different models.
why the delay
I believe he'll be signing today or tomorrow. While you might be happy about it, there's a lot of other EV buyers that might be scrambling to get deals signed since as soon as Biden signs this new one the old one won't apply. People like Rivian will be left out and Audi and Porsche already commented that they wouldn't be included once the new bill is signed...

I believe he'll be signing today or tomorrow. While you might be happy about it, there's a lot of other EV buyers that might be scrambling to get deals signed since as soon as Biden signs this new one the old one won't apply. People like Rivian will be left out and Audi and Porsche already commented that they wouldn't be included once the new bill is signed...

Rivian and others (like VinFast) kind of have this work around, see attached, to have a signed contract before the new bill becomes law.

Hopefully it all work out.
Screenshot_20220816-111037_Gmail.jpg

If you owe more than $7500 in taxes at that time, I don't, so the $3750 or $7500 does not matter to me.. I want my Tesla now!
hey can you please explain what you mean by this?

your comment implies that the tax credit is only good if we owe money to the IRS?
so does this mean that the credit won't be applied at the point of sale (at the dealership)?
if the credit is not applied at the point of sale then how do people who don’t owe IRS money benefit from this?

Anyone have any insights into when we'll know for sure if Tesla MYLR qualifies? I know there was some potential issues with the battery manufacturing process.

I have a delivery date of mid September to October and would like to get the $7500 credit but unlikely I can delay it for 3+ months. I believe someone mentioned earlier we could try adding the 7 seat option which will delay the delivery and then choose to remove the 7 seater at a later date?

hey can you please explain what you mean by this?

your comment implies that the tax credit is only good if we owe money to the IRS?
so does this mean that the credit won't be applied at the point of sale (at the dealership)?
if the credit is not applied at the point of sale then how do people who don’t owe IRS money benefit from this?
His comment is correct, that in the end you can only get credit vs your tax liability.

See this post and related video, explaining how they will recapture if you were paid excess credit.

Reactions: dinomagic
His comment is correct, that in the end you can only get credit vs your tax liability.

See this post and related video, explaining how they will recapture if you were paid excess credit.

Idk about that, from what I read weeks ago, its when you file your taxes, you use that $7500 to offset what you owe and if you dont owe anything then you get that $7500 as a refund

Reactions: dinomagic
My EDD is as late as Dec 14th. I will do everything in my power to delay delivery into 2023 if possible if this date holds. I am retiring in 2023, so my income will reduce and I will be eligible for the 2023 credit. The stars will need to align to make this happen….

Watch this, starting at 1:20 about the credit...

Thanks, that makes sense but the one part he may be wrong about is the POS credit. Few articles I’ve read say that wont start until 2024. Like this article below :

Thanks, that makes sense but the one part he may be wrong about is the POS credit. Few articles I’ve read say that wont start until 2024. Like this article below :
Yes, I agree. I think the guy is not 100% accurate. From what I have read and seen on other videos, 2024 is when the point of sale starts not 2023..

Yes you are right. I just read (like 10x lol) that section of the bill and it states:

TRANSFER OF CREDIT.—The amendments made by subsection (g) shall apply to vehicles placed in service after December 31, 2023.

That means that the dealer can provide the "credit" at point of sale, starting January 1, 2024.
Before that any credits are claimed at filing of income tax return (just like they are now for eligible vehicle/manufacturer).

Reactions: Happy Hippo