Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit and Model Y delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any insights into when we'll know for sure if Tesla MYLR qualifies? I know there was some potential issues with the battery manufacturing process.

I have a delivery date of mid September to October and would like to get the $7500 credit but unlikely I can delay it for 3+ months. I believe someone mentioned earlier we could try adding the 7 seat option which will delay the delivery and then choose to remove the 7 seater at a later date?

MYLR should qualify for at least half of the credit ($3750). I was also thinking about temporarily adding the 7-seater option if my EDD closes in too quickly 🤷. Currently my 11/26/21 order is slated for Nov 20 - Jan 15 delivery but I wouldn't be surprised to see it get bumped up.

My question is... does anyone know what date is reflected on the final Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement? The original reservation date, or the date of latest configuration change? I ask due to California's CVRP program.

MYLR should qualify for at least half of the credit ($3750). I was also thinking about temporarily adding the 7-seater option if my EDD closes in too quickly 🤷. Currently my 11/26/21 order is slated for Nov 20 - Jan 15 delivery but I wouldn't be surprised to see it get bumped up.

My question is... does anyone know what date is reflected on the final Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement? The original reservation date, or the date of latest configuration change? I ask due to California's CVRP program.
Looks like the "date of agreement" will be the delivery date. The first page shows your original order date as the "date accepted by customer" and the signature page shows Tesla's signature dated the day the VIN was assigned. Not familiar with the CVRP but would think the "date of agreement"/delivery date would control.

The original order date is on the first page of MVPA with the updated vehicle config, and VIN. The 2nd page, with total cost, is dated with the delivery day.

CVRP accepts the above as proof; this is their requirement:

Proof of Order Date includes one of the following documents:

• A copy of your final timestamped (dated) Vehicle Configuration page that includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Note: “pro-forma" copies will not be accepted.

See attached, this RN was originally a RWD Model 3 in March 12, 2022, changed to LR AWD Model 3 in mid July, delivered July 30th. VIN is both in 1st/2nd page, I blurred out.

Screenshot_20220817-050117_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

7 seats may work somewhat. A more predictable way would be to remove all options from the car (assuming you have options on your car). Non optioned orders have a 3-4 month later EDD over options with even a single option (paint, 20", white seats, 7 seats, tow, fsd, eap). Then when Jan arrives you can add back your options you had previously and your EDD "should" correct. If you currently don't have options on your order adding 7 seats would probably work in reverse and get you the car sooner, not later.

I also read that the battery manufacturing requirements won't affect things till 2024 so MY will likely qualify for full $7500 in 2023.

Wondering how would they verify income limitation if this becomes point of sale price deduction after 2023/1? Not sure if they will request buyers to bring previous years tax return copy.
Guessing the same way they did the stimulus checks, and the early payments on child tax credit, which had similar income limits... use the last year's taxes on file and base your income on that.

Guys, I ordered my tesla (LR with 7 seats) in March ( 6K cheaper, 1166)...current schedule is Nov 28 - Jan 23....i left the trade in and loan open so that the delivery can be delayed to 2023....should i also cancel the 7 seat for now? is that gonna delay or make it worse? thanks!

Guys, I ordered my tesla (LR with 7 seats) in March ( 6K cheaper, 1166)...current schedule is Nov 28 - Jan 23....i left the trade in and loan open so that the delivery can be delayed to 2023....should i also cancel the 7 seat for now? is that gonna delay or make it worse? thanks!
I would just buy the car when it comes in if it's the car you want, This EV thing is such a mess right now- it might take till 2024 to get it sorted out. I'm angry that in all likelihood, this will delay the transition to BEVs as the rules are so convoluted, even Elon Musk probably isn't smart enough to figure them out.

Think of it this way, if you got the car for 6K cheaper because you ordered it months ago, then if for some reason the Y qualifies but not till next year, ( and that is an if!) you'd be out $1500, which I'd say is a reasonable price to pay to enjoy the car a bit sooner

Do you have any other upgrades on your order? If your only upgrade is 7 seats then removing 7 seats and making your order a no option order should delay your EDD 3-4 months. But if you have other upgrades like paint colors, white seats, tow, 20", FSD, or EAP then removing 7 seats may actually speed things up as 7 seats tend to be delivered slower than 5 seaters.

Do you have any other upgrades on your order? If your only upgrade is 7 seats then removing 7 seats and making your order a no option order should delay your EDD 3-4 months. But if you have other upgrades like paint colors, white seats, tow, 20", FSD, or EAP then removing 7 seats may actually speed things up as 7 seats tend to be delivered slower than 5 seaters.
i only have 7 seat upgrade at this point.....this is my 2nd model Y, so i am not in hurry to get it anyway.....

i am also not going to put down lots of down payment. so the coming interest rate hike may cost me more...that will partially offset the $7500 credit....

i think i should just wait and see....

I have a trade that expired and Tesla told me that they changed the system. It no longer delays your account. I guess more people were doing that and they stopped it, earlier this year. Call up tells yourself and they will tell you too! .If your price is $6k cheaper why not pick it up now? I would not delay hoping the government sorts out this bad bill. What if they make some sort of addendum to it where it would remove Tesla somehow and then where would you be? I would not cross my fingers hoping they will do the right thing..

Reactions: matj1285 and voxel
I have a trade that expired and Tesla told me that they changed the system. It no longer delays your account. I guess more people were doing that and they stopped it, earlier this year. Call up tells yourself and they will tell you too! .If your price is $6k cheaper why not pick it up now? I would not delay hoping the government sorts out this bad bill. What if they make some sort of addendum to it where it would remove Tesla somehow and then where would you be? I would not cross my fingers hoping they will do the right thing..
thank you. i will consider taking the Y this year if have to. i kind of doubt it that Model Y is excluded from the tax rebate....after all...Y is the best seller of the all EV.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
The current federal tax credit, for which Tesla no longer qualifies, has no limit on the price. The current proposed legislation has many limitations, including price of vehicle, AGI of tax payer, where the vehicle is manufactured, where the battery materials are sourced. The vehicle price is the manufacturer retail price.

A link to a pdf of the proposed legislation is in this article:

Here is the part about the vehicle price:
View attachment 837641
That implies that since the suggested MSRP before options is below 80 that even if you add FSD & 7 seater which would push it above 80 you'd qualify? So confusing.

The original order date is on the first page of MVPA with the updated vehicle config, and VIN. The 2nd page, with total cost, is dated with the delivery day.

CVRP accepts the above as proof; this is their requirement:

Proof of Order Date includes one of the following documents:

• A copy of your final timestamped (dated) Vehicle Configuration page that includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Note: “pro-forma" copies will not be accepted.

See attached, this RN was originally a RWD Model 3 in March 12, 2022, changed to LR AWD Model 3 in mid July, delivered July 30th. VIN is both in 1st/2nd page, I blurred out.

View attachment 841884

Very helpful. Thank you!! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I wanted the first/original order date stamped somewhere in the final agreement. Glad to see this is indeed the case.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
7 seats may work somewhat. A more predictable way would be to remove all options from the car (assuming you have options on your car). Non optioned orders have a 3-4 month later EDD over options with even a single option (paint, 20", white seats, 7 seats, tow, fsd, eap). Then when Jan arrives you can add back your options you had previously and your EDD "should" correct. If you currently don't have options on your order adding 7 seats would probably work in reverse and get you the car sooner, not later.

I also read that the battery manufacturing requirements won't affect things till 2024 so MY will likely qualify for full $7500 in 2023.
My order is already as basic as it gets - default/free everything MSM color Model Y LR :) The new rules are super confusing with different interpretations everywhere, so I won't even dive into my potentially inaccurate take.

Which EVs Qualify for the New Electric Vehicle Tax Credit? It’s Complicated. has this snippet, for what it's worth:
For some vehicles, the credit might only be partial. “I’m thinking that maybe the Tesla Model 3 and Y would qualify for half of the $7,500 credit under the battery components requirement but not likely the minerals requirement,” says Loren McDonald of EV Adoption, an electric vehicle research, analysis, and marketing firm.

That implies that since the suggested MSRP before options is below 80 that even if you add FSD & 7 seater which would push it above 80 you'd qualify? So confusing.
I’m not sure what you are reading that confuses base price with MSRP. MSRP includes options that have been included on that specific car by the manufacturer. Go to any new car lot and different versions of the same model have different MSRP listed on the window sticker because they have different options.

FSD, if purchased after you own the car, would not factor into MSRP. Many are speculating that Tesla will make more features that can later be unlocked (for a price) to keep new car prices under the thresholds of the tax credit.

Reactions: cdub
I’m not sure what you are reading that confuses base price with MSRP. MSRP includes options that have been included on that specific car by the manufacturer. Go to any new car lot and different versions of the same model have different MSRP listed on the window sticker because they have different options.

FSD, if purchased after you own the car, would not factor into MSRP. Many are speculating that Tesla will make more features that can later be unlocked (for a price) to keep new car prices under the thresholds of the tax credit.
This certainly could have no relevance to how the US rebates work but in Canada we have both Federal and Provincial rebates and they have a set maximum vehicle price to qualify. (FWIW, No Teslas qualify). My in-laws just purchased a Kia EV6, Kia (and Hyundai) has deliberately priced their cars to have the highest trim model fit just under the price cap. However, you can then still add option packages on top of that and still get the rebate. So their final MSRP goes up but they still qualify due to the base MSRP of that trim level.

M3SR used to qualify but price has gone up too much. I believe that when it did qualify you could still add options on top and get the rebate.

Again, this is Canada so I guess in the US it may be totally different and only be based on the final price after all options.

Reactions: cdub