Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit and MY order/delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your advisor not tell you that the dates were estimates? It is in your contract! The 2023 normally comes out in November-December so based on your order date, you would be receiving the 2023. In addition, not everyone would qualify for the $7500 credit due to income cap.
There’s no advisor when you place your order. What I’m talking about is the dates Tesla is advertising and trade values given before you order. But once Tesla gets a non-refundable $250, 24 hours later, everything changes. It was manageable in the past, but with rates going up every other month and trade values plummeting week-by-week, it’s going to get real for a lot of customers. Since I’ve ordered I wouldn’t be surprised if rates went up 1.5% and my trade value diminished $10k. That’s a big swing. It’s why being more accurate with the ETA’s is more important then ever.

There’s no advisor when you place your order. What I’m talking about is the dates Tesla is advertising and trade values given before you order. But once Tesla gets a non-refundable $250, 24 hours later, everything changes. It was manageable in the past, but with rates going up every other month and trade values plummeting week-by-week, it’s going to get real for a lot of customers. Since I’ve ordered I wouldn’t be surprised if rates went up 1.5% and my trade value diminished $10k. That’s a big swing. It’s why being more accurate with the ETA’s is more important then ever.
I agree it would be nice if they could be more accurate. However, compared to every other EV manufacturer I looked at to get an estimate for delivery, Tesla is the most precise....I was given quotes like "1-2 years" for EV6 :rolleyes:

Just confirming. The model year of the vehicle is when it was built and not when purchased?
Neither. It can be built in 2022, and purchased at any time.

Model Year is based on the manufacturer's VIN number. Whenever they decide to stamp 2023 VINs, that is a Model Year 2023 car. Literally one of the digits of the VIN = Model Year (N = 2022, O or P apparently = 2023).

I'm not really sure why there is a discussion of when a 2023 car is being built. That has nothing to do with the Tax Credit eligibility. The eligibility is based on when you take delivery. So as of January 1, 2023.

I guess my experience was different. There were a lot of advisors helping people place their orders like they did mine. They literally walked me through the process and told me about the estimated dates and that they would fluctuate. I understand now that is not the norm. I agree with you on the trade in, my trade in value decreased by $8k from earlier this year. I am on the fence whether to take delivery now or just wait until 2023 and see what happens.

Reactions: headhz
I guess my experience was different. There were a lot of advisors helping people place their orders like they did mine. They literally walked me through the process and told me about the estimated dates and that they would fluctuate. I understand now that is not the norm. I agree with you on the trade in, my trade in value decreased by $8k from earlier this year. I am on the fence whether to take delivery now or just wait until 2023 and see what happens.
You and me both.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
I ordered a MY this morning with a Jan 2023 - April 2023 delivery date. If the new climate bill gets passed this week (it’s looking good) I should be able to take advantage of the credit. My question is if the delivery date is moved forward - due to cancellation or others trying to adjust their delivery dates - can I postpone delivery? I have read many different scenarios but it seems they do allow several options. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On another note, I can see 4th quarter disruptions with the MY due to the credit. Wonder how Tesla will handle it??
Since you started this thread...any updates???

I noticed that! A reliable wholesaler that I used in the past to sell my ‘21 MYLR is only giving me $57k while vroom recently gave a laughable $45k for my MYP. Why did the resale values change so much recently? In the past resale has always been high.

I noticed that! A reliable wholesaler that I used in the past to sell my ‘21 MYLR is only giving me $57k while vroom recently gave a laughable $45k for my MYP. Why did the resale values change so much recently? In the past resale has always been high.
I mean, the car market has been insane for over a year now. With production of new cars being so limited, it's made used car market ridiculously high. And it still is per se. It's going to correct and it's going to be painful for some. It's going to be an anomaly for people to being looking for GAP insurance after being in equity for the first two years of ownership. Wrap your head around that?!?!
Inflation vs. Interest. As interest rates rise, things become less affordable. So with rates rising, used car market sinking, and a $7,500 EV incentive looming, timing is too important right now.

Reactions: voxel
I mean, the car market has been insane for over a year now. With production of new cars being so limited, it's made used car market ridiculously high. And it still is per se. It's going to correct and it's going to be painful for some. It's going to be an anomaly for people to being looking for GAP insurance after being in equity for the first two years of ownership. Wrap your head around that?!?!
Inflation vs. Interest. As interest rates rise, things become less affordable. So with rates rising, used car market sinking, and a $7,500 EV incentive looming, timing is too important right now.
There’s goes my thought of selling my ‘22 MYP for a ‘23 MYP to get the tax credit. Arghhhh lol.