Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit and Purchasing Decision For X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to make a decision about reserving an X based on the info that we have about the car so far.
Part of this decision is a consideration of when the $7500 rebate is going to expire and when the X I want can be potentially delivered.
I know that the part of the rule for the rebate is that producing company has to deliver 500K vehicles in US after when the rebate expires in several phases.

But I also heard several sources on the Internet saying that it is going to expire in 2016 regardless of the cars produced so far, however I was not able to get a document source to support this claim.

Does anybody know that the 2016 is the expiration year for the rebate or 500K vehicles sold in US is the only condition for this rebate to expire?

Thanks in advance.

The tax credit does not currently have an expiration date assigned to it, but congress could always change the tax code to add one. The tax credit sunsets over a 15 month period once a manufacturer sells 200,000 qualifying vehicles in the U.S.

Tesla is on pace to sell approximately 27,000 cars in the U.S. this year. At the planned rates of production, it's going to be at least 2018-2019 before Tesla hits the number that triggers the sunset, and that is largely dependent on Model 3 sales.