Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume they did that specially to target TSLA. I'm surprised there isn't an union clause too.
Ehh to be honest tesla seems to benefit the most from this credit. It was only them and GM I believe over the limit. Now with this credit more EVs are not eligible like Rivian, Hyundai, maybe BMW? Etc

I saw Hyundai already claiming some kind of anti trade violation with this

Ehh to be honest tesla seems to benefit the most from this credit. It was only them and GM I believe over the limit. Now with this credit more EVs are not eligible like Rivian, Hyundai, maybe BMW? Etc

I saw Hyundai already claiming some kind of anti trade violation with this

Not if TSLA batteries are sourced from China.

GM (government motors + AFL-CIO) maybe....

Not if TSLA batteries are sourced from China.

GM (government motors + AFL-CIO) maybe....
Thought I read that requirement wouldn’t start until 2024? The China one. Also I think LR 3 and the Y (non 4680) qualify? Feel like nobody is quite sure exactly what is going to happen.

My relative got an email about her iD4 and it said like 10 times we don’t know what will happen and can’t guarantee the incentive, etc etc. I’m sure many automakers are way more affected than Tesla here

Thought I read that requirement wouldn’t start until 2024? The China one. Also I think LR 3 and the Y (non 4680) qualify? Feel like nobody is quite sure exactly what is going to happen.

My relative got an email about her iD4 and it said like 10 times we don’t know what will happen and can’t guarantee the incentive, etc etc. I’m sure many automakers are way more affected than Tesla here

yep. Same here today at Audi. They said lawyers are still figuring out so sales wouldn't say. Maybe used next year it is..

No I’m pretty sure there is no half credit. I mean there technically is because the credit is split into two categories, but you must qualify for both to receive both. You can’t just qualify for half.
I hope your wrong about that because then it’s possible virtually no EVs would qualify for any credit next year. Maybe the bolt but I’m not even sure about that. I don’t think the law has been really interpreted for specific models yet so we’ll see.

PHEVs should be easier to qualify since the battery is much smaller and presumably easier to source materials for. That scenario, where phevs qualify and evs don’t would be the ultimate stupid bureaucratic government irony. I don’t think Pete would allow it!

I hope your wrong about that because then it’s possible virtually no EVs would qualify for any credit next year. Maybe the bolt but I’m not even sure about that. I don’t think the law has been really interpreted for specific models yet so we’ll see.

PHEVs should be easier to qualify since the battery is much smaller and presumably easier to source materials for. That scenario, where phevs qualify and evs don’t would be the ultimate stupid bureaucratic government irony. I don’t think Pete would allow it!

Irony thy name is most govt. programs. That being said i'm in the PHEV market too for my wife who doesn't like trips with kids in my 3.

Any PHEVs that would be sure to qualify as battery source stands now?

Also when is Biden expected to sign now? So far only kia would take deposit and I don't care for the local dealer..

If the law is strictly enforced as written. almost no EV's will qualify. I don't think any carmaker can clear the price threshold, and also prove their batteries contain metals sourced from within the narrow list of allowed countries - in fact most makers are getting batteries from 3rd parties who source materials from all kinds of places without any tracking as to which lump of Lithium and Nickle went into what batch of cells for a certain car's pack.

Tesla has the best shot at it, since they do their own supplier contracts and build at least some cells in house. The LFP's are almost certainly not going to qualify, but they might get at least some of the 4680's to pass.

Ryan from RTL podcast told me that the Y will qualify even if it's optioned above 80 because it starts under 80. The consumer reports article above implies otherwise.

My Tesla rep can't tell me anything yet either. No official word yet.
I changed configuration so now it’s under $80k, not just because of tax credit but also for other reasons. Now my only add-on is fsd which happens to put it only about $500 below $80k.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC