Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea I think the battery requirements are holding basically everyone back. Juries still out on whether you can get half or not though…

Also has anyone heard anything about the ev charger install rebate being extended due to this bill?

That's my read on it.

Just about no one is ready to meet all the requirements in the bill to get $7500 in 2023 (and forward).

Tesla is in the best position to at least attempt to document all the minerals in their batteries and which countries they came from - although it sounds tediuous. I doubt anyone else can even try it (buying packs from 3rd parties who in turn buy metals from all over without tracking it at the per-cell origin level)

There's a brief window for the rest of 2023 where domestics who are not GM and Tesla can get some rebates before the 2023 rules kick in

This article implies that the battery component requirements don't start until 2024.

Article is behind a paywall, but the text of the law itself while convoluted, appears to clearly say the battery-origin stuff applies to cars made _before_ 2024, and then the content-level thresholds increase on Jan 1 2024 and each year after

There is a separate transition-year carve out which allows US makers who'd not exhausted their old EV credits to get $7500 from now till the end of 2022 without the various other restrictions in the bill - basically to keep things close to as-is for the smaller US-built EV makers till the full new law kicks in

Is there a definitive answer in what is included in the 80,000 limit?
Just MSRP?
Are additional fees &/or options included?
Namely…
FSD
Color Upgrades
Tow hitch
Destination fee
Documentation
My configuration is 81,440
Considering switching the FSD to EAP to get it to 75,1440
3C9478A9-88E5-437C-A93F-3E614E45CBB2.jpeg

Is there a definitive answer in what is included in the 80,000 limit?
Just MSRP?
Are additional fees &/or options included?
Namely…
FSD
Color Upgrades
Tow hitch
Destination fee
Documentation
My configuration is 81,440
Considering switching the FSD to EAP to get it to 75,1440
View attachment 846092
Presumably destination is part of it.

I wouldn’t buy FSD much less a YLR at that price.

Reactions: vickh
I wonder if TSLA will release "official" info. They're booked out anyway and this bill is based on deliveries starting next year
I'd expect US-based people with Q4 deliveries of eligible configurations to want to slip the delivery through to Q1.

Tesla should really building this into their production & delivery planning and divert a good portion of production away from the USA, for those models, in Q4.
Should make for a great Q1 though.

Reactions: rhk109
I'd expect US-based people with Q4 deliveries of eligible configurations to want to slip the delivery through to Q1.

Tesla should really building this into their production & delivery planning and divert a good portion of production away from the USA, for those models, in Q4.
Should make for a great Q1 though.

yes I remember them doing this in 2019. Time to dust off the old playbook..

Presumably destination is part of it.

I wouldn’t buy FSD much less a YLR at that price.
Found this in the article linked below…

“While not specified in the Senate technical explanation document, it is a reasonable assumption that the MSRP cap does not include destination charges. But it also means that if the base MSRP of an EV is say $78,500 — that after various upgrades, add-ons, and destination charges — an EV costing $90,000 out the door, would still qualify for the tax credit.”
Source:

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and DrGriz
I didn't realize the SR was that rare. As a SR owner I like this "gaming" b/c gives the maker incentive to make cheaper alternatives:

Also according to The Drive article, “from May 2019 until April 2021, Tesla sold just 151 units of the Standard Range Model 3, meaning that buyers received $755,000 in subsidies to use towards the lower-range EV. Meanwhile, it amassed a sale of 22,938 units of the Standard Range Plus.” Clearly Tesla gamed the Canadian system and we may see something similar happen in the US unless the final legislation is designed to limit or prohibit these end around approaches.

>> Implications: While I don’t expect other automakers — especially luxury brands — to offer “stripped down versions” of EV models, we very likely could see them remove certain higher-end standard features such as advanced driver assistance systems, special tires and wheels, and free fast charging with partner charging networks on EVs with a base price of say $85,000-$90,000. We could also see some OEMs software limit battery range as Tesla did with its Model S 60, which had a 75 kWh battery pack, but was priced thousands less than the Model S 75.

The second possibility is that automakers speed up or change the launch priority of lower-priced variants. The GMC Hummer EV is expected to launch by the end of 2021 with its Edition 1 variant at an estimated MSRP of $112,595. However the Hummer EV2 priced at $79,995 will not be available until spring of 2024. To qualify for the tax credit, GM could produce a small volume of the EV2 at or near launch of the Edition 1. Similarly, Lucid Motors could make a limited number of its Air Pure variant (priced at $69,900 and not expected until 2023) available in early 2022.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I didn't realize the SR was that rare. As a SR owner I like this "gaming" b/c gives the maker incentive to make cheaper alternatives:

Also according to The Drive article, “from May 2019 until April 2021, Tesla sold just 151 units of the Standard Range Model 3, meaning that buyers received $755,000 in subsidies to use towards the lower-range EV. Meanwhile, it amassed a sale of 22,938 units of the Standard Range Plus.” Clearly Tesla gamed the Canadian system and we may see something similar happen in the US unless the final legislation is designed to limit or prohibit these end around approaches.

>> Implications: While I don’t expect other automakers — especially luxury brands — to offer “stripped down versions” of EV models, we very likely could see them remove certain higher-end standard features such as advanced driver assistance systems, special tires and wheels, and free fast charging with partner charging networks on EVs with a base price of say $85,000-$90,000. We could also see some OEMs software limit battery range as Tesla did with its Model S 60, which had a 75 kWh battery pack, but was priced thousands less than the Model S 75.

The second possibility is that automakers speed up or change the launch priority of lower-priced variants. The GMC Hummer EV is expected to launch by the end of 2021 with its Edition 1 variant at an estimated MSRP of $112,595. However the Hummer EV2 priced at $79,995 will not be available until spring of 2024. To qualify for the tax credit, GM could produce a small volume of the EV2 at or near launch of the Edition 1. Similarly, Lucid Motors could make a limited number of its Air Pure variant (priced at $69,900 and not expected until 2023) available in early 2022.
Isn’t the Canada spec SR limited to 93mi/150km?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Well shoot my March model y order now says December for delivery date. 😕I literally only ordered because it said March and I'd get the credit 🤦‍♂️
I also had this yesterday. Was Feb-April before yesterday.
Contacted Tesla Sales. I had them put my order o. Hold. I was informed y that the latest it could be held was the original first date of the delivery window on the day I placed the order. January 1 ‘23 for my reservation. I’m free to release the hold any time.
F9691956-1370-4C3B-B235-09D526C34EC0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: cdub