Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit for charger install

Cjacktesmy

May 14, 2021
Newton
Has anyone taken advantage of the federal tax credits for installing the Tesla wall charger. If so, how much did the total install cost, and how much did you recoup through the tax credits? Thanks in advance for feedback.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Has anyone taken advantage of the federal tax credits for installing the Tesla wall charger. If so, how much did the total install cost, and how much did you recoup through the tax credits? Thanks in advance for feedback.
The Wall Connector currently costs $500 US. Installation cost will vary depending on your specific requirements.

Obtain at least two quotes from licensed electricians who would perform the work.

Review IRS Form 8911 information. About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Consult with your tax advisor.

Reactions: ATPMSD and zpaul

Yungcotter

May 4, 2016
New York
My charger install "Cost" $3333 according to the invoice my "Electrician" gave me.

This is a joke. My install was 1500 including the purchase my charge point home flex. I got 450 back this year.

Last edited:

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
My charger install "Cost" $3333 according to the invoice my "Electrician" gave me.

This is a joke. My install was 1500 including the purchase my charge point home flex. I got 450 back this year.
Basically to give a quick estimate, a mechanic, an electrician, a plumber.... calculate the hardware cost and multiply by 10 times to write their estimate.

73Bruin

Nov 7, 2020
Torrance, CA
I paid the electrician just over $1500 (he did some additional work, but did not break it out in the invoice). I separately paid $500 for the home wall charger. I received a tax credit of approximately $600. He did not charge me (at least he said he didn't ) for the two additional trips he made to install breakers from home depot that did not fit on the bus. The third fit perfectly. To my untrained eye they looked identical.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
The US Federal Tax Credit gives individuals 30% off a Home Electric Vehicle charging station plus installation costs. The credit is the smaller of 30% or $1,000. Must be purchased and installed by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return.

Reactions: JonB65

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks, / GF1
The US Federal Tax Credit gives individuals 30% off a Home Electric Vehicle charging station plus installation costs. The credit is the smaller of 30% or $1,000. Must be purchased and installed by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return.
yup, pretty much what my CPA did. Our installation cost was simple.... $275 plus cost of the wall charger.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Does anyone know how the IRS defines "installed"? If you install a 240V circuit and a receptacle, i.e. 14-50R and a plug-in EVSE does this qualify as installed or is the plug-in EVSE considered portable equipment and therefore does not qualify under the IRS interpretation of "installed". The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, therefore it would qualify as being installed.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know how the IRS defines "installed"? If you install a 240V circuit and a receptacle, i.e. 14-50R and a plug-in EVSE does this qualify as installed or is the plug-in EVSE considered portable equipment and therefore does not qualify under the IRS interpretation of "installed". The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, therefore it would qualify as being installed.

Installation of a 240V circuit and the cost of a receptacle meet the requirement if they are intended to be used for charging an EV. Lots of people have posted they claimed this without any difficulties. There is no requirement for it to be hardwired.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe

ShaneC

Apr 21, 2021
USA
Im curious to know about this too, a lot of people considering a Tesla or Used EV dont know about the need for a 240V charger let alone any tax incentives

infornography

Dec 10, 2019
Los Angeles
I live in Orange County...was this better for the state incentives? Can you do state and federal?
Unfortunately you missed the boat a bit. Lookup CVRP and CVAP. They ran out of funding recently but combined with the CA fuel incentive you can max out at 10500 off plus 2000 for home charger install. Or if you don't have a house for the install, $1000 ego charging debit card plus electric provider incentives.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC