Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit for charger install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone taken advantage of the federal tax credits for installing the Tesla wall charger. If so, how much did the total install cost, and how much did you recoup through the tax credits? Thanks in advance for feedback.
The Wall Connector currently costs $500 US. Installation cost will vary depending on your specific requirements.

Obtain at least two quotes from licensed electricians who would perform the work.

Review IRS Form 8911 information. About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Consult with your tax advisor.

Reactions: ATPMSD and zpaul
I paid the electrician just over $1500 (he did some additional work, but did not break it out in the invoice). I separately paid $500 for the home wall charger. I received a tax credit of approximately $600. He did not charge me (at least he said he didn't ) for the two additional trips he made to install breakers from home depot that did not fit on the bus. The third fit perfectly. To my untrained eye they looked identical.

The US Federal Tax Credit gives individuals 30% off a Home Electric Vehicle charging station plus installation costs. The credit is the smaller of 30% or $1,000. Must be purchased and installed by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return.

Reactions: JonB65
The US Federal Tax Credit gives individuals 30% off a Home Electric Vehicle charging station plus installation costs. The credit is the smaller of 30% or $1,000. Must be purchased and installed by December 31, 2021 and claim the credit on your federal tax return.
yup, pretty much what my CPA did. Our installation cost was simple.... $275 plus cost of the wall charger.

Does anyone know how the IRS defines "installed"? If you install a 240V circuit and a receptacle, i.e. 14-50R and a plug-in EVSE does this qualify as installed or is the plug-in EVSE considered portable equipment and therefore does not qualify under the IRS interpretation of "installed". The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, therefore it would qualify as being installed.

Does anyone know how the IRS defines "installed"? If you install a 240V circuit and a receptacle, i.e. 14-50R and a plug-in EVSE does this qualify as installed or is the plug-in EVSE considered portable equipment and therefore does not qualify under the IRS interpretation of "installed". The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, therefore it would qualify as being installed.

Installation of a 240V circuit and the cost of a receptacle meet the requirement if they are intended to be used for charging an EV. Lots of people have posted they claimed this without any difficulties. There is no requirement for it to be hardwired.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I live in Orange County...was this better for the state incentives? Can you do state and federal?
Unfortunately you missed the boat a bit. Lookup CVRP and CVAP. They ran out of funding recently but combined with the CA fuel incentive you can max out at 10500 off plus 2000 for home charger install. Or if you don't have a house for the install, $1000 ego charging debit card plus electric provider incentives.

Any updates to this for 2022/23?

if you have 2 homes can you get the credit for installing in each?
From the form linked at the start, we can find the following in the 2022 revision used for tax year 2021 and later:

Line 12​

"Generally, enter $1,000. However, if the location of your main home changed during the tax year and you placed personal use refueling property in service at both locations during the tax year, enter $2,000."

So I would interpret this as only applying for primary residence. If you moved then yes. If you own two homes then it would apply to your primary residence.

I am in no way a tax expert this is jsut how I see it. Please confirm with someone certified in the field.

Reactions: AquaY
From the form linked at the start, we can find the following in the 2022 revision used for tax year 2021 and later:

Line 12​

"Generally, enter $1,000. However, if the location of your main home changed during the tax year and you placed personal use refueling property in service at both locations during the tax year, enter $2,000."

So I would interpret this as only applying for primary residence. If you moved then yes. If you own two homes then it would apply to your primary residence.

I am in no way a tax expert this is just how I see it. Please confirm with someone certified in the field.
I don't know if I can edit that so I'll add it here becuase I forgot to mention... This is relevant if you have an extention of your 2021 taxes. AFAIK the tax credit expired at the end of last year unfortunately. I'm not sure if there is a replacement incoming at any point or not. Too bad too. I would qualify this year :(

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe