Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit (Green ACT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we are going to have a tax credit, why does it have to discriminate certain classes of EV buyers? This is the problem I have always had with the way Democrats does things. Does an EV car made by a Union worker pollute less than one made by a non union worker? Does an EV purchased after May 24th pollute less than one purchased before May 24th? Does an EV made in Mexico but purchased and driven in the US pollute more than one made in the US by American workers?

When Republicans pass legislation it usually is based on a scientifically proven set of guidelines and is not discriminating against a class of people. Not always but this is usually the goal.

The answer is pretty obvious. It is not really about improving the infrastructure in the US, it is about payback for political donations and that goes for both parties.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jetpad
Yeah, no progress, it seems.

Attachments

• DCD4F2EA-230A-43D4-82AE-BC76EBC1781E.jpeg
    DCD4F2EA-230A-43D4-82AE-BC76EBC1781E.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 81
One thing I've learned is free money from the government is never free. All it means is the money is coming from someone else. Just like "free healthcare" in other countries I lived in, meant my paycheck was pummeled with taxes.

The main reason I would like to see the Green Act pass is to at least level the playing field a bit for GM and Tesla. They both took big risks, and like typically how government works, they are being punished for their success. Can't say I like the typical pork thrown to constituents like extra credits for union labor. I belonged to union years ago and the corruption there surpassed that in most governments.

How many companies bought a Tesla, tore it down, and reverse engineered it? This gave them a head start they didn't have to pay for with R&D dollars. I am not even remotely a Tesla fanboi but I definitely would support the tax credits, not just so Tesla could jack up the prices by an equal amount either.

I think of it as my money being returned. But I still would be paying more taxes than Elon Musk and Jeff Besos. So, no guilt here.
Wow! you are one rich dude! Musk paid $455M in taxes between 2014 and 2018 according to reputable news agencies. Maybe you need a better tax lawyer.

I think of free money as not mine until I have it in my hands. And then it generates the higher insidious hidden tax for us all in the form of inflation. Short term gain, long term pain.

Last month my electric bill had an increase of 16.5% per KWH due to inflation. Since taxes are based on the cost of what we buy, the "free money" is a hidden way to raise taxes. Free money is a zero sum con game the P. play on the ignorant.

Open it up for all of 2021 orders and simplify taxes
Agreed!
And, let's not give these benefits to some and not others based on your memberships to politically favored organizations. It actually violates the 14th amendment, equal protection clause.

This is supposed to be a pro Tesla forum, so why do some here want tax credits that harm Tesla in favor of their competition?

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash