Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit (Green ACT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember, it's not a done deal, it has to pass the Senate with whatever else is attached to it. I would love for it to happen, but I'm not optimistic.

The best of all worlds later this fall, I would get a Model Y with a structural battery pack from Austin and the federal tax credit passes, and the NJ rebate of $5,000 is back, and no sales tax. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Guvnah and Tedkidd
Are there income phaseouts?
No income phaseouts. Only mfg production quantity phaseout.

The day the Bill is signed into law, Tesla can make 400,000 more EV's before the first phaseout period begins. The tax credit is $7000 regardless of how much you make or how much the car costs.

But keep in mind this is just a first draft of the Bill HR848, it may have many changes by the time it is signed into law.

Remember, it's not a done deal, it has to pass the Senate with whatever else is attached to it. I would love for it to happen, but I'm not optimistic.

The best of all worlds later this fall, I would get a Model Y with a structural battery pack from Austin and the federal tax credit passes, and the NJ rebate of $5,000 is back, and no sales tax. :)

For me, the best of all worlds the government would stop f**king about, leave the free market alone, and the stock would go back to $950...

When does this get voted on

Last session of congress it never even made it out of the house (the Green Act died in 2019). So maybe never. That's our government hard at work. . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But I do think it will move faster under the Biden administration. His big push for green will make sure of that. What the final version of the bill will contain however no one knows until it's through the senate.

Reactions: dreamwave6
When does this get voted on

This bill has a LONG way to go before it might be ready for vote. It's not even made its way out of the House Ways and Means committee yet. Then there is a similar process in the Senate. Assuming both versions are successful, time is needed for reconciliation of both versions.

On a normal timeframe, with enough support and interest, this might be up for a vote by end of year. However, as @OCJeff and others have mentioned, the content of the bill appears to be favored by the Biden administration so it potentially could be fast-tracked into law as early as June or July.

As far a priority in the Senate, confirmation hearings will take at least another month. Coronavirus relief and other higher priority items are still ahead of this bill. If I were betting, I'd expect to see this rolled up into a larger bill with a lot of other add-ons once the focus for green energy finds the spotlight -- but that's likely going to take a while longer.

• Informative
Reactions: TMYB-C1
It's possible it may get attached to infrastructure 3T budget and then get passed in the Senate with 51 vote. However, I do agree as a stand alone, it is unlikely to come up for a vote before later in the year.

I don't believe the Congress Democrats respect Biden now that they got him elected. They believe they are the ones in charge of President Biden and will do what they think will get them re-elected in 2022.

$7000 tax credit would be nice but that won't prevent me from buying the Model Y and paying more for it. I will hold out more for my stocks to make more money which is easier than waiting for the government to come to an agreement and pass the Greening the Fleet tax credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: AprilMay
My thought is: if you really want the credit, the safest path is to just wait until this bill (or a better bill) is signed into law, and then place an order. It seems very unlikely to me that Tesla will have 400k+ US orders pending deliveries at that time.

The only down-side is that Tesla may be thrown into Production Push mode (= quality problems) because 100k other people also deferred their purchase, and Tesla wants to fill all those extra orders within quarter. If you would buy anyways, with or without the tax credit, then maybe just wait until the bill is out of House Ways & Means AND the Senate is working on a companion bill. Even then, I'd request a delivery date 3 months out.

• Informative
while I realize that dems have legislative and executive control, this is not encouraging in terms of if it’s worth waiting or not now...

Pulling data from Congress.gov

• Average: 263.57 days
• Median: 215 days
• Minimum: 1 day (1 - H.J.Res.131
: "Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes," a government shutdown stopgap
)
• Maximum: 712
Also will likely require 60 votes in the Senate. Neither party has 60 votes, so it will have to attract bipartisan support. Call me skeptical.

Reactions: saltsman