Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit (Green ACT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a keyword search and couldn't find anything about a maximum sale price. Reason I'm looking is because here in PA the <minimal> credit is only for vehicles with a sticker prices < $50K. My target is a LR AWD- red. So in order the get the PA credit I couldn't get the "red" part :). Hopefully the Feds don't follow suit with PA!
I don't believe the original credit had a limit on price. Could be wrong. I know NJ did, $55k.

Assuming this tax credit bill passes (or for other EVs that still have credit available), does anyone know if you can get more than one per year per household? For example, could I purchase one in my name and get $7000/$7500 and my wife purchase one in her name and also get $7000/$7500 if we file jointly ($14,000-$15,000 depending on manufacturer)? There doesn't seem to be very good information about this online. I do know that the form has columns for adding more than one vehicle, so it seems like it is allowed.

As I read it, the Act says:
- the previous credit is extended to a new end-date for each manufacturer
- a new "end-of-credit" timer for Tesla begins counting at 200,000 on the day the Act passes
- if you buy after the day the Act passes (transition period), the credit is reduced to $7k
- if you buy after 600,000, phaseout applies

Most of the language is describing the new phase-out period. It does not say boo about the period between when the previous Act expired, and the day this Act takes effect. In fact, one possible interpretation is that this Act is simply _extending_ the previous Act, and is not a new credit; so the previous credit was extended until 600,000, so all purchases since the previous act expired are retroactively credited.

My guess is that this is an unintentional omission. The Act needs to be clarified.

My feeling is that US EV sales are still so low that giving the credit for all of 2021 is (sadly) not a significant federal cost, and would be cleaner tax policy. Jan-Feb are slow sales months anyways. Specifying a beginning quarter (like Q2 2021) would work also. But specifying a later date (like 1/1/2022, or the date of passage of the Act) will hold-back EV sales during the April-June peak sales season, which is the exact opposite of the goal of the Act. I'd encourage everyone to call or email their US Rep and ask them to contact their peers in Ways & Means, and request a clear start date (preferably soon, to avoid damaging 2021 EV sales).

See also "(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.— (1) LIMITATION.—The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to vehicles sold after the date of the enactment of this Act."

See also "(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.— (1) LIMITATION.—The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to vehicles sold after the date of the enactment of this Act."

My mistake. I quit reading when it switched to 2-wheel/3-wheel EVs.
Yes, that basically says that the previous Act (200,000 phaseout) applies for any purchases before the date of adoption of this Act.
So... no credit if you buy before the date of passage.

I'd still suggest calling your Rep and telling them that this is going to hold-back demand. I would not expect a bill like this to get through committee, House and Senate in under 6-9 months. Ways & Means could add a date and fix this easily.

Reactions: fiveten
Once it gets out of Ways and Means, I expect a quick passage in the House. Since it affects the budget it can be passed with a 51 vote majority in the Senate. As long as it is kept out of other committees we could see this before April. If the bill goes to the Fall Tesla may have produced enough to make them beyond the phase out anyway. Fortunately, the Exclusion was added now to prevent Tesla from eliminating itself in the first half of this year. I have always hoped for a simple calendar expiration or % of the fleet expiration rather than company sales.

Once it gets out of Ways and Means, I expect a quick passage in the House. Since it affects the budget it can be passed with a 51 vote majority in the Senate. As long as it is kept out of other committees we could see this before April. If the bill goes to the Fall Tesla may have produced enough to make them beyond the phase out anyway. Fortunately, the Exclusion was added now to prevent Tesla from eliminating itself in the first half of this year. I have always hoped for a simple calendar expiration or % of the fleet expiration rather than company sales.

Agreed, will be nice to see what Congress does, even better if Ways/Means adjusts/adds a specific date. Otherwise, at some point this seems like it will impact Tesla (and others) sales as people think about waiting to see what happens--I know I'm in this board. Would have already ordered a MYP, but now waiting to see what happens as my purchase isn't urgent/needed.

Alternatively, might also be nice if Tesla (Elon) would come out and address the issue/those of us potentially delaying and offer up an incentive to pull the trigger now and not wait--for example--if you purchase in 2021 and Green Act passes in such a way that your purchase is excluded from the credit, you will receive free FSD, discount on FSD or something along those lines. I realize they don't have to do this, but at some point you would think their sales will be impacted (at least slowed in Q1 and maybe Q2) by those who are waiting/thinking about this.......

Never have I saw so many Model Y’s available on the sales site.
Where did you find that information? I've been looking and haven't seen it for the Y.
Edit- Never mind I found it

I like the idea of a credit for FSD or maybe even lifetime Free Supercharging that expires when the GREEN bill is passed.

Our plan is to first get a test drive in the Y for my wife to be sure she likes it, and then if her OK we will order. Currently, I want to see that new console be common on new Y's being delivered before I order. I believe that will be statistically guaranteed by April.

Meanwhile if the GREEN Tax Credit is what's holding you up, why not call your congressman and Senators and ask that it be made retroactive to Jan 1 deliveries? A simple amendment to replace one sentence in the Bill would be all it takes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron_M3
They may increase price if a credit comes back, particularly if they are selling every car sold...

That doesn't make any sense. They appear to adjust prices based on orders vs manufacturing capacity. As orders exceed manufacturing capacity they increase prices. As orders slow down they decrease prices or offer incentives. Tesla has placed emphasis on numbers of cars made each quarter so they have to move them with sales. Other car makers seem to force associated dealers to fill their lots with more new cars when sales slow down.

I did a keyword search and couldn't find anything about a maximum sale price. Reason I'm looking is because here in PA the <minimal> credit is only for vehicles with a sticker prices < $50K. My target is a LR AWD- red. So in order the get the PA credit I couldn't get the "red" part :). Hopefully the Feds don't follow suit with PA!

Hi Buckyswider,
I am in PA too but don't see any credit in PA.
Could you please elaborate more?
Thanks

I told our Tesla rep that I was going to wait and probably place an order if the GREEN Act 2021 passes. He suggested that I should order now with a future delivery date, because Tesla might have 400k+ orders in the pipeline before the Act passes (if it does), and those buyers would get delivery (and the tax credit) first. That seemed like a stretch: US production capacity is probably 600k vehicles/yr. (until Texas begins production), and those aren't all getting delivered to the US. So I think we're talking about 9+ months of US deliveries after the Act passes.

But I'm not against the idea. The $100 order fee makes the risk lower. Has anyone put-in an order, requesting delivery 6 months in the future, and then later asked to move the delivery date forwards/back?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tedkidd