TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tax Credit Help

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by igor, Feb 14, 2013.

1. igor

igor Member

Does anyone know if is here are exlcusions based on income for the tax credit?
    I looked as some previous threads and the refernced IRS forms seemed not to mention any exlusions based on income. For instance, is there a certain income that is to high to qualify for the tax credit?
    Thanks

2. Donny

Donny Member

There are no exclusions for income. As long as you owe more in taxes than the credit, you get the full credit regardless of your income.

3. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

There does appear to be an exclusion for the electrical refueling property credit (between $500-$1000) (form 8911)- it appears that if you fall under the AMT, you will not be able to get this; however, this does NOT apply to the Federal $7500 credit.

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

It is a good question, as often the $7,500 tax credit is called a "rebate", which it certainly is not. Although, I guess if the tax credit causes an IRS refund, it could seem like a rebate.

I have heard of folks selling profitable assets to increase their tax liability in order to take full advantage of the credit.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Technically, the $7,500 credit is a "non-refundable tax credit", meaning it will reduce the amount of tax liability you have for the year but the difference will not be paid to you if your tax liability is lower than $7,500.

6. Man_Utd

Man_Utd Member

Do you know if you can extend the tax credit over a certain time period (i.e. three years)? My friend was telling me some credits work that way.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Nope. One shot, the tax year you bought the vehicle.

8. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

We are owed a considerable amount of money this year and since last year's filing was such a nightmare (took 6 months to get our refund, no explanation) we will likely file without the EV tax credit and do an amended filing later after we get the bulk of OUR money back.

9. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

If you received delivery on 2/9 (2 days after mine :biggrin:) then you will be filing for the credit for 2013, not 2012, so this will be for next Feb/March.

10. dgmanny

dgmanny Member

I bought a chevy volt in the 4th quarter 2012 thinking that it would take a year to get the tesla. My tesla is now scheduled to be delivered at the end of march. Even though I really like the volt I am considering trading it in. Does anyone know if selling the volt within the year could cause an issue with the federal tax credit 7500 I filed for in 2012? I plan on filing for a credit for tesla in 2013. Thanks.