TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tax credit on salvage?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tedsk, Mar 11, 2017.

1. tedsk

tedsk Member

Apologies if it was discussed earlier - couldn't find anything.
    I'm curious - can I claim federal tax credit on salvaged title Tesla if it never was registered and I'm The first owner?

2. harry

harry Member

I didn't find anything in the IRS instructions which addressed the condition of the vehicle. As long as it is a new car (i.e., you are the original owner) and you maintain ownership for a tax period it seems that it would qualify. Maybe not completely in the spirit of the rebate unless you plan to get it running.

Did it fall off the transport truck? (LOL)

3. tedsk

tedsk Member

I saw one with very little miles and factory "plates" on auction. Thought it may never has been officially owned. So I asked. It was salvaged due to flood.
    There were a lot (may be thousands) of absolutely new cars with zero miles on auctions after flood due hurricane Sandy on East Coast. Dealer lots were flooded.
    So it could theoretically happen again -)

4. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

Trick is that you have to be the first owner and "put it in service ". If the car isn't drivable, it's not in service.
    I'm also a little skeptical that you'd be the original owner. I'd get the vin and ask your local service center about the history.

5. tedsk

tedsk Member

I understand this couldn't be guaranteed and couldn't be relied upon but at least it is theoretically possible.

6. cpa

cpa Active Member

You raise a good question. We probably need a keen legal mind to weigh in as to what constitutes taking title under state law, as these things are possibly different from state to state in this area. It is conceivable that the salvage dealer took title (even though the car was never placed in service. Clearly the lines are blurred.

You can always ask the IRS for a private letter ruling. Those are the next best thing to a sure bet.

7. Yaro

Yaro Member

What's the VIN? I can run the carfax and tell you if it has a previous owner or not.

8. tedsk

tedsk Member

I pulled carfax already - that one was owned. Very shortly after purchase though. Auction or insurance company possibly tried to make it look like brand new - being sold in Fremont and has "zero emission" tags on both front and rear.

9. Yaro

Yaro Member

2016 TESLA MODEL S, 19199369 | IAA-Insurance Auto Auctions

You won't get a tax credit for that. It will be considered used.

10. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

The note that the "vehicle is shrink-wrapped for protection against the elements" is ironic in light of the flood damage :)

• Funny x 1
  11. tedsk

tedsk Member

Funny indeed

12. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Judging from the water mark on the rear seats, water raised to the waist high, and the media screen still works, it must be water proved :)
    just curious, how much does it cost?