Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit refund difference from Tesla Energy finally arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Like some others here on this site, my powerwalls were installed in the beginning of this year, narrowly missing the full tax credit, through no fault of my own.

I ordered in late september of 2019, got everything in on time, and the delay in installing my system near the end of last year was due to tesla moving offices and sort of losing my paperwork for a while. I asked them if they would refund me the 4% difference between my install that was supposed to happen 2nd week of december, and ended up happening jan 6th.

I calculated it out and asked for a refund of $XXX.XX off the install, and they told me they couldnt do that, but they would refund it to me after the system was installed and fully permitted.

I received the check in the mail today from tesla energy for the 4% difference amount I requested for my installation of 2 powerwalls. I had some concerns that I would actually ever receive this money, as the only "proof" I had that I had this agreement with tesla was confirmation emails from my tesla energy advisor / coordinator (the one who was responsible for applying for permits etc with my utility).

I am posting this because I think there are a few people here who may be in the same boat of being promised this, and waiting for it... and I havent seen anyone else confirm they actually received this promised refund.

As for timeline:

September 2019 Ordered 2 powerwalls

October 2019 agreed to install plan, and esigned all documents
(tesla went dark here for almost 6 weeks with me following up weekly)

Late november told that permit finally applied for, and the delay was due to office move. Also told that I would likely not make december install. Requested adjustment, escalated request, told that it was approved for 4% refund after PTO.

December 2019 originally scheduled for december install, then told that wouldnt happen and earliest I could get installed was Jan 6th.

Jan 2020 - Install happend on Jan 6th as scheduled. City inspection happened Jan 9th 2020

Early March 2020 - Received PTO from Utility, requested something from Tesla advisor that I was indeed going to get this refund, and re stated the amount. Told it would "take a few weeks". Then.. Covid 19 hit..

Jun 12 - Received check in mail for the agreed upon amount.

So, those of you who have a similar agreement in place, it actually can happen :)

First baby step for me. Yesterday got a text and an email with a new PTO application so hopefully that will come in a day or two and then put me in the running for this.

On another thread someone mentioned they had gotten a self referral for their PWs and I totally missed that angle.

First baby step for me. Yesterday got a text and an email with a new PTO application so hopefully that will come in a day or two and then put me in the running for this.

On another thread someone mentioned they had gotten a self referral for their PWs and I totally missed that angle.

Me too.. I didnt know that was possible.

2 weeks post PTO for me. I'll give it another 2 before I call and chase.
It's been 4 weeks for me. I contacted Tesla over the weekend and there is something in the mail today from Tesla Energy Operations so maybe ...

This whole post reminds me of the Christmas bonuses in the movie Christmas Vacation, if you have seen it.:)

Reactions: jjrandorin
I use that Inform Delivery from USPS that shows you an image of your first class mail. So you see if you have an envelope but of course you cannot see inside it. :)

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

I do as well (use informed delivery) and I recommend everyone sign up for it, if only for the fact that way no one ELSE can sign up "for" you for your address, and start seeing your physical mail images.

I also try to prevent most physical mail as well, all statements are e-statements that support it, etc. 95% of my mail is ad papers, except for the occasional important thing (like this check, lol).

Reactions: aesculus
Thanks.
Wow. What's next?
Will try it when I get home from AZ.

I know this is way off topic, but its (informed delivery) pretty handy, actually. I get an email daily with images of the things that are going to show up in my mail that day. except for ad papers. Just like @aesculus , I saw the letter from tesla in the email I got from the post office, on the morning it was delivered.

Earlier this year, I saw a letter from costco (my rebate check for my yearly use of their credit card) was supposed to be in my mail according to the image, but never showed up that day, so I contacted costco immediately and had them cancel it (and re send it).

Reactions: charlesj
I know this is way off topic, but its (informed delivery) pretty handy, actually. I get an email daily with images of the things that are going to show up in my mail that day. except for ad papers. Just like @aesculus , I saw the letter from tesla in the email I got from the post office, on the morning it was delivered.

Earlier this year, I saw a letter from costco (my rebate check for my yearly use of their credit card) was supposed to be in my mail according to the image, but never showed up that day, so I contacted costco immediately and had them cancel it (and re send it).
Thanks. That is useful indeed. My neighborhood had mail robbery one late evening a while back. This would have been useful to see what was stolen.
Are you able to sign up for the whole family or just yoursef?

Thanks. That is useful indeed. My neighborhood had mail robbery one late evening a while back. This would have been useful to see what was stolen.
Are you able to sign up for the whole family or just yoursef?

Everything coming to my address shows up in my email (letters to my wife as well). I forget the actual sign up workflow, because I did it at least a couple of years ago. I would apologize to the OP in this thread for taking it way off topic, but... im the OP so... :p:D

It looks like I need to call Tesla about this as I had PTO mid Jul and still no check. I do have an Januar email from my contact that I will get this 4% refund.
Is there a specific number to call or just the regular number. Will they know after all this time passed?

Start with your contact but I suspect you will find them no longer working for Tesla.

Then using the regular number give them your contract/order number and ask to speak to a representative. Tell them about the agreement. Then offer to send them the email you have agreeing to the 4% rebate.

Mine came mysteriously a few weeks after my PTO that was super delated. I was confused on why Tesla was sending me a check and then it dawned on me about the 4%.

Start with your contact but I suspect you will find them no longer working for Tesla.

Then using the regular number give them your contract/order number and ask to speak to a representative. Tell them about the agreement. Then offer to send them the email you have agreeing to the 4% rebate.

Mine came mysteriously a few weeks after my PTO that was super delated. I was confused on why Tesla was sending me a check and then it dawned on me about the 4%.
Great, thanks.
I called the regular number wound my way to a person who looked through my account, found the approval and the refund approved in Jun and passed me on to the collection department.
After a lot of work on his part in my files found the refund and called it price reduction as he had no idea bout a tax credit refund. He stated something was done on 10 Aug but then a case number just assigned today. So, it seems the automatic action didn't work for me.:)
So, I will wait and call in a week. Have a direct number, case no., and name.

Update. Frustrated.
I called today to get an update on my refund that was approved Aug 10th and a ticket issued Oct 15.
I called 3 times today. First two ended in a disconnection after a long time on hold while the person talked to supervisor.
Third time the lady place a rush on that ticket number. Eleven weeks in limbo and still in limbo.