Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit, Roll dice on awd, go performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May 2017 reservation holder. My ideal car is white awd with white interior.

Awd estimate is 3-5 months.
Performance is 2-4 months.

Awd config would be loaded (maybe fsd).
Performance would be only adding the white interior. No AP for now, it just gets too expensive for my commuter. I guess i could add it later. It certainly a must have but the car is too close to 80k after taxes...

I have settled for having a black interior to save me $12,500 which I honestly do not like (anything but black would be ideal for me), but I'm concerned I will end up getting the car in January and take a reduction in the tax credit, and having to settle for black.

help!

You're in California so I think you'll be on the shorter end of the delivery estimate (i.e. closer to 3 months) if you get the AWD. That said, the white interior looks amazing and 3.5 seconds is on a whole other level (vs. 4.5 seconds), making the P hard to pass up. :)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Performance + white interior = $12.5k more than AWD

What's wrong with black interior? If you're worried about heat you can always put film on your windows.
It gets over 100 where I live for a few months of the year. Tint is illegal here or do you mean some other kind of film?

Other than heat, I just find the black interior to look cheap with nothing to break it up. Id hate to see what the non premium interior will look like, but probably cloth seats or Tesla's version of cloth would actually be better for me. I very much dislike piano black as well but it send I'm forced to get it.

I went ahead and configured last night. I went for non performance awd loaded with fsd.

Frankly, and this may be unpopular, but I don't think the full credit will be available October 1st.
Tesla was within 5000 deliveries at the beginning of June. I don't see them delivering less than 5000 vehicles in the US during the month of June.
If you hold out though until you know for sure if the rebate will be around, you loose out on the connection fees of the Premium connection.

In general, I would stick with the AWD order and not the Performance anyways. Half the rebate is still better than the increase in price.

Tesla doesn’t announce this directly, however the numbers are tracked by the IRS.

This data uses estimates from InsideEVs. They have a pretty good track record.
Any IRS tracking would be a year delayed. Secondly, InsideEV numbers are pure guesses and they are corrected at the end of each quarter. They have a note about it in their charts (see the asterisk).
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

We do know for sure that Tesla diverted a large number of Model 3s to Canada in Q2. They also had two weeks of downtime if I recall correctly.

Any IRS tracking would be a year delayed. Secondly, InsideEV numbers are pure guesses and they are corrected at the end of each quarter. They have a note about it in their charts (see the asterisk).
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

We do know for sure that Tesla diverted a large number of Model 3s to Canada in Q2. They also had two weeks of downtime if I recall correctly.

Actually, InsideEVs have a pretty good track record. Not exact, but they do more than just “guess”.
I don’t know that Tesla hasn’t managed to delay the 200,000th until July. I’m just saying I wouldn’t take it as gospel that they have.
My wife took delivery of her 3 in June. And I have seen more and more people in our local group (MN), taking deliveries this month.
To me, it doesn’t look as if Tesla is slowing US sales. And even at the end of first quarter, they were getting close.

I kept my order rwd because of this issue. I see AWD deliveries happening in q3, but knowing my place on the waiting list would have probably pushed me to q4. Any delay from there would push me to 2019 and potentially losing half of the federal credit. Too close for comfort for me, luckily it worked out and I’m taking delivery today.

I kept my order rwd because of this issue. I see AWD deliveries happening in q3, but knowing my place on the waiting list would have probably pushed me to q4. Any delay from there would push me to 2019 and potentially losing half of the federal credit. Too close for comfort for me, luckily it worked out and I’m taking delivery today.
For some reason rwd showed me the same time estimate as rwd.