TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tax deduction for charging station

Discussion in 'Model S' started by teslasguy, Mar 8, 2013.

1. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I'm using TurboTax for our 2012 taxes and when I enter the cost of our charging station it says it doesn't qualify for a deduction.
    I've read the qualifications and I don't see anything that would disqualify me.
    I'm certainly no accountant, so curious if I'm missing something.
    Did congress do away with this deduction? If so why does TurboTax still have it in the list of interview questions?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

It's still there and was renewed for 2013...

Spend $100-300 and have a real accountant do a real tax return.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

There are also a few other threads in the ordering sub forum that cover this topic.

4. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

$100-300? Wow. Lowest quote I've had is around $800.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Even if its that high ... a good accountant is going to listen to you and ask the right questions in response...

And ... what if $800 could save you $5000?

Software is good for a basic return, a CPA is good for complex returns....

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

To the OP: The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (form 8911) is indeed available for this year. If you pay AMT, however, you will likely not qualify for this credit.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

My suggestion is to find yourself an Enrolled Agent (EA), certified by the IRS on her/his knowledge of tax laws. My personal opinion is that they tend to be better at specific tax issue interpretation than generalist CPA's.

The software packages will allow you to do a lot of things that will raise the chance of audits. For example, that "deduct a portion of your house as office space" option? Nice, big red flag that screams "AUDIT ME!"

(Full disclosure: one of my family members is an EA and owns a tax & accounting business. She also has a CPA on staff.)

7. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I pay the AMT, so the EVSE credit is null and void.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

what??? Man you must have some dirty CPAs over there! My guy is $200 and awesome. Very professional, probably 20-30+ years experience with own business. not rip off like H&R block and in fact probably only about 50 min drive from you. I can give you his info if you'd like.

9. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Yeah, I'm aware of the AMT issue, but it doesn't effect me.
    Still puzzled. ???

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Try testing the form yourself, based on the numbers listed (see my link above). See if there's a reason you get zero'ed out.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Posts that got a little more riled up went to snippiness. Thanks to those that reported, not all of us follow every thread so sometimes posts slip through the cracks.

12. dave

dave Member

Anyone know if I can buy a dedicated UMC and 14-50 and write it off as a charging station?

13. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

This is exactly what I found when I did my taxes this year. :(

14. riceuguy

riceuguy Member

I believe the NEMA 10-50 outlet can be written off, along with the HWPC, but I doubt the UMC should be since having a second UMC isn't required to charge the car.

15. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Ok, I went through all the supporting forms and while I'm not paying the AMT, TurboTax used the "Tentative Minimum Tax" from the worksheet to deny my credit.
    On Form 8911, Line 17 it pulled the Tentative Minimum Tax from Form 6251, Line 33 then subtracted that amount from the Net Regular Tax on Line 16. The result was a negative so it denied the credit, even though it doesn't end up showing me subject to actual AMT.

16. AprilDelivery??

On the form you have to be a business or corporation in order to deduct the credit. Thats why TurboTax is not giving you the credit! If you use for personal use you can't deduct!

17. dave

dave Member

What is the difference between the HWPC and a UMC with 14-50? Both serve as a charging station and technically aren't "required to charge the car" since it does come with a UMC already.

18. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Anybody willing to try to deduct the cost of the 2nd onboard charger?

19. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

#19 Cheerose, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    Not true - 8911 allows for personal use property (installed at your main home).

I would say that you cannot deduct the cost of the 2nd UMC since the "refueling property" must be installed on property used as your main home. However, if you claiming this for business/investment use, this doesn't apply.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, it isn't just TurboTax -- that's really what the credit uses for calculation. In other words, you may not owe AMT, but there is a line used in the form that is carried forward for credit calculations.

Since the Net Regular Tax also takes into account the Tax Credit for purchasing the MS, that's probably where things "go wrong" with this form.