Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax incentives for NEMA 14-50 charger installation in 2022 in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping for some help in researching tax incentives in NJ for home charger installation in NJ in 2022 (federal or state)

I'm looking to install a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug to my garage which I would then connect a Mobile Connector to. I'm thinking about buying an extra Mobile Gen 2 Connector which I'll leave permanently plugged into the 14-50 in the garage so that I can keep the other Mobile Connector in the car at all times, My first EV so range anxiety is still deeply rooted. A few questions:

1) I believe the Federal tax credit 8911 form expired Dec 31, 2021. Maybe it'll get extended but not at this time. Is this correct?
2) NJ seems to be offering "Up to $1,500 toward the behind the meter installation of a residential Level 2 charger" although it's been difficult to find details on what's covered and not covered. Does anyone have any insight?
3) Would I be able to apply the extra Mobile Connector to the tax incentive as part of the installation?

Thanks in advance to the community. I've read a lot of the threads already and you guys are awesome.

3) Would I be able to apply the extra Mobile Connector to the tax incentive as part of the installation?
I am pretty certain not, since that is not at all necessary to use the installation. You would just be buying an extra of something to throw in the trunk and NOT USE just because you want an extra. That would be quite a racket then, for people to buy three or four extra charging cables and get tax breaks on them.

OK, now to your real question:
I'm thinking about buying an extra Mobile Gen 2 Connector which I'll leave permanently plugged into the 14-50 in the garage so that I can keep the other Mobile Connector in the car at all times, My first EV so range anxiety is still deeply rooted.
If you're even considering that, then in no way should you be thinking about installing an outlet. You should just do a wall connector to start with.

Buying the extra mobile connector is $275 I think, and if you add up the stuff of buying and installing a wall connector, it's only about $200 versus the outlet stuff.

Maybe that's confusing, but here's why. There are some annoying extra costs involved with installing an outlet for EV charging. Don't use the el cheap-o $12 outlet. Get a solid industrial type one, which costs more. And then electric code requires using a fancy expensive GFCI breaker that's over $100 and hard to find these days if you're doing an outlet. Hard wired charging devices don't require that. Also, you would have to buy the adapter for the cable, which is $45. Also, you said a 14-50 type, which must have a neutral wire, which hard wired charging equipment wouldn't need, so you could save some wire cost maybe.

So if you just buy and install the wall connector, that gets you the extra charging device, and you can keep your original cable in the car, and it ends up being cheaper than if you were planning to buy a 2nd mobile cable.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
Thanks Rocky.

On the point of whether a mobile connector might qualify is exactly why I wanted to find out what exactly qualifies for which there are few details on their website. But I did call them and they said only the Juicebox and Chargepoint qualify at this time. However, the list might expand soon but had no details. I would have been using the mobile connector as my permanent charger except it's lower powered and costs slightly less.

I'm gonna get quotes for both and see how things go. But I get your point that getting an extra mobile connector might wind up being a wash compared to getting a Wall Connector. Only real way to save some money is to use the mobile connector that comes with the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Chargepoint chargers vs Tesla Wall Connector? One installer says it charges the same rate except it's J1772 which might come in hand in the future if I get something other than a Tesla.

If you dedicate the 14-50 charging cable to your home, you should be able to claim the tax credit of the lesser of: 30% of the cost OR maximum $1,000. $1,000 is the maximum per installation. If you only spent $600, you can claim 30% of $600, IE $180. You would need to spend over $3,333.33 to claim the full $1,000 credit.

"To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged."

Its a loophole. You have a dedicated mobile charger in your car, buying a secondary charger and dedicating it to your home charging solution qualifies it. It is something you purchased, for the sole purpose of charging at home.

*Note, I'm not a tax professional, however the argument that "its mobile" doesnt hold water. Anyone buying a "dedicated" Wall Charger can take it with them, wherever they go... sure, its not as convinient, however there is no wording in the credit for what constitutes a qualified charging solution other than "being located at the charging location"

If you moved in 2021, and installed a charging solution in the previous home and the new home (both in 2021) you can claim up to $2,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIPE
One installer says it charges the same rate except it's J1772 which might come in hand in the future if I get something other than a Tesla.
That's correct. When using the Chargepoint or other electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) fitted with an SAE J1772 charging connector you would use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that comes with every new Tesla vehicle. This Tesla charging accessory has actually gotten less expensive if you want a spare. Previously the SAE J1772 adapter cost $95, now it is just $45 from the Tesla.com store. The Tesla vehicle will charge exactly the same as when charging using the Tesla Mobile Connector or Tesla Wall Connector for a given circuit rating, doesn't affect the charging rate. The Tesla charging equipment has a button on the charging connector that will open the charge port on the Tesla vehicle. If you use non-Tesla equipment to charge you will have to open the charge port manually, i.e. from inside the Tesla vehicle or by pressing on the charge port cover lightly with your hand or else using the Tesla app. I leave the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter at home and have a second adapter that I keep in my LRMY.

2) NJ seems to be offering "Up to $1,500 toward the behind the meter installation of a residential Level 2 charger" although it's been difficult to find details on what's covered and not covered. Does anyone have any insight?

Was this part answered? I'm also in NJ and interested in whether the BPU, NJCEP or utility actually has such a program.

Was this part answered? I'm also in NJ and interested in whether the BPU, NJCEP or utility actually has such a program.
This is a PSE&G program. If you are a PSE&G customer, they will rebate you up to 30% of your install cost (not including the charger) or $1500, whichever is less. I also learned that at this time, they are only approving Chargepoint and Juicebox because those are the only two that allows firmware to be installed where PSE&G can monitor your usage by time of day. This is how they also give you lower rate if you charge off-peak. So, they're encouraging people to install the EVSE and charge off-peak. They also said that in the future, they may have other chargers qualify but those are the only two at this time. They also said if you install other chargers (like Tesla) and apply and in the future, they approve it, they will call you back to give you the rebate. Sounds too good to be true but I heard that from two people. Here's the link

Electric Vehicle Program - PSE&G

Hope this helps

I am pretty certain not, since that is not at all necessary to use the installation. You would just be buying an extra of something to throw in the trunk and NOT USE just because you want an extra. That would be quite a racket then, for people to buy three or four extra charging cables and get tax breaks on them.

OK, now to your real question:

If you're even considering that, then in no way should you be thinking about installing an outlet. You should just do a wall connector to start with.

Buying the extra mobile connector is $275 I think, and if you add up the stuff of buying and installing a wall connector, it's only about $200 versus the outlet stuff.

Maybe that's confusing, but here's why. There are some annoying extra costs involved with installing an outlet for EV charging. Don't use the el cheap-o $12 outlet. Get a solid industrial type one, which costs more. And then electric code requires using a fancy expensive GFCI breaker that's over $100 and hard to find these days if you're doing an outlet. Hard wired charging devices don't require that. Also, you would have to buy the adapter for the cable, which is $45. Also, you said a 14-50 type, which must have a neutral wire, which hard wired charging equipment wouldn't need, so you could save some wire cost maybe.

So if you just buy and install the wall connector, that gets you the extra charging device, and you can keep your original cable in the car, and it ends up being cheaper than if you were planning to buy a 2nd mobile cable.
Any idea of how much installing a 220V circuit and Nema 14-50 outlet should cost (broad range is fine). My current garage infrastructure only supports 110V. I am currently being quoted around $2,750 for the full installation for the spot in my 3-car condo garage in Chicago. This includes extending a conduit and upgrading my control box. Just don't have any idea if this is a reasonable price or not and would appreciate some insight.

Any idea of how much installing a 220V circuit and Nema 14-50 outlet should cost (broad range is fine). My current garage infrastructure only supports 110V. I am currently being quoted around $2,750 for the full installation for the spot in my 3-car condo garage in Chicago. This includes extending a conduit and upgrading my control box. Just don't have any idea if this is a reasonable price or not and would appreciate some insight.
The majority of that cost is the Service Panel upgarde (which I'm using you mean when you say "control box").

If your Service Panel could take a 50A breaker and less than 20ft to outlet, you are looking at $600~$900.

The majority of that cost is the Service Panel upgarde (which I'm using you mean when you say "control box").

If your Service Panel could take a 50A breaker and less than 20ft to outlet, you are looking at $600~$900.
You are correct. They are saying my current Service Panel would need to be totally upgraded as it is not completely adequate. Additionally service panel is about 15 feet from the garage and the conduit would need to be extended about 15 feet from the side of my building. Given this, does it sound like $2,750 is a bit high? I am currently getting two other opinions.

I've already upgraded my 200 Amp basement panel, and had a 100 amp sub panel installed in my garage along with the Gen 3 HPWC
Hopefully I'll eventually see the $1500.00 rebate?

Received today from NJ PSE&G

Thank you for your interest in the PSE&G Electric Vehicle Charging Program!

Starting in February 2022, customers with any EV Smart Charger manufacturer will be eligible to receive make-ready incentives (Behind the Meter [BTM] and Pole to Meter [PTM] incentives). Your previously unqualified application will be reviewed by a PSE&G program representative to determine eligibility* to receive these incentives.

* Reminder, applicants must meet all eligibility requirements.

To be eligible to receive the residential off-peak charging credit, PSE&G needs data directly from the charger. Therefore, the Participant must be using a Level 2 Smart Charger from the approved PSE&G List. We are working closely with other manufacturers to finalize data sharing arrangements to expand this list. You will receive an email notification when your charger is added to the approved PSE&G List.

Thank you for your patience! Please feel free to contact us if there are any questions or concerns.

Regards,
PSE&G EV Team,
Phone:
Email: [email protected]

Note: This is an automated email from the eTrack+ system. Please contact the Program Manager or the System Administrator for any further clarifications.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I've already upgraded my 200 Amp basement panel, and had a 100 amp sub panel installed in my garage along with the Gen 3 HPWC
Hopefully I'll eventually see the $1500.00 rebate?

Received today from NJ PSE&G

Thank you for your interest in the PSE&G Electric Vehicle Charging Program!

Starting in February 2022, customers with any EV Smart Charger manufacturer will be eligible to receive make-ready incentives (Behind the Meter [BTM] and Pole to Meter [PTM] incentives). Your previously unqualified application will be reviewed by a PSE&G program representative to determine eligibility* to receive these incentives.

* Reminder, applicants must meet all eligibility requirements.

To be eligible to receive the residential off-peak charging credit, PSE&G needs data directly from the charger. Therefore, the Participant must be using a Level 2 Smart Charger from the approved PSE&G List. We are working closely with other manufacturers to finalize data sharing arrangements to expand this list. You will receive an email notification when your charger is added to the approved PSE&G List.

Thank you for your patience! Please feel free to contact us if there are any questions or concerns.

Regards,
PSE&G EV Team,
Phone:
Email: [email protected]

Note: This is an automated email from the eTrack+ system. Please contact the Program Manager or the System Administrator for any further clarifications.
Howard,

I just had my Chargepoint installed in my NJ home last Friday and started my application today. But still need the town inspection before it can be fully submitted and reviewed. Do you know what the approximate rate differences are between off-peak charging vs standard rates are? Looks like I pay about 16.7 cents per kWh including delivery and supply.

You are correct. They are saying my current Service Panel would need to be totally upgraded as it is not completely adequate. Additionally service panel is about 15 feet from the garage and the conduit would need to be extended about 15 feet from the side of my building. Given this, does it sound like $2,750 is a bit high? I am currently getting two other opinions.
Not unusual for panel upgrade to run $1,500~2,000 alone.

Howard,

I just had my Chargepoint installed in my NJ home last Friday and started my application today. But still need the town inspection before it can be fully submitted and reviewed. Do you know what the approximate rate differences are between off-peak charging vs standard rates are? Looks like I pay about 16.7 cents per kWh including delivery and supply.

You might have to check a physical/PDF copy of your electric bill to see the rate differences, or call PSE&G. There might be a certain "plan" you have to enroll in to get peak vs off-peak other than the basic off-the-shelf service. I have JCP&L where I live and delivery and supply for me is $0.13 cents per KWh all day and night. I haven't bothered to check different plans.

Howard,

jplstar

I just pulled out my latest monthly PSE&G bill.
I used 577kwh for delivery @$0.044177 or $25.49
Plus a supply charge of 577kwh @$0.121109 or $69.88
Plus a monthly service charge of $4.95 or a total electric charge of $100.32
No where on the bill is there any indication of a off peak rate

My local town inspection for the Tesla Gen 3 HPWC and the 100 Amp sub panel in the garage is scheduled for next Tuesday March 2, 2022