Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Questions (specifically TurboTax)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am working on filling my taxes on TurboTax and have two questions.

1. I purchased my Model 3 in December so I qualify for the $1,875 rebate, do I enter $1,875 or $7,500? Someone on a past thread using H&R system said they had to enter $7500 and it automatically adjusted to the 1/4th amount. It doesn't seem that TurboTax does the same thing... am I right in just entering $1,875?

2. Is the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit active for 2019 tax year? I believe they extended it into 2019 but can't find any concrete answer. The form is listed on the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf), but I can't find a place to enter that information on TurboTax. Also, do I need receipts? I paid a friend to upgrade my panel to 200A service and bought a Wall Charger second hand so I don't have formal receipts. Please help.

Thanks

Don't file with TurboTax at the present time. I filed using turbotax over the weekend and my Federal and State returns were rejected because of EV Credit Problems. Please note that I manually put the correct Federal credit, $1,875 on the form.

Below is email I got from TurboTax just this morning......

"What happened,
FDI_8936_EVCredit_ErrorHold - Your tax return is on hold pending ongoing updates to calculations on Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. We plan to have the updates to the form done on February 20th, 2019."

I used H&R Block this year. It erroneously tried to give me a $7,500 tax credit when it should have been $3,750. To fix it I had to uncheck the box “manufactured by Tesla”. I have submitted my returns but have not heard anything back from the IRS yet.

Don't file with TurboTax at the present time. I filed using turbotax over the weekend and my Federal and State returns were rejected because of EV Credit Problems. Please note that I manually put the correct Federal credit, $1,875 on the form.

Below is email I got from TurboTax just this morning......

"What happened,
FDI_8936_EVCredit_ErrorHold - Your tax return is on hold pending ongoing updates to calculations on Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. We plan to have the updates to the form done on February 20th, 2019."
I wonder what they broke. We filed using TurboTax last year, including our 2018 purchase, and it was a breeze. Maybe something to do with the now fractional credit.

4a 1875
4b 25%
4c 1875

does that seem right?

It should be:

4a 7500
4b 25%
4c 1875

4b and 4c could differ depending on when you purchased your car.

TutboTax isn't doing the calculations correctly. When I did mine, it came up with a full credit of $7500 which I knew was wrong, so I put in $1875. On my 8936 it came out exactly like yours and was rejected by the IRS. The software is not completing the form correctly.

Reactions: buttnutt and ilyak
Good heavens. I have used TT for years but maybe need to rethink that decision going forward.

To be fair it was the same last year. I bought mine in Oct 2018 and got the full credit, but TT made me wait until they had their forms ready. They're not doing it to be a pain, it's good due diligence.

Although having said that, the entire Tax Return business in the US is a scam and should be reformed. TT and HR Block have lobbied for years against reform because it's a huge business for them.

Inside TurboTax’s 20-Year Fight to Stop Americans From Filing Their Taxes for Free — ProPublica

I am working on filling my taxes on TurboTax and have two questions.

1. I purchased my Model 3 in December so I qualify for the $1,875 rebate, do I enter $1,875 or $7,500? Someone on a past thread using H&R system said they had to enter $7500 and it automatically adjusted to the 1/4th amount. It doesn't seem that TurboTax does the same thing... am I right in just entering $1,875?

2. Is the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit active for 2019 tax year? I believe they extended it into 2019 but can't find any concrete answer. The form is listed on the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf), but I can't find a place to enter that information on TurboTax. Also, do I need receipts? I paid a friend to upgrade my panel to 200A service and bought a Wall Charger second hand so I don't have formal receipts. Please help.

Thanks
Yes, we have used them for years too. We are in the same boat and are waiting for both form 8936 and 8911 to be ready. We installed a Tesla wall charger in 2019 and paid approximately $1100 (install and charger), so we should get a 30% credit off that in addition to the correct tax credit calculation of $3750.

Rejected.jpg

Hopefully it gets fixed on the 20th

• Funny
Reactions: flyingowl
TT is good but not infallible. Always go to the IRS form instructions when you have questions like these above. then check the form preview in TT to ensure it populated correctly. I have found many little errors over the years.

I used H&R Block this year. It erroneously tried to give me a $7,500 tax credit when it should have been $3,750. To fix it I had to uncheck the box “manufactured by Tesla”. I have submitted my returns but have not heard anything back from the IRS yet.

It seems like both TT and HR haven't figured out Tesla's phase-out yet. It's due to the 1st phase-out since I don't recall seeing this bug last year.

What's funny is the best thing I like about their new versions is OCRing my W2s.