Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Questions (specifically TurboTax)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to my original post, question 1 has been answered thoroughly by everyone, thank you. I still haven't gotten much help in filling for the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (Form 8911). Where can I find this on TurboTax? If I need to I will abandon TurboTax for another option because I do not want to miss out on the potentially $700+ in credit. Also, do I need receipts to file this, or just "hold on to them" incase of an unlikely audit in the future?

For those using TT, don't bother submitting even if the numbers calculate correctly. It will still get rejected (as mine did this morning after re-filing last night). Need to wait a couple of days.

I think waiting to submit TT is probably wise at this point. For those who are not aware, there's also an available credit if you purchased a home charger... at least here in Virginia. TT indicates they will be updating their program "soon" to capture this home charger credit. So, I'm going to wait until that update happens. By then, I'm sure they'll have the Federal EV credit issue worked out.

I'm another TT user that had my initial return rejected.

I took delivery on my Model 3 prior to Dec 31, 2019, expecting the $1,875 tax credit. After the initial rejection I logged in this AM to use the (supposedly) corrected forms, and I'm also seeing a $469 credit after manually inputting $1,875 credit. What makes me nervous is this message (also attached):

Note: If the credit amount is not the entire amount you were eligible for, you were either limited by the tax that you owe or other credits you have taken. Information you enter later for other credits and deductions may also lower this credit amount.
Anyone else seeing that? Are we truly only eligible for a $469 credit, or is TT still messed up?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.58.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.58.02 AM.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 59
I just filed using TurboTax this morning and my return was accepted by the IRS 37 minutes after submitting. I did notice there were calculation problems a few days ago when I tried completing the Form 8936 section. Additionally, the Form 8911 section (Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit) was completely missing.

This morning, I just deleted that section and started over. I purchased my Model 3 in January 2019 and took delivery the same month. So, I was expecting a $3,750 credit. When I was completing the section this morning and $7,500 pre-populated on the form, I thought it was still messed up. However, on the subsequent screen, it did show the $3,750 credit. When I saved the completed forms later, I noticed on Form 8936 it showed the amount the car qualified for based upon battery size ($7,500) and that my credit was $3,750 based upon the 50% phase-out which applied in January 2019. So, the section seems to be fixed and working and you should not have to manipulate the values it calculates.

Additionally, the section for Form 8911 is active now and worked flawlessly, resulting in a 30% credit of the charger plus installation cost for personal use.

1. The post of mine you quoted was in response to someone else who WAS saying that committing tax fraud was okay
  2. By nature of this post which I am now quoting, you are acknowledging that you have knowingly committed tax fraud - you knew your tax returns were incorrect when you filed them.
  3. As @Spice mentioned, you probably would have a case to go after Intuit (the publishers of TurboTax) for any penalties and interest. But that is after you have gone though a long protracted battle with the IRS and then you have to go through an even longer protracted battle with Intuit.
Personally, I won't be surprised if it never makes it that far. I assume you will eventually get a notification that your returns were rejected. I got my notification a full week after submitting them (even though I had manually corrected to my correct $1,875 credit).

Stop reading between the line - explain to me how 2. was inferred. At no time does the software warn against wrongful filing nor do you get an opportunity to check the actual form, however you get confirmation that their system is a 100% right. you sound like an ass.

I just filed using TurboTax this morning and my return was accepted by the IRS 37 minutes after submitting. I did notice there were calculation problems a few days ago when I tried completing the Form 8936 section. Additionally, the Form 8911 section (Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit) was completely missing.

This morning, I just deleted that section and started over. I purchased my Model 3 in January 2019 and took delivery the same month. So, I was expecting a $3,750 credit. When I was completing the section this morning and $7,500 pre-populated on the form, I thought it was still messed up. However, on the subsequent screen, it did show the $3,750 credit. When I saved the completed forms later, I noticed on Form 8936 it showed the amount the car qualified for based upon battery size ($7,500) and that my credit was $3,750 based upon the 50% phase-out which applied in January 2019. So, the section seems to be fixed and working and you should not have to manipulate the values it calculates.

Additionally, the section for Form 8911 is active now and worked flawlessly, resulting in a 30% credit of the charger plus installation cost for personal use.

Helpful thank you.

Incorrect it's your responsibility to review your tax return for accuracy before filing. It's highly likely the IRS will flag your return for an audit since this is a high fraud area (which is easy to verify based on VIN#'s). You probably have a reasonable legal case to go after TurboTax for the interest and penalties you'll owe.

Yep lessons learned. I don't think anything will go that far, but the software was misleading.

Trying to understand why I am only getting $469 vs $1875??
When I was going through (I'm operating off of memory, so the fine details are a little fuzzy), there was a screen where you could enter an amount and it pre-populated with $7,500. I changed that to (what I thought was) the correct $1,875 but when I went to the next screen, it showed the $469 amount. What I believe it was doing was taking whatever figure was in that box and applying the 1/4 value because of the time I (and you) purchased my Tesla that is what we are entitled to. So the $469 is 1/4 of the $1,875. When I went back and entered $7,500, the credit correctly showed as $1,875.

I am not 100% certain that is what is happening; just my logical assumption. If I am correct, it is a bit misleading the way TT presents the info.

Stop reading between the line - explain to me how 2. was inferred.
As a reminder, this is the post I was referring to (emphasis mine):
No one is encouraging tax fraud my question was for educational purposes in case others are in my case; I expected TurboTax to file correctly with their great marketing that their stuff is 100% accurate guaranteed blah blah blah - bottom line I filed 7500 with no intent to fraud and that's on the Turbo. Now I am waiting for the amount I owe back and when that might come to me, maybe in the next decade when the IRS is equipped with an analytics platform.
The only inference I made was that you knew you were not entitled to the $7,500 credit. You knew that your tax return (with the incorrect $7,500 credit) was wrong. THAT is what can be construed as tax fraud. Even if TT gives you a statement that your return is 100% correct before submitting, if you you knew it was incorrect (which is essentially what you stated in that post) and submitted anyways, you technically broke the law.

Sure, you can go after Intuit about it - they gave their guarantee. But the IRS is most likely going to start with you.

you sound like an ass.
Sorry for believing in the truth. If that makes me sound like an ass, so be it.

I was simply making a point (and hoping to help others from making mistakes).

I'm encouraged that some people's returns are getting accepted. But I updated last night, filed, but still got rejected this AM. I am going to wait a couple of days out of an abundance of caution and even then will look at the actual 8936 form before refiling.

Going back to my original post, question 1 has been answered thoroughly by everyone, thank you. I still haven't gotten much help in filling for the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit (Form 8911). Where can I find this on TurboTax? If I need to I will abandon TurboTax for another option because I do not want to miss out on the potentially $700+ in credit. Also, do I need receipts to file this, or just "hold on to them" incase of an unlikely audit in the future?

Ouch! You had to spend ~$2,300 to install your charger?! Rough.

The forum should be in TurboTax now in the same section as the EV credit. Make sure your app is updated or use their web version.

You don’t need to submit documentation but you should absolutely hold onto it.

The forum should be in TurboTax now in the same section as the EV credit. Make sure your app is updated or use their web version.

Well I had to pay $1,800 for my 1970s panel to be upgraded to 200 Amp... plus the cost of 50ft of heavy duty wire and a wall charger which I installed myself.

Ha!.. not to take this thread off track, but I was quoted ~$5600 to install my charger, due to condo garage restricting who can perform work and union labor robbery. Some of my earlier adopter neighbors had to pay $18,000!

Don't file with TurboTax at the present time. I filed using turbotax over the weekend and my Federal and State returns were rejected because of EV Credit Problems. Please note that I manually put the correct Federal credit, $1,875 on the form.

Below is email I got from TurboTax just this morning......

"What happened,
FDI_8936_EVCredit_ErrorHold - Your tax return is on hold pending ongoing updates to calculations on Form 8936, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. We plan to have the updates to the form done on February 20th, 2019."

Same here, F TurboTax. I've used them for years, but this is pretty unacceptable.

Reactions: Thumpernator