TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tax Rebate for Installing 240v Outlet?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Carlos Danger, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Member

There are both Federal (30%) and Illinois state (50%) rebates available for installing Level 2 charging stations for residential use. It appears that Level 2 is defined as simply a dedicated 240v outlet. Does anyone know if this is indeed the case. Can I get either of the rebates by having a new 240v outlet installed in my garage?

2. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I'm unaware of the Federal rebate rules, but I know in Washington State, the installation was tax-free.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Last year, the Illinois rebate required it be compliant with J1772 (meaning it must be an EVSE installation). A simple 240V outlet did not qualify, nor did HPWC (despite using J1772 signalling, the connector isn't a J1772 connector). I confirmed with the state that Tesla infrastructure did not count, but don't know if that changed since then (I assume it hasn't).

The federal tax infrastructure rebate has income limitations, if I recall correctly.

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

5. strider

strider Active Member

Also note that the charging credit phases out if you hit AMT.

6. jed-99aggie

jed-99aggie Member

This credit was on the books for the 2012 tax filing year. As Paualllup Bill points out getting the IRS charging credit while also filing the 7,500 vehicle credit leaves next to nothing (pennies) in the form calculation. I am sure if you found a way to spend >$5-7k on the installation there may be some amount of credit, but note it is only a % of the cost you claim that you are getting back. So unless you are upgrading your circuit and panel while also running a bunch of wire, the result looks to be rather insignificant in most cases.

At least the fed government is talking about the subject - if that is worth anything :)