Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax, Title, Fees, in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my VIN yesterday and my EDD is now May 31-Jun4! I’m trying to figure out final financing and down payments but TESLA does things a little different. MY SA texted me and said TTL is taken care of by me about a month after pickup.

So, how does this work?

1. I’m not expecting to hold back some of my down payment to pay for TTL.
2. How much have you all paid for TTL in the Houston area. Taxes for vehicles are 6.25% but I don’t know what to expect for Title, registration, and fees.
3. Do we just go to the Tax office any time after pickup or are we supposed to wait for Tesla?

Thanks.

I got my VIN yesterday and my EDD is now May 31-Jun4! I’m trying to figure out final financing and down payments but TESLA does things a little different. MY SA texted me and said TTL is taken care of by me about a month after pickup.

So, how does this work?

1. I’m not expecting to hold back some of my down payment to pay for TTL.
2. How much have you all paid for TTL in the Houston area. Taxes for vehicles are 6.25% but I don’t know what to expect for Title, registration, and fees.
3. Do we just go to the Tax office any time after pickup or are we supposed to wait for Tesla?

Thanks.
Basically all you need to do is download the MVPA document and it breaks it all down. In my case, my order was set to cash so I needed to call Tesla and tell them I was going to use 3rd party financing and I needed to tell them who. If you have a downpayment/trade you'd tell them that. Once that'll all straight you can pull down the MVPA document and it'll have it all broken out for you. That'd be what you need to give the finance company. I just went through this the last few days.

Reactions: JetDriver05
In TX you will be responsible for TTL. You can estimate it by 6.25% x the price of your car. It's not fun to write a check that big. We have done it twice. If it gets close to the 30 days make sure to reach out to Tesla for your paperwork. If you file late there will be a late fee. The good news is here, you only pay taxes once and just your tags from then on. There are benefits to living in TX.

Reactions: JetDriver05
It may say that on the order page but I am looking at my purchase agreement and they are not listed. If they had dealers in TX then you would be able to do the taxes like a normal car but I can assure you that is not the case.

It may say that on the order page but I am looking at my purchase agreement and they are not listed. If they had dealers in TX then you would be able to do the taxes like a normal car but I can assure you that is not the case.
No I agree with you, I also read that it is not the case but how does it literally say that on the order page.

That’s insane.

I’ll let you know going thru the same. I live in Texas and took delivery last Saturday. I haven’t received any documents or paperwork from Tesla yet. Heard it usually arrives in 2nd or 3rd week after ownership. You only have 30 days from purchase to file registration and pay TTL at the DMV or else you get hit with late fees. I’m hoping to get this done next week sometime.

Reactions: Not That M3
My update:

I take delivery on June 3 and financed through my credit union. The credit union told me that they take care of the TTL. I’ve already paid them cash for TTL ($3800). They said they’ve done this many times. Tesla is supposed to mail them the documents and they will take care of registration.

I foresee someone dropping the ball and my documents getting “lost”! Hopefully it goes without incident but I’m not too confident right now.

I’ll let you know going thru the same. I live in Texas and took delivery last Saturday. I haven’t received any documents or paperwork from Tesla yet. Heard it usually arrives in 2nd or 3rd week after ownership. You only have 30 days from purchase to file registration and pay TTL at the DMV or else you get hit with late fees. I’m hoping to get this done next week sometime.
Did you make your appt at the tax office yet or are you just waiting in line?

Been two weeks now since I took delivery and still no registration papers from Tesla. I contacted them Friday and they said they still haven’t shipped out. Not sure what else to do but wait. Hopefully I get them soon so I don’t miss the 30 days deadline and pay late fees.