Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax, Title, Fees, in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just gave Travis county my $41+hundred dollars for TTL. Fortunately due to my veteran status, my tag cost $3. If you do live in Austin there are 3 locations that accept walk-ins. Be prepared to wait. It's faster to scan the code at the entrance and register that way. There is no option for paying TTL so check other. They may call you to confirm what you are doing and if so make sure you tell them you are registering a Tesla. There is no additional forms needed outside the paperwork Tesla sends you unless you want a specialty tag.

You have to wait for ttl before you can order specialized plates though, no?
I ordered my specialized plates a few days after picking up my car. I spoke to them on the phone and they said it’s ok to order before getting your registration in the mail. Once you get the special plates you must take it into the tax office and they will switch out your regular plates for the special ones.

• Informative
Reactions: Not That M3
I’ve read that Tesla takes forever to give you your registration paperwork. UPS is delivering mine on Thursday. That’s perfect because I already made an appt prior at the tax office next Tuesday.

I just ordered my specialty plates today. Just classic black. I doubt they will arrive in time.

I’ve read that Tesla takes forever to give you your registration paperwork. UPS is delivering mine on Thursday. That’s perfect because I already made an appt prior at the tax office next Tuesday.

I just ordered my specialty plates today. Just classic black. I doubt they will arrive in time.
FYI I received my paperwork from Tesla within the first week off pickup.

Reactions: Not That M3
It looks that things may have been changed, when I got mine 5 years ago, Tesla is using a proxy company to handle the TTL (Title Girl), so I only have to write a check to Tesla and got my plates + title in about 6 weeks.

It looks that things may have been changed, when I got mine 5 years ago, Tesla is using a proxy company to handle the TTL (Title Girl), so I only have to write a check to Tesla and got my plates + title in about 6 weeks.
Weird. My credit union which is based in Texas told me they will cut the check to the county tax assessor for the TTL portion should we roll it into the loan. They told me they are quite familiar with how Tesla operates. Dealerships have always taken care of the TTL portion for the customer in Texas.

Weird. My credit union which is based in Texas told me they will cut the check to the county tax assessor for the TTL portion should we roll it into the loan. They told me they are quite familiar with how Tesla operates. Dealerships have always taken care of the TTL portion for the customer in Texas.
This has to do with the Texas law which outlaw Tesla direct sales to customer. Either you can do it yourself which should be couple of weeks, process is not hard but just have to figure out what to file. At that time, Dallas Tesla tried to help customer to avoid the hassle and they use Title Girl (still exists) but they went through corporate so paperwork delayed costing me to wait for 6 weeks. Normal dealership is local and lower volume, usually within a month. I never have to wait till the temp tag expired before until I bought my Tesla, but it’s just a one time thing, no biggie.

Reactions: ElectricNerd