Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax, Title, Fees, in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
common misconception - similar to the one that says Tesla have to ship the car out of state before the customer getting it.
Neither are true

The sale is handled out of state, the service centers just handle the delivery
No doubt that is the procedure, but does that mean that the Texas still does not allow a manufacturer to deliver a car directly to a customer? As in can I bring in check, give it to the service center person, and pickup my car?

No doubt that is the procedure, but does that mean that the Texas still does not allow a manufacturer to deliver a car directly to a customer? As in can I bring in check, give it to the service center person, and pickup my car?
if want to define delivery as giving a check to the SC then no. But if you define delivery as delivering a car and the customer driving away with it on delivery day, then yes, many Texas cars have been delivered to Texans. But the sale must happen with an out of state office.
Because Texas :rolleyes:

Thank you Twiglett.

Three Texas deliveries here - 2014, 2018, 2021. Perhaps the procedure has recently changed - don't know.

Two of my deliveries were at my home, not at a showroom.

In 2014 I received the paperwork directly from Tesla. I took the paperwork to the local county tax office to pay tax and complete registration and receive the tags. PITA - but not as painful as sitting in a closer's cubicle at a dealership.

In 2017 and 2021:

1) I received a package from Tesla (or a third party hired by Tesla) - paperwork fully filled out - I signed in the well-marked designated places and used the prepaid packaging to return the documents.

2) Title and tags showed up in the mail.

Can't speak for anyone else of course, but for me the experiences were as effortless as buying something via Amazon Prime.

Reactions: legendsk and TXDawg
Some circle talk in this thread, no doubt because of the Texas built vs CA cars. Not sure how a Texas built car would be different than my experience of paying upfront and then choosing a delivery option. For Texas buyers, car isn’t shipped until you pay for it, just like Amazon. Either way, I would assume payment upfront and selecting either home delivery or pickup at a local service center if close enough. As others have stated, this is still not direct sales in the State of Texas.

Some circle talk in this thread, no doubt because of the Texas built vs CA cars. Not sure how a Texas built car would be different than my experience of paying upfront and then choosing a delivery option. For Texas buyers, car isn’t shipped until you pay for it, just like Amazon. Either way, I would assume payment upfront and selecting either home delivery or pickup at a local service center if close enough. As others have stated, this is still not direct sales in the State of Texas.
You have to wonder if with some pressure they could drop the must buy through dealership rules. The Gigafactory employees a lot of people and directly and indirectly dumps a lot of money into the state. Also, with Ford and others looking at dealerships as new car drop off and repair locations for directly sold EVs, not sales locations, how much legislative power the dealerships will have in the future.

You have to wonder if with some pressure they could drop the must buy through dealership rules. The Gigafactory employees a lot of people and directly and indirectly dumps a lot of money into the state. Also, with Ford and others looking at dealerships as new car drop off and repair locations for directly sold EVs, not sales locations, how much legislative power the dealerships will have in the future.
those politicians are really partial to those bribes sorry, campaign contributions that the various dealer owners give every year.
Surprise, surprise, those elected representatives that vote against these efforts are always the ones who show significant bribes/campaign contributions.
Only way this will change for Tesla is to pay more of them off, sorry, contribute to those campaigns.

Anyone recently take delivery have an update on the time it took to get their title + docs in the mail vs earlier in the summer?

Taking delivery of our second soon. Back in 2020, it took over a month before mine came in for my Model 3...though that was peak pandemic days.

TY in advance!

Reactions: ElectricNerd
Anyone recently take delivery have an update on the time it took to get their title + docs in the mail vs earlier in the summer?

Taking delivery of our second soon. Back in 2020, it took over a month before mine came in for my Model 3...though that was peak pandemic days.

TY in advance!
Got the envelope from UPS about 2 1/2 weeks after delivery. I’ve never seen a certificate of origin before so that was cool. Even had Elon’s stamped signature on it.

Reactions: Siromnom
Just curious, how they deliver a car in Texas since Tesla is not a dealer?

They just dump it at the front of your house, near a fire hydrant, and directly across from a work van so your car is a sitting duck for all the commercial traffic thundering down your street. Then they take a bunch of CYA pics, then they bugger off back to base

Oh and they don't call to let you know it's there

ask me how I know . . .

EVer Hopeful: sorry to hear about that. Not good.

My deliveries were very good: don’t want the world to think all Texas deliveries suck.

2014 P85: viewed the car at Austin Service Center. After they fixed my punch list items it was delivered by transporter to me at the outlet mall in San Marcos. Tech stayed until I was ready to leave. Waited at the Whataburger and watched the car on the app all the way from Austin. Pretty cool!

2018 100D: delivered by transporter to my home at Canyon Lake. Tech stayed until I was ready for him to leave. No punch list items.

2021 Plaid: picked it up at the San Antonio Service Center on I10. Two punch list items noted - drove it home - tech fixed ‘em a week later in my garage.

All three deliveries were by Tesla employees, exactly as discussed with the delivery personnel on the phone. They were pretty flexible.

I suspect the quality of the final delivery will be highly dependent on the delivery tech.

So far I’ve had 3 really good experiences, just lucky I guess.