TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Taxes & Fees

Discussion in 'Model S' started by drbradfo, Apr 18, 2012.

1. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

#1 drbradfo, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
    (mod note: posts moved from It's Time to Build Your Model S)

Correct. Oregon has no sales tax. Title fee : $77. Registration fee : $172 (good for 4 years). plates : $24 (basic oregon tree plates). plus $20-100 for special plates (opt).

2. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Can I rent a room in Oregon for a couple months? :biggrin:

Just kidding - I know that wouldn't work.

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I've heard you don't need to live in Oregon to register your car there. But if you want to legally avoid California use tax, you'll have to keep the car out of California for 12 months.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Hey, we pay over 9% income tax and around 8% sales tax, so we take it both ways here in California. And our state is somehow broke. On the flip side, my step-brother lives in Vancouver, Washington. No income tax in Washington, and he's right next door to Portland, so he can avoid sales tax on a lot of his purchases.

5. Tessier

Tessier Member

LMAO No sales tax and No income tax, Welcome to NH! CA you have it all wrong, just saying.

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

#6 ckessel, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    The gas he uses to drive to Portland is going to negate most any sales tax savings unless he's buying really big ticket items or literally lives on the other side of the I5 or I205 bridge.

I'm always amused by state tax burden complaints. Every state needs roughly X dollars per person to make things go (roads, schools, police, etc). Some states are higher or lower than the average of X, but they aren't going to dramatically differ and they're going to get it from you one way or the other. Sales tax, income tax, registration fees, gas tax surcharge, etc.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ditto. I believe in small government and not wasting taxpayers money, but I am also always amazed at how many proud citizens always try to cheat their country/state out of taxes.

(Runs for cover...)

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I agree (though I'm guilty at times), but I think it might be time to split this discussion into another thread re: taxes and fees.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Loaded word. I'll leave it at that for now.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

We'll there's tax avoidance which makes sense and there's tax evasion which is illegal. Is "tax evasion" a better description than "cheating"? I don't know, I'll change my post and apologize if anyone's offended but I didn't direct it at anyone specifically.

Where's Bonnie when we need her?

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@NigelM - If you were referring to tax evasion, then cheat's a fine word. I thought you were (directly or indirectly) referring to legal choices such as legitimate tax deductions.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I was at the Sacramento Earth Day event all day ... talking to politicians, school kids, Occupy Sacramento people ... sunburned, tired ... and thrilled to see you all got this back on track! Thanks, guys :).

13. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Most states have uniform property taxes which raise a lot of money. California... has Prop 13.

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes, Prop 13 IMO is the reason for the constant budget mess and the fallout from that that Calif. finds itself in year after year. I'd take lower income and sales taxes in conjunction with uniform property taxes.

15. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

#15 mulder1231, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
    [Mod note: I've moved this post from So.. what base + options combo are you going to order?]

Does anyone know if CA sales tax is calculated over the price before or after federal tax credit?

I read through this whole tread but couldn't find this answered. It would make a $650 or so difference.

16. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's before the tax credit, so you're going to have to pay that extra $650.

17. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Yep, unless Obama get his way: Obama 2012 Budget Proposes Higher Tax Credit For Plug-In Cars - The Washington Post

The way I read it, if they changed it from a credit to a rebate, the sales tax would be reduced. (Unless you're lucky to enough to live in one of those states that removed the sales tax for EVs... forget which ones they are.)

18. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

On the Leaf it was before if you were a buyer; after if you were a lessee.

19. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Only because your state doesn't pay it's bills. Ask anyone at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center about that. And if you own a small business you learn pretty quick that tax rates are pretty high in NH (8.5%). And don't overlook the retirees who often pay more in NH Interest and Dividends tax than they would income tax living in another state. Just sayin'.