Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan impact on Model S - a theory I hope is not true

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is spreading themselves thin, attempting to do more things all at once than even the largest automotive manufacturer in the world (VW). Between S,X, 3, Y, Roadster, Semi, Pickup, power walls, battery for grid, solar panels, self driving, no wonder they are blowing through billions of dollars faster than the Starman's Roadster through space. Of course Elon himself is spread even thinner, with Space X, Boring company, AI startups, brain implant interfaces, and of course Twitter.

Didn't they say the same thing about Jeff Bezos and Amazon (except for the twitter part)?

Reactions: Scott7 and VQTRVA
You're right. It's only humongous legal and moral failure.

then what do you call it when tesla says the yellow tinting borders on our MCU is cosmetic issue, and not a defect hence they wont replace it unless we pay for it, and need to wait for a firmware fix, or UV fix, or whatever numerous excuses they have given us so far?

lol....

You really wont get BS like this from porsche unless u took a yellow sharpie to that screen and made the border yourself.

Also i dont think you will be forced to pay your loan/lease on a porsche for several months while its sitting in the repair shop stuck at acquiring parts.

This is my biggest fear... if i get into an accident where they dont declare the car a total loss, because i probably wont see it for half a year at best, unless its a small bump.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
lol..

"baby its cold outside" ...
Or at least thats what i have learned when it comes to Tesla and Elon time...

Im pretty sure VW Group wont do something stupid on the logistic end like what Tesla does in not having sufficient parts.

The worst i saw it was on my friends Audi which required 17 days for a part to come in.
Unless someone else can chime in?

Tiger never changes its stripes.
< Cough>Diesel gate</Cough >

Reactions: SCW-Greg
then what do you call it when tesla says the yellow tinting borders on our MCU is cosmetic issue, and not a defect hence they wont replace it unless we pay for it, and need to wait for a firmware fix, or UV fix, or whatever numerous excuses they have given us so far?

lol....

You really wont get BS like this from porsche unless u took a yellow sharpie to that screen and made the border yourself.

Also i dont think you will be forced to pay your loan/lease on a porsche for several months while its sitting in the repair shop stuck at acquiring parts.

This is my biggest fear... if i get into an accident where they dont declare the car a total loss, because i probably wont see it for half a year at best, unless its a small bump.

I don't know about yellow bands and what they could do to you but those NoX sicken people if not kill them. VWG was telling lies in order to sell cars and they told more lies when discovered. Don't even know how many kids' lungs were destroyed in the process. You can watch the Netflix "Dirty Money" to learn more if you did not know what has happened. Comparing that to yellow band is like comparing the Holocaust (sorry I can't resist) to supermarket overcharges you the beer.

As for whether Porsche will BS people I also came from Porsche. It's well known Porsche will BS people to get out of liability. Just go to Porsche forum to find out how many times it happened that Porsche refused responsibility when one gets a blown engine.

Last edited:
As an engineer, it makes me cringe when people can not even get their units right. Usually things that are rates are something over time (of course being a SI unit fan I would prefer things to be expressed "per second").

I bet you’re super fun at a party.

The “over time” aspect of the post was obvious to any non-pedant in the audience.

Don’t waste your time here... you’re needed urgently in the battery/charging forum where people are frankly getting reckless over the whole kw / kwh thing. Someone is gonna get hurt.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Link is broken.

If the Taycan had Autopilot, Id be all over it.
I want to like the Taycan. I'm a huge Porsche guy - have a 991.2 GT3 and a 993. But I won't be a buyer because of no Autopilot and no Supercharger network. I use my MS (and whenever it comes my Roadster) for multiple road trips per month. Tesla is close to perfect for that use.

FWIW - I might, might be able to get past the Supercharger part but AP is too important to me.

Are you saying Tesla will always sell vaporware they never deliver on, make lame excuses like "your car is capable, just not all of it", refuse to fix things under warranty because they are just too expensive to fix, and parts and service delays will continue to grow?

Have you personally had those experiences?

Cause myself and thousands of other people haven't.

Must be the cloud you live under.

Btw, I have been turned down for all sort of repairs by legacy manufacturers over the years too. And some of their concepts never came to market either.

So what's the point again?

Why some Porsche fans won't buy a car with no Autopilot? Isn't the reason for being a Porsche enthusiast the joy of DIY driving?

The two are not mutually exclusive. The Porsche was my fun car but also my daily driver. There are a lot of times, like when I'm tired or the drive is boring, I just don't want to drive. That said driving a Tesla is still more fun than driving a Porsche if you have done both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7 and SO16
I read that the Taycan will use some if not all of the driver assist packages that are in the Audi's....like Traffic Jam assist:

Regarding the AP or NoA topics, I’m not sure if any of you all have tried the systems from Audi, Volvo, GM, BMW, MB, etc. They are absolute crap compared to what we are used to. On a quick highway demo they might look nice but any real curves in the road or merge lanes and they disengage. I know Tesla’s AP is far from perfect but in daily use for the past two years, man is it still impressive.

Have you personally had those experiences?
Yes, I only listed what I personally experienced.

Cause myself and thousands of other people haven't.
Must be the cloud you live under.
Evidently many such clouds all around the world. Many people on TMC have, but percentage wise I agree. Tesla more then doubled the number of cars on the road in the last year, so the majority of customers have not experienced Tesla long term. The topic I was responding to was the the "tiger never changes its stripes", so history is relevant information for that.

Btw, I have been turned down for all sort of repairs by legacy manufacturers over the years too. And some of their concepts never came to market either.
You evidently don't grasp the extend of what Tesla does. No other manufacturer dares to pull crap like Tesla does. For example, it's not that they have a concept which didn't come to market, more like they sold you a concept, then when it came to market, they gave it a slightly different name, told you you that what you paid for is not ever coming, but they will not refund you either, but you can however buy the new thing for a ton of money. Specific example: me, and a few thousand other people, paid $25K extra to upgrade from S85D to P85D. The order page said it will produce 274hp more (691hp for P85D vs. 417hp for 85D), but it said the power upgrade will come soon over the air. Two years of radio silence, finally some people in Europe sue and Tesla admits that all we got is 46hp extra, a far cry from 274hp, BUT, wait for it, the motors are capable, just not the whole car. Oh, also, for only $80K more I could upgrade to P100D which did produce the advertised 691hp. It would be like Tesla never delivering on FSD and telling people their cars are capable, but will never do it - heck, with FSD they had a fine print saying nobody knows when it will be available, so they are more legally covered than the P85D upgrade.

So what's the point again?
Responding to "tiger never changes its stripes" I was providing some history as a Tesla customer. I am not sure what's confusing you about that - is it that you are seeing everything though the lens of a brand new customer? Your TMC join date is less than 4 months ago, so if you just got the car, I get and can understand the honeymoon stage - I've been a Tesla customer for over 6 years now, 4 new cars during that time, so I have some perspective, and my "honeymoon period" lasted almost 3 years by the way (but then again, Service was amazing back then, fixed all issues, there was a live person you could call, didn't have to wait a month for an appointment, etc).

Last edited:
Back to the thread topic ...

The Taycan will likely have little impact on Tesla.

The performance of the $140K Taycan “Turbo” will be comparable to the $59K Model 3P. With options it will cost $80-$100K more than the 3P for similar performance.

Plus: No Autopilot. No Full Self-Driving. No SuperCharger network. Probably less range.

It will also have a smaller, less practical interior with what sounds like a cramped rear seat.

The base Taycan models coming out in late 2020 will likely drastically underperform even the current 3P and cost $30-$50K more, have less range, etc. By then, Model S will likely have 400 mile range and vastly outperform the Taycan 0-60. It is also much larger and more practical, with better tech, Autopilot and the Supercharger network.

Like the rest of the "Tesla killers" that have been released so far, the Taycan will attract some attention to EVs, which is great, and probably tempt some buyers who for whatever reason want a Porsche or German-branded EV.

But by the time Porsche has released its base level Taycan, Tesla will not only be producing S, X and 3 in Fremont, but will be producing Model 3s in GF3 in Shanghai in volume, will have begun high volume production of Model Ys in Fremont, and probably started production of the Semi. The Pickup and Roadster will likely follow soon after, as will construction of GF4 in Europe.

While Porsche is ramping up production into the tens of thousands, Tesla will be ramping up production into the high hundreds of thousands and toward the million vehicle/year mark.

The Taycan will barely be a blip on the radar.

Last edited: