Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Turbo Introduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was initially doing my due diligence which lead to a model s purchase, the Porsche EV was in consideration because preliminary price was around that of the model s (~$90k). They sure missed the target on that!!!
Exactly. They mentioned starting at $85K in the past, which would make them competitive against Model S. Starting at $150, with top end in well over $200K, they will stay a niche car (might take away a few P100DL buyers, same demographic which traded their P90DL for P100DL at $160K). Maybe Porsche doesn't want Taycan to become a commonly seen car like the Model S, and if so, mission accomplished - I am certain that the number of interested buyers at $200K is much smaller than $100K. Personally, I was waiting for the Taycan as a viable choice, but at $210K (config I built out what I would want) it's now a non-starter (it would ruin the experience for me knowing I paid that much for a car). Waiting for the Audi etron GT I guess, or maybe Tesla will get their act together first.

Not necessarily true. I can no longer get the leather, pano roof, or color I want on a new S.

It's all priorities. I'll take MCU2, Sentry Mode, HW3 over these 3 things you listed.

For a quarter mil, you could paint it any color you want. Metallic Silver, Obsidian Black, and wrap the car bumper to bumper.

I've been more critical than not critical of Tesla lately but have to give credit where credit is due - the Tesla Model SP100DL wins almost everywhere for less than half the price. Not just day to day performance but the Model S is a 5 seat hatchback for way more utility.

The main strike against the Tesla is that its a bums car for those who can spend on the loaded Taycan.

• Love
Reactions: AW9nineteen
I think it looks great in the video.
Astonishing that it is so heavy!
Maybe even more amazing is that it does the Nurburgring so fast DESPITE the weight !
AND- its almost bigger than the Model S.
Does it have decent back seats?

Not necessarily true. I can no longer get the leather, pano roof, or color I want on a new S.
.. and now when the main screen hangs and/or requires reboot, you can't even tell how fast you're going. Also warranty no longer covers things like yellowing screens. "S only gets better" is an Elon marketing line, no more true than his "P85D 700hp car".

.. and now when the main screen hangs and/or requires reboot, you can't even tell how fast you're going. Also warranty no longer covers things like yellowing screens. "S only gets better" is an Elon marketing line, no more true than his "P85D 700hp car".

I'm mad enough at Elon's stupid insurance launch that I'm going to nominate Flo the Progressive Lady as CEO for the next shareholder meeting. I'll take a Gecko in a terrarium (doesn't even need to talk) over the moron they hired to head the insurance product.

All things considered, lets be real:

I'll take a Raven P100DL with a screen that comes with a yellow border from the factory over any Model S that came before it.

When I was initially doing my due diligence which lead to a model s purchase, the Porsche EV was in consideration because preliminary price was around that of the model s (~$90k). They sure missed the target on that!!!

I got an email from Porsche last year when reservations started, and they were estimating over 400 miles of range on release date. They missed the target on that as well....

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and brkaus
It's hard to even get past the fact that they named the performance version of the car a 'Turbo'.

Seriously?

In fact, I can't get past that fact.

When the first cars were introduced, were they named mare, filly or gelding?
When airplanes were introduced, were the 'flying cars'? (Maybe they were, but it's similarly preposterous)
That Tesla will outsell Porsche this year is so appropriate.

I always thought they'd somehow be different. Disappointed.

Reactions: MXWing
Man that s.. is 'spensive.
Yes! But in proportion to the Tesla prices for a car with less power and much less interior quality and so on, it seems reasonable (if prices in this range can ever be considered "reasonable!"). What blew me away was some of the options! What an incredible suite of options, and what prices! I saw three items that they are charging extra for that I got included in the Model S at no extra cost (I think) -- leather key fobs, folding outside mirrors (surprised me that was optional), and the ionizer in the HVAC. (My Model S has one, but controls for it no longer appear on the HVAC screen, so who knows if it even works anymore!).

I think it is safe to assume that Taycan will be executed flawlessly, whether it’s materials, craftsmanship, paint, etc. and it will ride better than MS. The interior of the car is outstanding! Porsche is also notorious for charging for every option. Comparing 2.4 vs 2.8 0-60 is just silly... this is the least usable number, 1/4 miles times appear to be similar. For those few, who will track on road course, it won’t disappoint either.
They have a wide network of dealers and service will be excellent. Ppl who can spend that much money on the car, will move to Taycan from MS. Personally, I would.
As to “outselling” MS- it seems to me a)it’s not the goal, Porsche has so many models in their line up plus Audi etron GT is coming; b) the latest MS sales numbers suggest it won’t be that hard after all, only 1050 units sold in August, this number, most likely, will go down, unless there’re drastic changes to the model and general Tesla service.
Frankly, I see only one downside-range, but they didn’t finish official review yet.

PS. I’m sure Taycan will not have IC or MCU screens with yellow border, like my car...

Over priced
Low range
No easy/low cost supercharging
Slower acceleration
Less interior space
No hatch
No autopilot

What does it have going for it?
Porsche brand?
Sustain power better?
Slightly faster charging but ultimately slower charging because of the reduce range?

Do I need to say more?

I dont think these will sell well when the model S is available. Yes there will be sales from the die hard fans, but any rational person will buy the tesla easily over the Porsche.

car looks nice and it is probably a better drive for around town... but if you want to go places it just doesn’t have the range. If i had the money i would by this, but i would keep my model three for road trips... no need exposing a 200k car to rocks and bugs anyway.

Porsche makes nice cars, but we already knew that.

I don’t think it’s a Tesla Killer or even an attempt at one.

I briefly thought of waiting for an electric Porsche after my 911 was rear-ended and totaled in December 2015. Would have been a long wait and now a big disappointment. Way beyond my price range and low on value for the things I''m looking for. They still seem to be well behind Tesla.