Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Turbo Introduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a joke and frankly embarrassing. I cannot fathom the reasoning behind charging $460 so you can achieve an acceptable charge rate (400V DC charger) on a $180k car.
I think the reason is that most 400V chargers are limited to 50KW anyways - kind of like Tesla had the 80A and then 72A charger optional, then discontinued it completely - that's because most L2 chargers are limited under 10KW. And in Tesla's case, people did have the option to use Tesla's charger all the way up to 80A, so more motivation to keep the high current charging, but over the years they determined that people don't use it or don't need to use it.

People people, what is the argument here? I just purchased my MS for 81k. Are we really going to compare it to a car that is almost double the price will less range? IMHO it isn’t even close. Sure the MS could be a little more “refine”, I used to have an A8. Sure it could have actual leather seats, but lets be more eco friendly please. I can think of SO SO many things I could do with the additional 70-150k. I mean seriously, even if I spent the 100k on the P model, I would trump their performance for over 50k less.

These cars aren’t in the same wheelhouse solely because of price.

We obviously have a different view of what the term "sell like hot cake" means. At those prices, the Taycan is a purely niche vehicle for the ultra rich.
Talked with Porsche Bellevue (WA), they claim to be the one of the biggest Porsche dealerships in the nation. They expect to get 10 cars a month, while they have ~600 reservation deposits, so except for people backing out they are sold out for 5 years. So you could say they will sell like hot cakes, just very low volume hot cakes. :)

Talked with Porsche Bellevue (WA), they claim to be the one of the biggest Porsche dealerships in the nation. They expect to get 10 cars a month, while they have ~600 reservation deposits, so except for people backing out they are sold out for 5 years. So you could say they will sell like hot cakes, just very low volume hot cakes. :)

I question how many of those reservations will translate to actual sales.

Interesting responses from possible future Taycan owners.

yanking your deposit - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

I question how many of those reservations will translate to actual sales.

Interesting responses from possible future Taycan owners.

yanking your deposit - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Interesting takeaway from that survey, the largest chunk has a problem with price. I'm in the same boat, it was supposed be start ~$85K. I figured you could get the performance version optioned up at ~$110-$120K. Well, it turns it's almost twice that, so I'm out.

I know from the conversation with the dealer that a number of deposits came from Tesla owners, which he thought were a totally new demographic for them. I suspect a good chunk of the deposits will ask for their money back after hearing the price, and Tesla will go back to their traditional demographic, except they might lose their lower end customers to Tesla or similar.

Last edited:
Your cons aren’t really correct since it does have what Tesla classifies as Autopilot these days. Sure it can’t be OTA updated to level 5 self driving but most ppl will have gotten rid of their cars before that would be working and legal to use anyway.

I wouldn’t say the battery tech is worse when it can handle 168 kW on average between 5 and 80 percent, thats better than the Model 3 on SuC v3, of which there are virtually none. Over in Europe they also have Ionity which in just a year has become very big, and that is 350 kW chargers which aren’t even shared between stalls.

Add some pros:
- Actual sound proofing with acoustic glass
- 4 wheel steering
- Matrix LED headlights
- Better brakes
- 360 degrees parking system

And then there are small and fun things like 40/20/40 folding seats for skitrips, nightvision, customization options with colours/interior
materials and so on.

I can’t emphasize enough the costs.. For all of your Taycan pros, we should assign a dollar value to them. If we did that, added those options to a base LR MS then we would still be well under the 150k+ of the Porsche. I do agree that I wish the Tesla had dual pane glass and better sound proofing, especially since the electric motors whistle. We have seen people retrofit 360 camera, it is a nice option, but not the difference from 80-150k. Brakes are somewhat of a moot point, I almost never use mine. 4 wheel steering and matrix are nice adds. But they don’t cover the difference. Typically I would say “IMO” but its a factual statement. Those pros do not equal 70k to add/incorporate

I can’t emphasize enough the costs.. For all of your Taycan pros, we should assign a dollar value to them. If we did that, added those options to a base LR MS then we would still be well under the 150k+ of the Porsche. I do agree that I wish the Tesla had dual pane glass and better sound proofing, especially since the electric motors whistle. We have seen people retrofit 360 camera, it is a nice option, but not the difference from 80-150k. Brakes are somewhat of a moot point, I almost never use mine. 4 wheel steering and matrix are nice adds. But they don’t cover the difference. Typically I would say “IMO” but its a factual statement. Those pros do not equal 70k to add/incorporate

I agree with you, cost is the only reason I am not ordering one right away. Maybe if I was in my early 40s instead of 30s I could feel I have enough money but currently I don’t.

Just last year the P100DL was about the same money as the Taycan Turbo. That was why I got an S75D, the $110k it cost was about as much as the P currently costs and it was the absolute max I felt I could motivate. Only reason Tesla lowered the price was because people stopped buying it at that price.

There are already Taycan models planned that will land around the current Model S prices. You will most likely get more performance and range out of the Model S but you get an actual premium car from the Porsche. At that price point I think it becomes a great contender, sure you lost straight line speed but you gain other things.

Hopefully this makes Tesla get off their ass and actually add new features for the S. If they just added better sound proofing with the double pane glass and the 40/20/40 folding rears I would be happy.

• Love
Reactions: AW9nineteen
I agree with you, cost is the only reason I am not ordering one right away. Maybe if I was in my early 40s instead of 30s I could feel I have enough money but currently I don’t.

Just last year the P100DL was about the same money as the Taycan Turbo. That was why I got an S75D, the $110k it cost was about as much as the P currently costs and it was the absolute max I felt I could motivate. Only reason Tesla lowered the price was because people stopped buying it at that price.

There are already Taycan models planned that will land around the current Model S prices. You will most likely get more performance and range out of the Model S but you get an actual premium car from the Porsche. At that price point I think it becomes a great contender, sure you lost straight line speed but you gain other things.

Hopefully this makes Tesla get off their ass and actually add new features for the S. If they just added better sound proofing with the double pane glass and the 40/20/40 folding rears I would be happy.

100% sound proofing is my biggest letdown

That is a joke and frankly embarrassing. I cannot fathom the reasoning behind charging $460 so you can achieve an acceptable charge rate (400V DC charger) on a $180k car.

This is a running joke with Porsches. $1,200 for insulated glass. Doug DeMuro used to work for them and jokes about $500 wheels that are round, $800 glass that’s transparent, etc...

Audi dealers have been telling me the only E-trons are CUSTOMER ORDERS ONLY!! Yeah...so that’s why there are 965 cars nationwide literally sitting on lots available for purchase (and has been the case for several weeks...)

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7
Regarding price...I'm thinking they are gonna offer various trim levels like their ICE cars....with the lowest price being a base RWD. Wonder if they are also going to lower the battery pack capacity for the lower priced models..or maybe just offer one pack and options will be discriminators between trim levels.

Having spent lots of time in the Porsche configurators... even starting out with a base 991/992/718/981...checking off options starts to get pricey very quickly... I would suspect that a base Taycan with options to easily be over 100K.

The "Turbo" designation on a Porsche no longer means it has a turbocharged engine vs a normally aspirated engine like the lesser models. A few years ago, the entire line (except the GT3/GT3RS - and obviously the Taycan) switched to turbocharged engines to meet fuel economy and emissions standards.

Essentially, "Turbo" and "Turbo S" have been co-opted by the marketing department to mean penultimate and best models in the family, respectively. Yes, it's kind of silly on an EV, but, for Porschephiles, it makes sense.
Right ...like the base 992 Carrera is a turbo but they don't call it a turbo.

Last edited:
How is it that a brand new track-inspired, 800v, 2-speed powered Taycan funded with all the development resources you could ever need still can’t beat (0-60 and 1/4 mile) a luxury Saloon that’s almost half the price? If it had better range and was larger, then we could point to that, but it’s range is at least 60 miles shorter and it’s smaller. I can’t reconcile this disparity. Is Tesla really that far ahead of everyone (including the largest and wealthiest automakers) from a technology standpoint?