Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Turbo S out-drags vanilla P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Not trying to be an apologist but drag race with wet/very wet surface is the dumbest idea I have ever seen.
Why?
What’s the point see who has less traction issues?
See what is the better car for wet conditions. From my experience a car that's good in wet conditions is usually good in the dry.
Someone will do a comparison test in dry conditions sooner or later, so you will see.

As a P100D owner I say bravo to Porsche, it’s not a better car than the Tesla at all, but it’s the first serious electric car out there and I bet it’s fun to drive. I’m not sure it’s much more fun than a P3D though. Also Tesla is about to squash Porsche but I think it’s great that they set a bar for performance and tried to make it better.

for me, the lack of competent autopilot would make any other car a vastly inferior product regardless of the performance.

I’d never buy anything except a Tesla until someone can compete with autopilot

Reactions: mkspeedr
By the way, I wonder if they actually used ludicrous + mode and what the state of charge was.... watching them put the Tesla through the cones makes me realize they are trying to make the Tesla look bad whether they realize they are doing that or not; by the way I don’t doubt the Taycan could cut the cones better, just didn’t look like tesla gave it their best go...

Reactions: gavine
By the way, I wonder if they actually used ludicrous + mode and what the state of charge was.... watching them put the Tesla through the cones makes me realize they are trying to make the Tesla look bad whether they realize they are doing that or not; by the way I don’t doubt the Taycan could cut the cones better, just didn’t look like tesla gave it their best go...
In the full video they showed the interface and that they activated "VON SINNEN+" mode (which is probably the translated german version of ludicrous+ mode).
In the full video they did more tests and yeah, the Tesla had significantly worse handling. But maybe the Tesla handling isn't really bad, but the Porsche appears to be on another level of handling performance, well, which is not exactly unexpected.

Von-Sinnen-Plus.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: buttershrimp
There will be more, many more comparos in the future. I am betting the same results in the majority of them.
Porsche has a long history of publishing very conservative performance figures. Their cars are usually faster than the numbers they publish suggest. So this is not terribly surprising if it holds true.
That the Taycan appears to be the better handling car is not surprising either.

Reactions: mtndrew1
I'm sure that one of the first customers for a Turbo S will be Tesla's R&D department.

Likewise Porsche will already know what's in the Raven, and will be equally keen to examine the first Plaids.

Shame it took SEVEN YEARS to get to this stage.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
When it comes to bragging rights, hard data from the eponymous moose test is one of my favorites.

Some not-quite random quotes [top speed in km/h at the line's end]:

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 2008 Nej 82
Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid 2016 Nej 67

Tesla Model S 85 Performance 2014 Nej 68
Tesla Model S P85D 2016 Nej 71

Citroën Xantia Activa V6 1999 Nej 85

Unquote. The overall winner is from 1999. Lightyears ahead thanks to its unique active suspension.

Sources:
Teknikens Värld – Resultat i Teknikens Världs älgtest
Citroen Xantia Activa: Catch It While You Can | PistonHeads

Now, back to Tesla's mission. Porsche's is to survive another day.

Another pointless comparison with pointless results.

I really should start a YT channel, post lots of stupid tosh and make some money instead of sitting here trying to think of worthwhile things to do with my life. :rolleyes: