Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume all the plugs on all electric cars are the same and plug into any and all charging points? If I buy a Taycan can I charge up on Tesla charge points - what does that cost?

I understand that the EU mandates universal fast DC plug: CCS2.

There were previous reports that non-Tesla cars were able to use Tesla Supercharger for free but Tesla quickly updated its software to put a stop to it.

The plugs are the same but Tesla has to grant you the permission to charge. Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge soon.

Since UK no longer has to comply to EU's mandate on universal fast dc plug, I'm not updated with UK's situation.

If I buy a Taycan can I charge up on Tesla charge points - what does that cost?
Nope, so cost doesn't come into it.

Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge soon.
Elon says that Tesla will allow non-Tesla cars to charge soon [Elon-time], possibly in parts of Europe where they have to do this to get subsidies for the charging points. But as far as I know the back-end hasn't been implemented yet for payment; the price might be (should hopefully be) horrendous since as Tesla owners we've paid for the network; and the cables probably won't reach the socket on a Taycan anyway.

If you want access to the Supercharger network, the easiest way is to buy a Tesla.

Sorry, but we're full at the moment...

20211009_150739.jpg

I presume all the plugs on all electric cars are the same and plug into any and all charging points? If I buy a Taycan can I charge up on Tesla charge points - what does that cost?

Type 2 and CCS are the two types that fit a modern UK Tesla. However the type of physical plug is only half the story. Only Teslas are registered on Tesla Superchargers so even if you could plug in you couldn't charge. Tesla owners have paid for this private network. Other "public" networks either work with any card or require an app and/or pre registration and an RFID card ... sometimes there's a difference of pricing if you are a registered user on a particular network. There are dozens of networks of (frequently unreliable) chargers ... many at prices that end up costing as much or more than buying fuel. With a Taycan you will frequently require lots more electrons than with a Model 3 ... so it may be a challenge.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I believe with a Taycan you get access to their Network Chargers which I believe is Ionity but there are not that many of them around. As things stand you can't use Tesla Superchargers, if and when that changes is in the lap of the gods.

The supercharger question has already been answered but to add… From some of the reviews I’ve seen online, the placement of the charge port and the long bonnet mean that you have to get nerve wrackingly close to many public charge points in a taycan and even still, you end up having to let the cable touch the front of the car (and potentially scratch it). See here for an insight into real-world taycan ownership relying on public chargers.

I believe with a Taycan you get access to their Network Chargers which I believe is Ionity but there are not that many of them around. As things stand you can't use Tesla Superchargers, if and when that changes is in the lap of the gods.

The supercharger question has already been answered but to add… From some of the reviews I’ve seen online, the placement of the charge port and the long bonnet mean that you have to get nerve wrackingly close to many public charge points in a taycan and even still, you end up having to let the cable touch the front of the car (and potentially scratch it). See here for an insight into real-world taycan ownership relying on public chargers.

Don’t feed the troll shimee - he’s an idiot and the issues are him and his ignorance as much as anything

A Taycan can charge everywhere a Tesla can, using the same connectors including Tesla destination chargers (there are always open ones as well a dedicated ones), except superchargers and who knows if that might change.

I guess the real question is why are you asking the question here?

Don’t feed the troll shimee - he’s an idiot and the issues are him and his ignorance as much as anything

A Taycan can charge everywhere a Tesla can, using the same connectors including Tesla destination chargers (there are always open ones as well a dedicated ones), except superchargers and who knows if that might change.

Given his username ( assuming it's a hitchikers guide to the galaxy reference) and his tiresome quest to ask every question ever thought of to man, I am tempted to just put him on ignore

Reactions: Adopado
I don't want to come off as mean but you have posted a number of threads in the last few days and the answers to most of your questions are answerable via a simple Google search. This one probably more than any other so far. People on this forum are really really helpful and will answer your questions but maybe do us the service of just a little non youtube research first?
Just sayin.

Given his username ( assuming it's a hitchikers guide to the galaxy reference) and his tiresome quest to ask every question ever thought of to man, I am tempted to just put him on ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.