Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taylor Mesh Top Conversion (TMTC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roadster

JdeMO Powered
Dec 10, 2016
SoCal
TMT now offer a 100 percent replacement of the Tesla/Lotus stock softop material and liner with TMT's special mesh material. Now if you supply a standard softop new, used or fabric damaged, we can return you a full replacement soft top that seals at the windows.

Paging @vfx... (couldn't PM you so starting a fresh thread ;))

I realize I'm woefully late to the game here, but are you and Chris still offering the TMT mesh soft top conversions previously discussed here. I'm enviously providing photos below of the fortunate few who got one before the FB page was decommed in the selfish hope that you might reconsider doing a few more for those of us late adopters who are just now discovering how perfect a product this is for the Roadster.

And, by all means, if someone reading this has one to sell (the full soft top conversion, not the original, shorter Taylor Mesh Top that doesn't mate with the windows up), pls PM me, thx.

@jory's Jet Black (since sold)
img_0736-jpg.9316

@ipdamages's Brilliant Yellow
imag0114-jpg.22095

imag0121-jpg.22099

@W.Petefish's Alpine White
imag0212-jpg.6640

You have to find them used, Eric is no longer an active member on the site unfortunately. There were only a few of the full soft top conversion you were talking about and looking for. Jory's was the only one I ever seen placed up for sale. I have the slim one and prefer that honestly. The sides of the original soft top (used in the build) are so darn bulky that its a pain in the ass for me, then it consumes your trunk space that's ever so needed. Worse case I can put the original mesh top behind the seat. It was designed to filter some of the sun off you, not to protect the car from people reaching in. I put on the regular soft top if I'm in a parking lot going into a store and such.

I tried to find the FaceBook page for the top and that's gone as well. Link is dead:
Facebook Taylor Mesh Top

I haven't seen any activity on the Lotus forums either for these, however when the skinny goes up for sale there it gets picked up very very quickly since they're rare and not made anymore. Its an essential top if you ask me.

Others in the past have been trying to hunt down a mesh top too without any success. With that said I wouldn't be choosy on finding one built with the soft top rails if you honestly are looking for one unless you can pry one out of an owner selling their car. Even so I haven't seen any used Roadsters selling with this top, again showing how rare they are.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thx for the info, @wiztecy. I wrote to Chris directly and just got confirmation of my fears...

"Sadly, I no longer make the TMT because I sold my car and therefore, lost my jig for test fittings. It was a good run, I sold them nonstop and worldwide for about 7 years with no significant advertising."

Chris/Eric, if you're reading this, thx for supporting the hobby and sorry I missed the boat on what is arguably the coolest accessory made for these cars.

@ipdamages/@W.Petefish (or any other TMT soft top conversion owners)... if you do decide someday to part with your Roadster, I'd be forever grateful if you'd consider selling your top separately, thx!

@bonnie... even post-sale, you're here to help your Roadster brothers out, thx!
giphy.gif

I'm also continuing to correspond with Chris directly and he just happens to live nearby so perhaps there's still hope. Now, if I can just find a donor soft top...

@TEG/mods, pls change the subject line of this thread to read "Taylor Mesh Top Conversion (TMTC)" which, according to Chris (and per Eric here), is the official name of this product, thx.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonnie
Honestly, I can't imagine this would be too difficult to do yourself. The mesh appears to be solar screen material that you can buy at Home Depot. With a donor soft top, you could use the existing material for the pattern.
My plan exactly. Already snagged a donor top. The main challenge, I think, is to figure out how to attach the web fabric to the side pieces. I've never looked at one of the Taylor units up close, so don't know what approach he took. Can anyone provide a close-up picture?

I also need to replace the cabling for the front and back edges (the donor top had already donated these to a more worthy cause). Not sure if getting the original cables (or the Lotus variety) is best, or if another material (thinking nylon cord?) would be more compatible with the meshing.

Note: I've been meaning to post this for some time on Chris' behalf and am finally getting around to doing it. Photos below are provided with his approval. Please DO NOT duplicate or distribute them without his permission.

--------------------------------------

One More for the Road(ster): The Making of the Taylor Mesh Top Conversion

IMG_3626.jpeg

Chris Taylor and his Taylor Mesh Top Conversion (TMTC) shown here installed on a 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Sport.

I met with Chris earlier this year to see if he'd consider coming out of "retirement" to make one more TMTC for my Roadster. It turns out he hadn't officially wrapped up the mesh top fabrication business but had stopped actively promoting and producing the TMT after selling his Elise and, in the process, losing his "jig" for fitment testing. He still has plenty of the mesh material left as well as the templates and tooling to make TMTs but without a way to properly test fit things, it didn't make sense for him to continue.

TMTCs on the other hand were even harder to justify producing as you needed to first source the Lotus Elise soft top side rails which are difficult to find pre-owned. Assuming you can find a set, he still needed a jig as mentioned. To address this, I offered to leave my car with him and he went to work.

What follows is my recollection of the process. For those wanting to attempt the conversion yourselves, be advised this is not a 1-day DIY job. It requires extreme patience, attention to detail and intolerance for imperfection to pull off correctly; particularly with the final sizing and fitment adjustments.

Step 1: Removal of Old Top Material
Chris first removes the old canvas material (and insulation if it's a Touring top) by cutting and peeling it away. It's sewn, glued and riveted in place and unfortunately, according to him, there's no way to save it for reuse so make sure you either have a deteriorated donor core or are at peace sacrificing a perfectly good soft top to the Car Gods.

Step 2: Hardware Prep
Once the top is removed, the painstaking process of removing the old adhesive from the side rails begins. Chris also assesses the condition of the tension cables and, if bad, substitutes them accordingly with corrosion resistant stainless steel replacements. After the prep is completed, he turns his attention to the mesh itself.

Step 3: Mesh Sizing + Cable Placement
The now-removed old canvas top provides a good initial sizing from which to start. Chris cuts an oversized piece of mesh and marks the lines where the cables will run with a grease pencil (see Fig. 1).

IMG_3481.jpeg

Figure 1. TMTC mesh fitment in progress. Passenger's side front edge at bottom right. White grease pencil lines drawn to illustrate where tension cables will run. Note attaching strip already riveted in place.

Step 4: Riveting the Attaching Strip to the Side Rail
In addition to adhesive, the side rails incorporate a metal attaching strip that gets riveted through the mesh to hold the top material in place (see Figs. 2 - 3). If adjustments are needed, the rivets are drilled out and the mesh repositioned before being re-riveted (see Figs. 4).

IMG_3486.jpeg

Figure 2. Quality checking the passenger's side attaching strip and mesh mating points.

IMG_3490.jpeg

Figure 3. View of full mesh top under construction with Tesla Roadster "jig" in the background. Driver's side front edge at bottom right.

IMG_3496.jpeg

Figure 4. Drilling out an attaching strip rivet following QC inspection.

Step 5: Fitment and Preliminary Tautness Testing
Once the preliminary sizing is complete and the top material affixed to the side rails via the attaching strips, it's time to test fit. Chris attaches one side rail to the car and does a stretch test rolling the opposite side rail into place to ensure he has a) the cable tension just right and b) the width correct for the center lateral portion of the top (see Fig. 5).

Achieving the perfect level of tautness requires much trial and error so this is where patience is needed. This process is critical as any incorrect sizing or tension will result in cosmetic anomalies. Too loose... and the top will sag. Too taut... and the strain on the top bows and mesh material could lead to premature wear/failure. If adjustments are required, the top is removed and Steps 4 - 5 repeated until the correct results are achieved.

IMG_3499.jpeg

Figure 5. Test fitting the TMTC on a LHD U.S. spec Tesla Roadster. Note the front and rear mesh material remains unaffixed.

Step 6: Attaching the Front & Rear Mesh
Even harder than the center lateral adjustments, achieving ideal front and rear mesh tautness can be vexing. It takes Chris numerous attempts to get this dialed in as he has to account for both side-to-side tension as well as fore-aft tautness. To complicate matters there's a slight taper and curve to the side rails and top placement on the car he has to factor in. Again, a very inexact science is employed that requires many trips to the car and back to the table for adjustments.

Once the desired corner to corner top tautness is achieved, the excess mesh material is removed. The remaining flaps are then looped over the tension cables and sewn and glued into place (along with the side rails which receive glue as well). I can't recall the specific machine or thread Chris uses for the sewing but his adhesive of choice is RH Products HH-66 Vinyl Cement which is specifically formulated for vinyl product adherence and is liquid proof (see Fig. 6). Chris must insure everything is exact before this is done as it's a messy, time consuming and pain staking process to undo and redo if not. Worst case, he has to scrap the job and start the project over from scratch.

IMG_3503.jpeg

Figure 6. RH Products HH-66 Vinyl Cement shown in 4 oz. container.

Step 7: Adhesive Curing and Final Fitment
The vinyl cement is fast-drying but since the material it's meant to hold will be under constant tension, Chris opts to let it dry completely for a full 24 hours minimum. Under cooler ambient temps, a longer curing time is obviously recommended.

"Final" fitment often isn't. In my case, all four corners exhibited a moderate to severe sagging which both Chris and I agreed was unacceptable. Based on his previous TMTC fabrications, he suspected a slight tightening of the cables might do the trick. So after removing the adhesive and thread to access the tension adjusters, he tightened the cables and ran another test fit. This time, the corners smoothed out nicely and the finished product was ready for use (see Fig. 7).

IMG_3592.jpeg

Figure 7. The final product completed and mounted to the car.

Conclusion and Acknowledgments
We took the Roadster and its new lid out for a test drive on Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. and it was a blast (see Fig. 8)! He missed his Elise but felt the Roadster was definitely able to hold its own through the twisties. As for the TMTC, having previously used an original TMT with its small gap between the top of the windows when rolled up, the noise levels in the car were now noticeably quieter since the windows now meet the bottom edge of of the side rails. We were able to carry on a conversation without having to raise our voices while getting to enjoy the sunshine with an ideal amount of glare and heat mitigated by the mesh.

IMG_3600.jpeg

Figure 8. Chris test driving the Tesla Roadster with TMTC installed.

HUGE thanks to Chris for taking the time and consideration to work on this top for my car. He's created and developed what I believe is arguably the perfect top for our vehicles. Roadsters are meant to be enjoyed topless and after a few hours cruising, esp. in places like SoCal where the sun mercilessly shines 340+ days a year, having a TMTC takes the edge off what can often become an oppressive driving experience. Paired with JdeMO (and OVMS for addl. peace of mind), IMHO there is no better combination to discover and enjoy the world around you in a Roadster. Happy trails!

--------------------------------------

Epilogue
It's been nine months since Chris completed the top and it's holding up great. From the moment I left his house and throughout the Spring and entire Summer... including the SoCal Roadster Meet Up in August (see Fig. 9) it remained on. I only just removed it a few weeks ago when the threat of rain was felt and now I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can put it back on again.

Chris is in the process of relocating out of state for his job and said that this particular TMTC would be "the last one ever." While I sure hope that isn't the case, baring witness to the work involved in creating one makes this understandable. If these cars and their related accessories eventually become collectible, I predict this top along with the Visium will be highly sought after by collectors. However, if you're going for rarity, I'm genuinely thankful to Chris for accommodating my wish to become a member of his exclusive TMTC Club.

IMG_7191.jpeg

Figure 9. Roadster 2.5 Sport with TMTC at the 10 Year Anniversary Roadster Round-Up outside the Tesla Design Center in Hawthorne, CA.

Last edited by a moderator: