Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

TBC Completely F*&^ed Up Today!

atj777

Feb 25, 2020
Australia
Time-Based Control has worked pretty well for me for the last few months. The AI is next to useless but with adjusting my settings as required I have been able to get a pretty good outcome and have saved a lot of money.

Today, however, it completely screwed up and there's no logic at all to what it did.

I found that generally that during:
Off-peak: Charge the Powerwall and the house from the only the grid (I have only set Off-peak at night with no solar).
Shoulder: House will be powered from both Powerwall and Grid. The ratio seems to change so I don't know how it decides. It doesn't charge the battery*
Peak: it will not use the grid at all, unless the Powerwall is at or below the reserve. House powered from battery/solar

* If I don't set an Off-peak period but still have the Shoulder, the Shoulder period seems to work like the Off-peak.

For the last 2 days I've had it set to:
Off-peak: 00:00-01:00
Peak: 01:00-00:00
to just add a little to the battery overnight. The days before I've had variations on that with the peak being 30 to 90 minutes long. That's all I need at this time of year.

This Thursday and how it should and has been working:
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8376.jpeg

Now, I made no changes between Thursday and Friday but this is what it did this morning:
IMG_8377.jpeg
IMG_8378.jpeg

What this now means is my Powerwall is likely to get to 100% and start sending excess solar to the grid. I only get $0.05/kWh but paid between $0.10 and $0.20 per kWh for the power it took from the grid that it shouldn't have. Now, this will only be a couple of dollars but it still should not have done it.

I have switched back to Self-powered for the moment.

Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC