Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TBH... this is my first rodeo, is EOQ always this crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OCJeff

Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
I’m looking to be sitting in a MY by around September. It seems like if I order in July I’ll likely wait until late August or September for a vin/delivery, and if I order around mid-September I’ll get matched pretty quickly.

Is end of quarter always this crazy and I’m just witnessing it for the first time? Or is this part of the MY still being fairly new?

Cheers,
-Jeff

It’s pretty much always crazy although may be improving with no expiring FTC, at least for now.

Also, there were no buyer incentives this quarter which is unusual iirc and may indicate they are trying to smooth out deliveries, which is a previously stated goal.

But why not push cars out the door for delivery all quarter? Why have the deliveries so lopsided? It’s not like it takes 90 days to build a car and they build for 90 days and then push to get them out of the door.

Maybe they are just learning how to deal with scale and growth as they add on to their manufacturing capacity with new models?

They prioritize cars built early in the quarter for outside of the US because it takes time to ship them overseas. Towards the end of the quarter they can fulfill the US orders because it doesn't take weeks/months to deliver them.

Reactions: OCJeff
I’m looking to be sitting in a MY by around September. It seems like if I order in July I’ll likely wait until late August or September for a vin/delivery, and if I order around mid-September I’ll get matched pretty quickly.

Is end of quarter always this crazy and I’m just witnessing it for the first time? Or is this part of the MY still being fairly new?

Cheers,
-Jeff
I've recommended this before:

Order now, and keep delaying until you're ready. You won't be able to time it, and prices could shoot up. If you delay delivery they could honor prices locked in today. If they lower prices, you can have it adjusted down.

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy
I've recommended this before:

Order now, and keep delaying until you're ready. You won't be able to time it, and prices could shoot up. If you delay delivery they could honor prices locked in today. If they lower prices, you can have it adjusted down.
Thanks, and that is exactly where I'm at. I've been sitting on an order since 2/14, and locked in the $48,990 price when they had that price drop. I just have not yet "completed" my order's registration, insurance or other details. I don't want to apply for the financing, and have that approval expire and then need to re-apply.

But now I've been watching these forms, and getting a better feel for the build cycle/flow of the MY and Tesla as a whole. I also see everyone getting their MY, which is awesome, but has me drooling on the sidelines.