Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TCS Daily - Elon Musk: From Paypal to Outerspace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MUSK: Yes. I'm chairman and principal founder of Tesla Motors, which is making a revolutionary sports car, the Tesla Roadster.

*sigh*

Why are Tesla (still) surprised that members of this site get negative when these types of comments are reported in the press?

Elon is the chairman and principal funder. The "founder" reference happens far too frequently for Tesla to claim that journalists are mis-hearing or mis-quoting.

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/pressguild.swf

Last edited:
Elon has this way of saying "funded" that really does sound a lot like "founded".

Well then maybe during this time of non-totally-positive-publicity the members of the Tesla Board need to take Elon aside and tell him to speak more clearly.

If you want the public to sing your praises, stop pissing them off.

*sigh*

Why are Tesla (still) surprised that members of this site get negative when these types of comments are reported in the press?

Elon is the chairman and principal funder. The "founder" reference happens far too frequently for Tesla to claim that journalists are mis-hearing or mis-quoting.

http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/pressguild.swf

Lying quotes

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it..............The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."
--- Joseph Goebbels, German Minister of Propaganda, 1933-1945

“A lie told often enough becomes truth”
-- Vladimir Lenin.

Solution

It is imperative that Martin develop a media campaign (Content/Distribution model), via blogs (w/RSS feeds), to maintain the truth. Like he is doing with the Tesla Founders blog. iTunes (especially video-podcasting) is a powerful aggregator:

- huge numbers & brand-name recognition
- distribution to iPod (mobile-media device), iTunes (online store), AppleTV (living room set top box)

For his upcoming July 3 talk, it needs to be recorded (audio, & preferably video) for iTunes podcast. Typing in "martin eberhard" in iTunes Store search brings up iTunes U podcast "Engineering (Stanford)", which has his audio talk. Strangely, the iTunes "Tesla Roadster" video-podcast I setup with search terms "martin eberhard" & "marc tarpening"..does not come up.

Jason Calacanis wrote this:
The four things that have come up most in advice on how to grow audience are (in
order):

1. Make great product on a consistent basis (duh).

2. Use a "super distribution" method (i.e. put your video on every single
service you can think of).

3. Use social services like Facebook (groups), Ning, Twitter, Pownce, MySpace,
Delicious, Digg, Propeller, etc. to build community and showcase your work.

4. Use SEO-friendly titles to get search traffic (i.e. if you're doing a show
about the new Tesla don't name it something clever like "driving into the future" but rather something people will type into a search engine like "Tesla test drive").
[ he & I are on the video-blogging group. Steve Chen/Youtube was on this group back in '05 ]

Twitter is pretty popular, subscribers can get alerts to a new blog-entry via cellphone. E.g., "another article published with a lie". Viral marketing via mobile-media.

Last edited:

Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt. They seem to use this "principle funder" term pretty often. From the Tesla company team page:

...He also serves as Chairman of Tesla Motors and has been the principal funder of the company...
That "Product Architect" title is new to me, though.

Yes. There needs to be more evidence of Elon taking the company forward to new things rather than repeated attempts to re-write its past.

Especially ironic since the official reason Martin was ousted was the delays in the Roadster production, and look how well Musk has performed in that regard. And the "cute" rewrite of funder to founder is really starting to get to me...

Cobos