TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tearing in Tesla's Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by seattlite2004, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Interesting comments by Munro at the end of this short video. Hoping for a longer version as he gets more into the guts of the car.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. dm33

dm33 Member

He makes some good points but he completely loses credibility with his anti Tesla attitude. The smirking. He cant do the door handles. That’s his problem.

But the lack of a manual way to get out of the back seat in case of power failure in unacceptable. Lawyers will ultimately have a field day when someone loses their life.

I looked at Tesla’s first responder manual. They seriously do have that complex process just to cut off the high voltage system. Have to pry open a hole in the bumper, jump that car w a 12v battery just to open the hood. Then take out a panel and cut.

On the other hand. The manual clearly describes where to cut by the trunk to get access where in the video he laughs in exasperation. His attitude in the video destroys his credibility.

• Like x 5
  3. technoz

technoz Member

Boy did they rip on the model 3 nothing new so far.

4. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

#4 jsrawa, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    So wait.... He broke his wrist so the handles are garbage? Incredibly negative. This guy seems like the life of the party.

• Like x 4
  5. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

Good lord. Don't let that guy near an Aston Martin.

Shorts getting real desperate lately.

• Like x 4
  6. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

He had zero positive comments of any kind. I wonder who funds them?

I’m pretty sure first fire responders would pop the frunk in about 2 seconds with a 5’ prybar. I saw them pop a hood that way in an ice car fire.

Secondary handle release or not doors often get jammed shut in crashes. We had a Honda Civic coupe. Back seat passengers didn’t have a window that opened let alone a door at all. This is getting over analyzed IMO.

• Like x 6
  7. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

I watched this with great bemusement - reminiscent of a Monty Python sketch - "Two sour old men gripe about everything"! It was so clearly not impartial that it lost any credibility.

I was kinda expecting them to start pointing out that the wheels were round ("Round - for goodness sake") and that there was lots of glass to break in an accident.

Even if it raised some (any?) valid points, it just felt like a (funded) hatchet job. Even made sure they tore into the shutlines without any evidence being shown and most reviewers seemingly happy with the overall quality.

Presumably the Model 3 complies with any relevant vehicle safety legislation and cannot be that different to many cars out there?

Let's see when the first crashes occur and how well the Tesla fares in comparison.....

• Like x 6
  8. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

#8 eye.surgeon, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    My initial response to this video was to dismiss it as minor griping, but if you look at the credentials of the man in the video, he's a highly respected expert on the subject of auto manufacturing quality with decades in the industry. He's not some guy with a youtube channel nor is he a big 3 shill.

We've given Tesla a pass on the body panel gap issue for years, I was expecting this to be resolved in their new car, clearly it is not. I also think Tesla continues to shoot themselves in the foot with overly complex solutions to already-solved problems.

I continue to love my Model S after 3.5 yrs of ownership, but no way I would buy a Model 3 right now, my reservation came up in December and I delayed it for these very reasons we are seeing. I'll see how they're coming off the line in 6 months or so.

• Like x 9
    • Disagree x 6
    • Love x 1
  9. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Circle the wagons!
    Attack the messenger!
    SHUN THE NONBELIEVER!!! :p

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
  10. Sparky

Sparky Member

I sold my Model S after 4.5 years. Took delivery on the 3 about 4 weeks ago. I'm so glad I didn't wait. What a car! Like methadone for a Porsche addiction and a totally legal high.
    I'll be self-medicating on Angeles Crest Highway up to Mt. Wilson tomorrow at sunrise.

Even though panels are perfect on my 3. After driving this car for a month, I can't imagine a degree of panel misalignment that makes me think, "damn, shoulda bought a BMW or an Audi (or a Cayman!) because, door handles...".

• Like x 13
    • Funny x 4
    • Love x 3
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I recall hearing that they gave some glowing praise to the BMW i3, but I didn't look into the details since I didn't care.

I just checked Sandy Munro | Munro & Associates, Inc. and yes, his credentials appear to be pretty impressive. Their web site is Munro & Associates, Inc. | Home of Lean Design and Design Profit.

• Like x 1
  12. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

How is this in any way, shape or form different from having child locks engaged on any other sedan?

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I'm suspecting that's a particularly early and crappy example. My panel gaps are fine and my trunk is easy to close.

His experience and credentials mean nothing if he's wrong or biased. People at Morton-Thiokol and/or NASA were experienced and well-credentialed and still blew up a space shuttle and killed 7 people.

• Like x 2
  14. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Amen.

First responders took exactly 5 SECONDS to pry open my S to cut the orange cables. The hood is so damn flimsy, it hardly takes any effort to pry it open.

Two old gasholes really straining hard to find something, anything.

• Like x 9
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Those aren't usually enabled unless there are small children in the back.

From looking at the Model 3 ERG at First Responders | Tesla, if the rear handles don't function for some reason, there's interior no mechanical release for them. I'm unclear if the front and rear exterior door handles are purely mechanical or if they actually electrical and engage a motor.

• Like x 2
  16. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

I initially thought of an allergic reaction to the 3 or somesuch when I first read the title.

17. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

It it was balanced I would consider it credible.

It isn't so I don't.

This guy is damaging his own reputation more than Tesla's.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 1
  18. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

That video is a sad waste of a perfectly good M3.

In the MS and MX rear passengers have to find a piece of string to pull to manually open the doors. In the MX it is even hidden behind a piece of trim.

IMO very few people will know about the string and how to find it, to the point where it may as well not be there. First responders met with a locked door on any car are not going to ask the occupant to locate a piece of string; they will just cut the door off.

• Like x 6
  19. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

#19 EinSV, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    “Cranky Consultants on the Payroll of Big Auto Bash Upstart Tesla, News at 11”:rolleyes:

• Like x 2
  20. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Unfortunately probably right. Even though there are millions of cars out there with NO doors at all for the rear passengers. Window breaker egress tool is the solution here too.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1