Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tearing in Tesla's Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comparing it to a coupe with no rear doors for egress is not quite right because most/all coupes have a method for quickly moving the seat forward and up to allow for exit. Sedans don’t and would require crawling around the seat and/or manually moving the seat up and forward. They also don’t go far enough forward for easy exit. Try it on your sedan sometime.

This is why I bought a two pack of glass breakers/seatbelt cutter tools from amazon. One will get mounted in the back and one in the front.

I think it's alarming to hear about some of the negatives he pointed out. Panel gaps and extra pieces being glued on instead of replaced.

That said, the early Cars were mostly buily by hand, so hoping the robots get it right as production ramps up. I knew I didn't want one of the first ones that came out for a lot of the reasons mentioned. Assuming my mid-2018 delivery should be solid

Reactions: SwisSojourners
I think it's alarming to hear about some of the negatives he pointed out. Panel gaps and extra pieces being glued on instead of replaced.

That said, the early Cars were mostly buily by hand, so hoping the robots get it right as production ramps up. I knew I didn't want one of the first ones that came out for a lot of the reasons mentioned. Assuming my mid-2018 delivery should be solid

I wish they'd disclosed the VIN, because there are always issues with early production cars.

This Model 3 delivered just before the end of 2017 seems better:

The owner notes that the driver's door was difficult to close when the car was delivered, but that the service center was able to fix the problem. He notes minor imperfections here and there, but nothing that is really bothersome. Nothing that he pointed out would bother me in the least, and overall the car doesn't seem worse in exterior build quality than any of the Hondas I have owned over the decades.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I didnt get past the opening comments that you have to cut the power cable twice so the ends can’t accidentally touch again and make the car live because...cut the power cable once and bend the ends in the opposite direction/hook them under something in the opposite direction will work quite nicely. Drama Queen much?
I actually agree with him. Much safer and foolproof to cut the wire twice. You don’t want it unbending and reenergizing 400v while your working in the car.

I didnt get past the opening comments that you have to cut the power cable twice so the ends can’t accidentally touch again and make the car live because...cut the power cable once and bend the ends in the opposite direction/hook them under something in the opposite direction will work quite nicely. Drama Queen much?
Its all in the Emergency responders guide, including accessing the the "little doodad" he mentioned and the double cuts.
He obviously didn't read the guide because if he had he would have read the bit that he only has to do that if the car has no power.
When its powered the normal trunk release works - as detailed in the guide.
He didn't mention that most EVs only have one cut loop or disable device.
The Leaf requires access to the rear seats, undoing four hexbolts, remove the cover THEN disable the car - and yet this buffoon hasn't seen anything like the Model 3.
Zero credibility.

I have same concern - I'm definitely waiting until they get another 5-10K cars built before I take my delivery. My Model S had hood panel issue they fixed at delivery and had to realign a year later. Not an acceptable issue when you spend 100K$ on a car.

I love my S and Tesla... I really hope they fix/improve fast (before the federal credits expire).

Reactions: zmarty

I agree. Gluing an extra piece of rubber window seal, because the original part was cut wrong? On one side of the car, but not on the other? Makes me wonder what other shoddy work is being done. Waiting a few more months may not be a bad idea.

Reactions: cwerdna
I actually agree with him. Much safer and foolproof to cut the wire twice. You don’t want it unbending and reenergizing 400v while your working in the car.

Exactly, that's why there's so much slack loop there, so the cut ends are going to be naturally well apart. I don't think he was really complaining about that much, it mostly came up because the guy was asking?

On the other hand the complaint about the 12v jumping port for the frunk is silly. They are about to cut into the vehicle, serious damage to the car has already happened. First responders are famously the Don't Screw Around Crew, of course they're just going to pop the frunk like a soda can.

The complaint about the rear power-cut point? I'm actually a bit surprised there's a sticker there at all, might be a regulation/CYA requirement? First responders obviously will need new training, it's a new vehicle on the road...and there's going to be a lot of them soon. That isn't really there for gramps to figure out in the moment what's up.

Reactions: dm33 and 03DSG
I agree. Gluing an extra piece of rubber window seal, because the original part was cut wrong? On one side of the car, but not on the other? Makes me wonder what other shoddy work is being done. Waiting a few more months may not be a bad idea.
As a professional tear-down company, these guys would have gotten as early a vehicle as money could buy. So yeah, little doubt this is one of the "artisan" units. No, it's not likely something that he's going to be used to seeing because Tesla is using a very aggressive approach to ramping up production that car companies don't use. He's got a solid points about the fit/finish of the car in front of him, it's just that it's unlikely to be directly applicable to anyone taking possession this year (except for the difficulty in closing the trunk, that's real).

Someone pointed out on Jalopnik that he was glowing about the i3 even though it shares many of the same problems he mentioned for Model 3 but he left out for the i3:
rear seat exit in emergency (you can't open i3 rear doors without opening front ones, and rear windows don't roll down), frunk access with dead battery, HV battery cut off in emergency (i3's ERG doesn't even appear to show where to cut, only that HV disconnects when airbags have activated, which is true of Teslas also AFAIK).

Unfortunately Tesla is behind the curve when it comes to fit of body panels. Some of his criticisms are a bit harsh. Emergency responders are briefed on the emergency procedures for all cars they are likely to encounter, so they probably know where to cut in a Model 3.

However some of his other criticisms are valid IMO. I am surprised Tesla didn't essentially repeat the backseat emergency releases from the Model S. They are on the front side of the seat and release the back doors in an emergency.