Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teaser photo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping it's a big hit just for Tesla's sake. Crossover/Mini-Suv cars are popular, though one of the big points with SUVs was room compared to sedans, but the Model S has a lot of room, so I'm curious what else the X will have as a selling point since room isn't a big gain over the S. Disclaimer: I dislike SUV's, so my perspective isn't coming from one of a innate enthusiasm so my interest is mostly just that of a Tesla supporter.

More headroom and a higher riding position also factor into things.

Looking at these pictures again it looks like the X is going to have massive amounts of headroom. If you assume the X uses the same seats as the S and you look at a picture of the S, those integrated headrests come up almost to the roof. However, in the second high contrast picture of the Model X it looks like there's 6-9 inches between the headrest and the ceiling.

Because you can't see the ground you can't get good perspective on how high the roof is. Perhaps it's so lofty that even in the back there's still decent headroom.

The Audi Q7 (Tesla's stated benchmark) is a foot taller than the Model S but the ground clearance is only 3" greater than the Model S. So if the Model X is 9-12 inches taller than the Model S with 3" more ground clearance and the same seats are riding on the skateboard then you might have 6-9 more inches of headroom. That would be one way to get 40% more interior space than a Q7 in the same general size!

Stating all this another way, you are only going to ride about 3" taller in the Model X over the Model S compared to a 9" lift from an Audi A7 to the Q7. You don't have this commanding view of the road like you would in a Hummer but you've got massive headroom - like riding in an atrium.

Updated BMW X6 M previewed in videos
Buyers can expect to relish the same 547 horsepower and 502 pound-feet of torque as last year, which should be good enough to scoot the beast to 62 mph in a scant 4.7 seconds

I'm guessing the performance model will beat this

I'll go further out on a limb. It will beat it by more than a second (i.e., it'll be quicker to 60 than a Roadster Sport). I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled 1g from 10-30 mph. Don't underestimate the effect of having two motors and twice as much contact patch. It can make up for a whole lot of extra mass.

Think about that for a while. This thing is an SUV!

I cant wait to see the rest of it. Hopefully it has enough ground clearance to have some actual off road capability. I would love to be able to replace my trail blazer with a model X, but it would have to be able to do some basic off road work to meet my needs (mainly getting to my favorite hunting spot / camp site at a friends farm)

Think about that for a while. This thing is an SUV!

Actually it's not an SUV. Never was meant to be an SUV. It's a Crossover.

So for the people comparing it to MB G55 and Chevy Trailblazer et cetera you are setting yourself up for disappointment in my opinion.

It will have 9" of ground clearance and with the air suspension it can probably go up to 12". So it will be great in dirt and snow, but there is no chance of rock crawling in this thing.

I agree with bolosky - I think it will be wicked fast!

Since probably only 10% or less of people with SUVs ever take their SUVs off road, I think the crossover is the right way to go. As long as it can do simple off-road travel (no rock climbing, simply non-paved, uneven roads with ease) and have lots of storage then I think most people will be happy. Plus a sub 5 second 0-60 time should help.

Since probably only 10% or less of people with SUVs ever take their SUVs off road, I think the crossover is the right way to go. As long as it can do simple off-road travel (no rock climbing, simply non-paved, uneven roads with ease) and have lots of storage then I think most people will be happy. Plus a sub 5 second 0-60 time should help.

I agree completely. Currently I have a trail blazer, but simple off road is all I do with it (driving through fields and unpaved roads going up a hill) I do not rock climb, or need a vehicle that can. I also do not ford streams, run over downed trees, or plow snow with it. If the Model X has 4WD and 9-12 inches of ground clearance, it will do everything I need to off road. I bought my trail blazer because the crossovers that were on the market at the time simply did not have this capability, or more commonly, did not have enough storage space to meet my needs.

The one place where a true SUV EV shines if fuel economy. For those 10% of SUV owners who really need an SUV, gas mileage is back breaking (For me, it was cheaper to buy a second car than it was to drive my Trail Blazer every day) A SUV EV that can do everything a regular SUV can do, without using gas, would be game changing in that market, and would probably sell quite well.