Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tebay supercharger for northbound travellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In our “pre - Tesla” life my wife and I were frequent users of Tebay services because a) we love the farm shop and b) we have/had parents living in Englandshire and Tebay was a convenient stop. On occasions we used the direct road between the north and southbound services.
The first time heading north up the M6 in our new Tesla the in car navigation wanted to route us off the M6 before we got to a Tebay and take us a long way round country lanes to get to the southbound superchargers. For those of you who may have this routing it is totally unnecessary. Continue northbound on the M6 to the services, head into the northbound services and immediately after the farm shop building take a left into the overflow carpark. Straight through the carpark and you immediately pick up signs to the Tesla chargers. These take you straight over the motorway(s) into the southbound service area. Much easier and shorter than following the Tesla navigation.
Many of you probably already know this route but it may help some folk who are unaware of it.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

On a related note, does anyone know how we can improve tesla's navigation, i.e. do they use an open source mapping service for their navigation maps?

I've seen recent posts proving that they use openstreetmap for the advanced summon/carpark maps, do they use OSM for routing generally?

In our “pre - Tesla” life my wife and I were frequent users of Tebay services because a) we love the farm shop and b) we have/had parents living in Englandshire and Tebay was a convenient stop. On occasions we used the direct road between the north and southbound services.
The first time heading north up the M6 in our new Tesla the in car navigation wanted to route us off the M6 before we got to a Tebay and take us a long way round country lanes to get to the southbound superchargers. For those of you who may have this routing it is totally unnecessary. Continue northbound on the M6 to the services, head into the northbound services and immediately after the farm shop building take a left into the overflow carpark. Straight through the carpark and you immediately pick up signs to the Tesla chargers. These take you straight over the motorway(s) into the southbound service area. Much easier and shorter than following the Tesla navigation.
Many of you probably already know this route but it may help some folk who are unaware of it.

Yes, before we got our M3 we scouted out this arrangement at Tebay so were prepared! Stopping at Tebay is no hardship so we have been pleased to use it a couple of times. Knowing that you can cross over from northbound to southbound is important information for all Tesla folk.

As a regular driver up the M6 to Scotland this is excellent advice. That I will most certainly use.
Thanks!

Would be really useful actually to have a list of all service stations where Tesla superchargers are located on one side of the motorway but easily accessible from the other side.

This thread forced the geek in me to do some research... Rear Access - motorway services

Just wondering, if the bridge/road joining North and Southbound is between the two service areas but not between them and non-motorway public road, do these reasons for no public access still apply? The reasons are largely about ensuring that only proper junctions are used for joining or leaving the motorway network.

Just wondering, if the bridge/road joining North and Southbound is between the two service areas but not between them and non-motorway public road, do these reasons for no public access still apply? The reasons are largely about ensuring that only proper junctions are used for joining or leaving the motorway network.

Best to just keep it at the "wondering" level! You can bet if someone starts asking serious questions it will prompt some jobsworth to come up with a rule that says it can't happen any more. From what I've been reading Charnock Richard services has been a major problem because of the inconsistent access north/south.

As a regular driver up the M6 to Scotland this is excellent advice. That I will most certainly use.
Thanks!

The only drawback of going across to the southbound side at Tebay is that you miss feeding the ducks on the northbound side pond! Tebay has been voted best services in UK so it's usually no hardship spending some time there ... great farm shop, food and other quality items.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
On a related note, does anyone know how we can improve tesla's navigation, i.e. do they use an open source mapping service for their navigation maps?

+1

Pennyhill Park destination charger directions coming from east direction from M3 J3 are wrong - they take you to the tradesman's entrance and its an awkward U turn in the dark I would imagine, not easy in the light either, apparently ;) (I was on an explore...) They are correct though coming from the west. They also need someway of warning about the price of the coffee!

Tebay is good as they have a full compliment of chargers, all pushing 150kw. Next stop north is gretna which only has 4 :-(. Had to wait in line for the first time ever last weekend, and I go up and down the M6/m74 lots.

Last edited:
The only drawback of going across to the southbound side at Tebay is that you miss feeding the ducks on the northbound side pond! Tebay has been voted best services in UK so it's usually no hardship spending some time there ... great farm shop, food and other quality items.
I was recently travelling Northbound approaching Tebay and took the “long way”. The route for this takes you past a sign for M6 northbound. Next time I will definitely exit at Tebay northbound and cross over to southbound for Supercharger and then re-cross to head northbound. Public roads so no problem crossing.

A minor compensation, but if you visit the southbound side in winter there has been a fantastic Pied Wagtail roost in the bushes in the carpark.

Reactions: Adopado