TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tech package - 16gb hard drive?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by teslasguy, Feb 26, 2013.

1. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

#1 teslasguy, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    I could have sworn that when I ordered my car the specs for the tech package talked about a 16gb hard drive which could be used to upload our favorite music as well as phone contacts to.
    However, I don't see any reference to this anymore. Am I just dreaming here? or maybe it was a feature listed for the premium sound package? I have both options in my car.
    Also curious as to when Tesla is planning to replace all the sun visors as promised with new ones that have the led mirror lighting. My wife hates the current plastic visor mirrors and I keep telling her these are just temporary visors.
    Perhaps a better thread title would be "features promised but not delivered"?

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It was there, but Tesla removed it, presumably to more accurately reflect the current state of the car. The last rumblings I heard was that an update would enable access to the internal hard drive for music storage and wifi for hotspot and (perhaps) music transfer functionality. I'm guessing Tesla is playing it safe on the site like they did when removing the vanity lights. Of course, since they also recently removed WIFI connectivity from the site, it could be like the rear USB ports and be nixed... but I choose to believe (hope) that it's temporary.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

See this post on the Tesla bulletin board:

Makes it sound like wifi will be coming soon in an update. At that time, or shortly thereafter, there will likely be a feature enabled to access internal storage.

4. shady

shady Member

There is this comment in the Studio Sound Package
    Is that what you were referring to?

5. Tommy

Tommy Member

Perhaps the "storage space" Tesla refers to is cloud based and not a physical drive in the car itself.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I believe the original text stated a capacity and used the phrase "on board"

7. Shorty

Shorty Member

I can fit 3,000 songs on my flash drive which I can then "store" in the USB connector!

8. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I'm glad someone asked this. I was under the impression I'd be able to store songs on the car, too, but I couldn't figure out how. I think it would be nice.
    The Bluetooth connection to my iPhone sometimes skips. It skipped a lot when in my pants pocket. I moved the phone to the cupholders or to the little pouch in the leather seat, and it skips less often, but still does hiccup. I wonder if the problem there is reception based, or if my phone or the car gets busy doing something else. It seems that there's very little buffer. Also, when playing music over my phone, I can't rewind/fast forward. Combined with an overall flaky implementation, audiobooks can be a real pain (sometimes they start where they started last time I started the book).

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yeah, given the flakey current bluetooth streaming I gave up on that pretty quickly. As has been mentioned, the current best work around is to buy a cheap flash USB drive, copy the stuff on it and leave it plugged permanently into the USB port. Works pretty well (you can skip around in a track, for instance) and is unobtrusive. The advantage is that you can pick the storage size you need.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That seems to make the most sense. My current ICE can store music on its hard drive (can even rip CDs too), but I only used it once just to see how it works. I like the idea of a portable solution and generally use flash drives or an old iPod Nano I keep in the car.

11. shady

shady Member

That's really disappointing to hear. At the moment, I stream podcasts during my commute to work from my iPhone. With the lack of a podcast app, I will be relying on Bluetooth streaming (just for simplicity).

I guess I'll find out soon, I should be picking up my car this weekend

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Just keep it in the cupholder... No real issues there. Move it around though, and it does tend to drop. I listen to audiobooks using the Audible app, and it even seems to skip ahead and then back sometimes.

13. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Yeah, the Bluetooth issues seem to be reception related. I keep my phone in my left front pocket, and if I move my hand over/around that area the Bluetooth cuts out temporarily. Moving it to my right pocket or the center console area works flawlessly. It would bother me more, but I usually charge the phone via USB while driving anyway.

14. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

There are a lot of podcasts on TuneIn radio.

15. bob_p

bob_p Member

The USB media storage works pretty well - and can (should be) improved in future software updates with features such as playlists, shuffle, ... - plus the algorithms they are using to reconstruct albums from the media files could use some improvement - because a number of the audio files on my USB are being identified as individual albums - and not part of a single album.

The BT will skip once in a while - but pausing/restarting the audio stream seems to work. I only use BT audio for Audible - since the Audible player will bookmark the last position and resume from there - plus it supports the Audible protected format. The BT could use a slight improvement by pausing the audio during navigation instructions - though it does automatically pause and resume for other activities (like phone calls).

A small annoyance is that you have to re-select the BT audio every time you get back into the car - while the audio system will remember a USB as the last media played - re-connecting a BT device doesn't keep it as the last media played.

But these are all relatively small issues - and, overall, the audio system works pretty well - and should only get better...

16. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Except if you turn off the car while listening to TuneIn, the podcast starts at the beginning when you return...

17. Elshout

Elshout Member

Teslaguy, I am with you except I thought the reference was to a 30gb drive. I also thought we were promised 7 years of free map updates. Perhaps the hard drive is only to store all the turn by turn GPS navigation information. I know my Mercedes S550 had a 30gb hard drive and that was used to store maps. I have never been able to get an answer of what happens to the Google maps when one is out of cell phone range.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

No maps are displayed

19. Shorty

Shorty Member

I have an iphone 5 and I have no issues with skipping even when the phone is in my jacket pocket although I tend to just leave it charging via the usb port in the centre console.

20. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

I don't have problems with BlueTooth streaming (iPhone 4S). But I take my phone out of my pocket and put it in the cubby under the screen, or in the storage area on the floor. Mostly so that it will get better cell reception.

If the in-car storage is really 16GB, then that's good to know. I had been holding off on buying a high capacity USB thumb drive because I figured I could just put stuff in the car's storage, but I believe I would exceed 16GB.