Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech Package: Not so tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And even better if they are implemented in the form of adaptive cornering lights with dynamic light, meaning they

a) adjust automatically between high- and low-beam, depending on oncoming traffic (actually the systems VW and other automakers offer don't just switch the high-beams on and off but continuously adjust the lighted area so you can leave high-beams on all the time, not sure Model S offers that?) like so:

View attachment 8836

The diagram makes it appear that the bright lights will be left on until there is a certain distance between the cars. If that's the case, then the system is a fail. If you can see either the headlights or taillights of another car, then your bright lights should be off--regardless of distance--because the bright lights will still dazzle the other driver's eyes.

So the question on storing 'favorites' was basically not answered. I gave up on the email exchange at that point, didn't seem much point in further discussion with the Tesla rep until I have an actual Model S in my garage to play with.

At least 'favorites' is the kind of thing that might come with a software update, based on customer requests. I think I asked about it at the October event, but don't remember the answer (probably too early), and hope I'll remember to ask the next time.

The diagram makes it appear that the bright lights will be left on until there is a certain distance between the cars. If that's the case, then the system is a fail. If you can see either the headlights or taillights of another car, then your bright lights should be off--regardless of distance--because the bright lights will still dazzle the other driver's eyes.

No they won't, not with these systems. That's the beauty of it. I've seen it in action, it's unbelievable until you have seen it work.
For a lack of a better description, the system "cuts out" the portion of the light that would hit oncoming traffic (or cars driving in front of you). Believe me, it does work perfectly.

No they won't, not with these systems. That's the beauty of it. I've seen it in action, it's unbelievable until you have seen it work.
For a lack of a better description, the system "cuts out" the portion of the light that would hit oncoming traffic (or cars driving in front of you). Believe me, it does work perfectly.

That would be cool, so the diagram isn't quite correct then. It appeared as if there was some distance where the brights would still be full with oncoming cars rather than switch the moment you could see the car with your own eyes. I get what you mean about the light angling down, my question was more "When does this happen?" in terms of visibility of the oncoming car. In other words, if you can see the other car's head or taillights, then it should go into the no-glare mode immediately.

Are you serious or joking? Isn't that total and utter fluff?
I approach my car, press the button on the key, it unlocks, I get in, stick the key in its place and turn it to ignite the ICE. All in all the process takes less than ten seconds and no hard labor whatsoever.

How is not having to press one button and turning a key alone worth thousands of dollars :confused:

That's what I thought ... until about 6 weeks after getting a car with keyless entry/start and I had to drive my wife's car. Yeah, that task of taking the key out, pushing the button, etc. really, really seemed (and still seems) like a burden. I too, will always opt for this feature in the future. I'd venture to guess that a LOT of people think it's a ridiculous option -- until they have it for a while...

That's what I thought ... until about 6 weeks after getting a car with keyless entry/start and I had to drive my wife's car. Yeah, that task of taking the key out, pushing the button, etc. really, really seemed (and still seems) like a burden. I too, will always opt for this feature in the future. I'd venture to guess that a LOT of people think it's a ridiculous option -- until they have it for a while...

I guess you're right. One gets used to a lot of things once considered unnecessary.
I was just amazed when the original poster said the keyless access feature alone would be - to him - worth the price of the tech package. That seemed a little ridiculous to me.

That would be cool, so the diagram isn't quite correct then. It appeared as if there was some distance where the brights would still be full with oncoming cars rather than switch the moment you could see the car with your own eyes. I get what you mean about the light angling down, my question was more "When does this happen?" in terms of visibility of the oncoming car. In other words, if you can see the other car's head or taillights, then it should go into the no-glare mode immediately.

Yes, the diagram is a bit misleading.
Simply put, basically the brights are on all the time. The system adjusts the path of the beam according to the circumstances, so in effect, the brights appear like low-beams to cars driving in front of or towards you.

Simply put, basically the brights are on all the time. The system adjusts the path of the beam according to the circumstances, so in effect, the brights appear like low-beams to cars driving in front of or towards you.

With xenon lights, there are no separate high beam bulbs. It's all (low&high beams) done by a single xenon bulb and a motor which adjusts the light pattern. The new VW system is probably just a new version of this, allowing more settings between low & high beams.

Right, I got that part. My question was when do they shift? Hopefully, it's as soon as your eyes could detect a headlight or taillight.

Thanks Greg. The non-tech-pacakge car would still get "regular car" interior flood lighting when the doors are open, is that right?

Right, two overhead lights between the visors, and TM has said they are reworking the lights for the rear passenger area. The theory is they'll be over each door entry in the back. Not sure if the units coming off the line now have that or if they're on the due bill.

The tail gate has a downward light and two cargo lights near the corners just above floor level. Frunk has a light casting back from the front side.

Regarding POI: I would like to have an on-board database that is available as a backup to the Google search, for those times that connectivity is absent. It's not hard at all to find areas with little or no coverage. Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Pacifica is rife with such areas.

Also, I would really like to be able to upload my address book to the car so that I could navigate to a friend's address easily. Obviously, I don't need the addresses of my friends on the East Coast, but the folks who live in the area would be a welcome addition.

Regarding POI: I would like to have an on-board database that is available as a backup to the Google search, for those times that connectivity is absent. It's not hard at all to find areas with little or no coverage. Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Pacifica is rife with such areas.

Also, I would really like to be able to upload my address book to the car so that I could navigate to a friend's address easily. Obviously, I don't need the addresses of my friends on the East Coast, but the folks who live in the area would be a welcome addition.

Not just for connectivity issues, but speed in map refresh too! Maybe Google can (or does) offer some form of caching for this purpose.

It would be great if, say via blue tooth, it could tap your contacts on your phone.