Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech Package: Not so tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question. I did not get the tech pack. I though for what you get it was a bit expensive.
But Im wondering how entry to the car works. Do the handles come out? Does it unlock?
What is the procedure.

Thank you

I have the tech package, but I believe to get the handles to come out without it you have to double click on the roof of the keyfob to extend the handles (assuming the car is in the locked state). The double click unlocks the car and presents the handles. Single click will lock the car and retract the handles. If the car was already unlocked, you can tap on the handles and they will extend.

I have a question. I did not get the tech pack. I though for what you get it was a bit expensive.
But Im wondering how entry to the car works. Do the handles come out? Does it unlock?
What is the procedure.

Thank you

I could be wrong, but I think the car senses the key fob and unlocks as you approach. To open, you can click the top of the fob once (to extend drivers door handle), twice (to extend handles on all four doors), or touch the drivers handle to extend it.

Someone please correct me if this is not right.

I could be wrong, but I think the car senses the key fob and unlocks as you approach. To open, you can click the top of the fob once (to extend drivers door handle), twice (to extend handles on all four doors), or touch the drivers handle to extend it.

That is correct. With the tech package, you can keep the key fob in your pocket as you walk up. Handles auto extend, doors unlock and you simply open the door.

One click on the top of the fob locks the car. Two click unlocks the car and extends all 4 handles. There is no driver/other doors feature. I believe (this is from memory) you always have to double-click the fob to unlock the car - touching the handle with the fob in your pocket is a tech package feature.

One click on the top of the fob locks the car. Two click unlocks the car and extends all 4 handles. There is no driver/other doors feature. I believe (this is from memory) you always have to double-click the fob to unlock the car - touching the handle with the fob in your pocket is a tech package feature.

Thanks for the clarification. Two questions:
1. What does a single click do if the car is already unlocked?
2. What Tech Package scenario allows you to touch the door handle to extend, if auto-extend is part of the package?

Perhaps someone who has a car without the Tech package could chime in on the door unlock / handle extend situation?

From email correspondence with my rep and in concert with the spec page which says keyless entry for the standard car, my impression has been that the doors of a non-Tech package car unlock as you approach with a key FOB and you can then extend them by pressing the handle. I personally would be very much interested in how things work from a non-Tech car owner since my car will not have the Tech package.

Thanks for the clarification. Two questions:
1. What does a single click do if the car is already unlocked?
2. What Tech Package scenario allows you to touch the door handle to extend, if auto-extend is part of the package?
Single click locks the car.
The auto-extend is a user setting with the tech package. You don't have to enable that feature. So if that feature is turned off you can walk up to the car and touch the handle to unlock, extend, and open, or you can double-click to unlock and extend.

- - - Updated - - -

From email correspondence with my rep and in concert with the spec page which says keyless entry for the standard car, my impression has been that the doors of a non-Tech package car unlock as you approach with a key FOB and you can then extend them by pressing the handle. I personally would be very much interested in how things work from a non-Tech car owner since my car will not have the Tech package.
My car has the tech package and I'm going from memory of talking to Tesla store reps so take it for what it's worth but I don't think your statement is correct. The non-tech car still has "keyless" entry as there is no key that you enter into a lock and turn to unlock the doors. However you must press the buttons on the fob. This is similar to how other keyless systems work (our Subaru, Jeep, etc) where you have lock and unlock buttons on the fob. You need the tech package if you do not want to have to touch the fob to lock and unlock the car.