Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech package with autopilot v autopilot convenience features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the difference is between "Tech package with autopilot" which was priced at £3,500 when I ordered my 85D about 3 weeks ago and "Autopilot convenience features" priced at £2,100 today? (except the price!)

A bunch of stuff - driver profiles and Navigation and automatic door handles (now standard on all Model S,) Power lift gate and fog lights and cornering lights (moved to the new Premium package,) probably some other tidbits that went one way or the other that I'm forgetting.

Tech package was a convenient place to group all of the more sophisticated features, and included AutoPilot. It no longer exists, AutoPilot is now going to be a standalone software only bit - which can be enabled after delivery for a slightly higher fee - and the rest got made into standard features or folded into other packages when Tesla radically altered the whole stack with the 70D release.
Walter

I was very upset as well, as I heard about the radical changes to the Tesla S packages the day after my Tesla S order was confirmed. However, I'm now convinced that you have not lost out - and neither have I. This is because the power lift gate is now in a different package, which costs an additional £2500. You and I got this as part of the Tech pack.

So I'm getting from the replies that I'm not getting anything extra for my additional £1,400 as the additional features are now included as standard? And to make matters worse I'm also paying £750 extra for the panoramic roof.

It depends on which tech features were important to you. A bunch of the fundamental ones became standard, yes. A lot of other useful and important things moved in to the premium package, so you'd have to order that and get the fancy headliner to get the power lift gate and fog lights now.

Tesla restacked the deck, but it wasn't all one way and I really don't think one simple analysis can say whether the new or old was better.

Some folks who bought Tech without Premium would now be happy with just Autopilot and would save a bunch of money.

Some folks who bought Tech without Premium will now want/need to buy Premium and Autopilot, and end up spending more money than before the change (and getting more features, just ones they'd decided they didn't need before.)
Walter